Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:17 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,131,086 times

Advertisements

This is kind of a weird topic.

I'm a guy in his mid-30s. I do have friends. I have a best friend who is solid, a few other good ones, female friends too, but as I've reached my mid-30s, I've lost a lot of friends and my social life to marriage, kids, and people flaking on me more or less. I would like to expand my social life. In particular, it'd be nice to have a couple more GOOD, LOYAL male friends, not flakes and friends for the moment.

So, how does a guy in his 30s make friends with other guys in their 30s. This seems to me almost a taboo thing. You don't just ask another guy to hang. Women do this all the time and it's fine.

And it seems mostly that if some guys aren't looking for girls, they have nothing to do or talk about. I'm not looking for those types really.

I guess my first question is "Are there any men who are looking for more male friends?"

And 2) "If so, how can I go about meeting them?"

Told you it was awkward.

EDIT: Work and school are out...

Last edited by jobaba; 07-08-2012 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 03:19 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,686,450 times
Looking back at my friendships, I would say most came about from sports and recreation, very few thru work. A few were husbands or boyfriends of friends of my various girlfriends. But the best and longest are from play! I participate in a few sports that while not "extreme", my safety does depend on having someone solid with me. Sharing danger seems to bond a friendship and almost every good adventure ends with us sharing a few beers and a few laughs. But I'm in my 60s, not sure how it works in your 30's.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:19 PM

328 posts, read 999,374 times
I would say a good way to find friends is join a group or activity where you can meet like minded individuals. If you have a girlfriend or wife then you will probably become friends with her friends significant others. It can also happen randomly too. My cousin in his thirties became close friends with a neighbor who lived across the street.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:59 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,927,277 times
You are very lucky to have a loyal best friend and a few other good ones, I think when you get older it is definitely more about quality than quantity when it comes to having true good friends.

Having said that just act really friendly when you are participating in an activity that you enjoy- sports or hobbies, - it might sound cliche but volunteering somewhere where you are really giving of yourself is a great way to run into other quality folks- guys included.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:00 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,748,762 times
I randomly thought about this the other day when i was watching a movie on tv.

if two male meet each other for the first time and want to stay in contact do they ask for each other's phone numbers? do they say 'let me put your number in my phone?' what do they do? LOL.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:26 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,150,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
So, how does a guy in his 30s make friends with other guys in their 30s. This seems to me almost a taboo thing. You don't just ask another guy to hang. Women do this all the time and it's fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post

if two male meet each other for the first time and want to stay in contact do they ask for each other's phone numbers? do they say 'let me put your number in my phone?' what do they do? LOL.

It's not taboo where I'm from, at least depending on the circumstances of how you meet. If you have a common interest, like you like to play basketball, just say something like, 'hey we should shoot a few hoops sometime.'

Yes, to me that's just social networking. Everyone does it in their professional and personal life.

This might sound gay but I have a good male friend I met through a dating site. Yes, people do meet just friends on there. Our mutual lack of success led to us communicating on the dating site's chat feature, and we've been buds ever since. There are also sites dedicated to finding activity partners or even just peeps for social outings, those are good too.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:46 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,408,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post

That's not unusual at all where I come from. Same goes for 2 male friends having dinner / lunch together or going to the pub for a chat.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:19 AM

845 posts, read 1,351,661 times
I don't think it's awkward, I'm in the same boat. However, I have a kid of my own, so it's a little different or easier for myself.

I was just about to make a similar post. Not about 'how to get more guy-friends', but moving on from the previous friendships that all went to marriage and having kids. These friends don't include me on anything anymore, so it's time for me to move on as well. I am single and may stay single for a long time, but that doesn't me I can't enjoy myself, right?

To answer your post, I believe just going out and doing things that YOU enjoy doing. I'm going to make it a goal for this weekend to do just that. Whatever that may be.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:39 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,131,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
I don't think it's awkward, I'm in the same boat. However, I have a kid of my own, so it's a little different or easier for myself.

I was just about to make a similar post. Not about 'how to get more guy-friends', but moving on from the previous friendships that all went to marriage and having kids. These friends don't include me on anything anymore, so it's time for me to move on as well. I am single and may stay single for a long time, but that doesn't me I can't enjoy myself, right?

To answer your post, I believe just going out and doing things that YOU enjoy doing. I'm going to make it a goal for this weekend to do just that. Whatever that may be.
Yea, this is kind of the way it was for me.

I find it sad that people don't try and hang on to their friends. It takes so little effort to respond to texts or hang out once a month.

I also realize at my age a lot of people have an established social network. But there must be other men in their 30s looking for buds.

It's just kind of awkward to get the ball rolling, I guess.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:20 AM

977 posts, read 1,817,333 times
I'm in the same boat. It's actually easier for me to get a date than it is to make a new male friend/acquaintance, kinda pathetic.

OP, too bad you don't live in the same city as me or I would want to hang out since you seem like a good person, very thoughtful. Or did that seem too gay to say, j/k. Anyway, my close male friends have a lot more friends than me and they've met them through church, work, and sports leagues.

I hear you, a lot of people are nice at least on the surface, but it's hard to find someone that you click with and vice versa, it's just like dating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships