Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Christmas, I will be:
With extended family or friends enjoying myself 31 22.79%
With just my immediate family 42 30.88%
With just my spouse or SO 20 14.71%
All alone, I have no one to spend the day with 43 31.62%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:22 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,778,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
I kinda agree with you, but for kids Christmas is a big deal for them and thats who I mostly buy gifts for. Adults who complain about being alone for Christmas or not getting gifts, get a grip. Your not alone in a nation of 300 million people and if your employed you can buy the things you whine to everyone about not getting on a particular day in December.
Hopefully this and also, based on your prior post, indicates that you'll be playing "Santa" to underprivileged/unfostered children in social care institutions. Good for you!

Old 12-15-2013, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 8,150 times
I'm in the isolated and lonely category. I've lived here in NYC alone since 2008 and I've YET to make any friends. Not a one. I've slowly witnessed my deconstruction since moving here. I was all hello and smiles and door opener in the beginning but it looks like being black and from the Midwest is like a disease. Now I'm an introverted recluse that's never not looking into an iPad or video game screen wherever I go. It's not so bad most of the time. For one, I'm not wasting money on presents. Though, I have to admit that this time of year (and only time) that it actually hurts to see happy couples or buddies enjoying each others company.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:34 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,933,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoh23 View Post
I'm in the isolated and lonely category. I've lived here in NYC alone since 2008 and I've YET to make any friends. Not a one. I've slowly witnessed my deconstruction since moving here. I was all hello and smiles and door opener in the beginning but it looks like being black and from the Midwest is like a disease. Now I'm an introverted recluse that's never not looking into an iPad or video game screen wherever I go. It's not so bad most of the time. For one, I'm not wasting money on presents. Though, I have to admit that this time of year (and only time) that it actually hurts to see happy couples or buddies enjoying each others company.

At least you live in a big city with bars, cafes, and other 24 hour places. I would definately take advantage of that. Where I live the only place that's open 24/7 is a convenience store where stoners and alcoholics hang out.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:37 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,933,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
I kinda agree with you, but for kids Christmas is a big deal for them and thats who I mostly buy gifts for. Adults who complain about being alone for Christmas or not getting gifts, get a grip. Your not alone in a nation of 300 million people and if your employed you can buy the things you whine to everyone about not getting on a particular day in December.
Christmas is mostly for the kids. Now that I'm in my 30's, single and childless it means little to nothing to me. My family is tiny with most being elderly and the other uninterested in holidays.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:33 PM

863 posts, read 1,130,682 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you feel this way. I'll admit, it is a little hard to make friends in this cutthroat city. I've been in the NYC metro area all of my life (mostly in LI), but as I was an innocent kid, I haven't really seen the segregation until I got older. Like you, I'm also black. Most of my friends either moved away or had kids, so I know what it's like to be alone a good portion of the time. However, it isn't all hopeless. Have you heard of meetup.com? If you're interested, I'd say join me and others in our very diverse group...we go to restaurants, bars, hiking, and other events on a consistent basis. It's really a lot of fun. I'm not trying to sell you anything as group membership is free. I'm just trying to reach out as I know how you feel at times. I'll PM you information about that group if you're interested.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:49 PM

769 posts, read 978,091 times
Quote:
Living in a big city is hard. I would go onto Craig's list on the volunteer section and see if they are looking for people. That is how I found out about wrapping presents for MDA Saturday night. Also hospitals are always looking for volunteers. This will get you in seeing people in a different light.

Reach out of your comfort zone and do something.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:29 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,910,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
So far only twenty percent are spending time with their extended family at Christmas. The media has everyone spending time with extended family. A disconnect to reality?
No, I think you're right. TV, movies, traditional stories (like A Christmas Carol) and even commercials show us that the 'ideal' christmas is filled with food and family and lovely decorations and important traditions.

And of course, there is "mom" or whoever plays the role in your family of trying to gather everyone together, then you feel guilty when you can't or don't want to.

There is absolutely NO reason why Christmas can't be celebrated/enjoyed by a couple or small family or even alone.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:19 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,922,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I am an introvert but I feel like I am morphing a little towards a middle ground. That being said, my current home was a foreclosure and I have enough things to do around the property that I feel like I could keep myself busy for thirty years or more ... and then there is City-Data.
I think that most of us are actually more "middle ground" than totally one way or the other. It depends on how we feel at any given time. Sometimes I enjoy being around people and sometimes I just don't want to. Either way is okay.

I manage to stay as busy around here as I WANT to...or not. lol And yeah, I spend a LOT of time on City Data.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:22 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,922,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Well said. I think this is a better way to say it than for just introverts. I am comfortable with being by myself too.
Growing up and then getting married, raising a family, participating in ALL the family 'stuff' over the years...well, it's just NICE that I don't HAVE to anymore. I do wish my family was 'nicer' to one another and, if invited, I'd be happy to spend time with them. But they aren't, and I'm not, so I'm happy I can enjoy spending the time by myself. I always have my mom and I try to make things nice for her.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:02 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,620,532 times
Default very well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
This was expected. It's the old blame the victim game in which so many are so eagerly searching the forums for targets. Please do tell me all about my "negative vibes" that you have contrived to attribute to me. I am most interested in how you will substantiate this accusation having never met me.

How else can we start off with another we just met? How about genuine human warmth? How about being open to them as a person in their own right? How about with a genuine interest in who they are as a human being? How about with sincerity? I've not seen that in a very long time, and your post presents a good reason for why that's so very lacking in what society has become. It's so very easy to cast aspersions on those who are hurting, we make such convenient and vulnerable targets, don't we?

The smell of blood is in the air, TALLY HO!!!!

Yes, I've lived with that all my life. One more reason I keep to myself.

On a different forum, "volunteers" at a soup kitchen were dissing the poor: It made me relate so very much to your post here.

To all the people here, introverts and extroverts, alike Peace and good will, too.

Its sad that somehow some social media and target practice goes on at this time of year, from road rage, to the net.

ops prolly a troll anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.