Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 04:28 PM

6,404 posts, read 6,301,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
I don't think my username says anything about me, and that's exactly how it should be. You can't judge much from a username about a person. Sometimes, someone will have a name chosen from their favorite comic book or a popular film or something, and that's revealing about at least one of their favorite things, but nothing else.

John-in-Maine: a male calling himself John which may or may not be his actual name, who lives in Maine. For all we know, it could be someone named Kevin in Kentucky who's referring to someone in a book or just a random thing that popped up in someone's cabeza that doesn't reveal a thing about them.

Like Yiuppy: I guess a cross between Yippeeee and a yuppie. That's about it. A yuppie going "yippee"? That says nothing about who I am and doesn't really reveal anything, does it?
That depends. Are you a happy yuppie?

That's what i infer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 05:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
I don't think my username says anything about me, and that's exactly how it should be. You can't judge much from a username about a person. Sometimes, someone will have a name chosen from their favorite comic book or a popular film or something, and that's revealing about at least one of their favorite things, but nothing else.

John-in-Maine: a male calling himself John which may or may not be his actual name, who lives in Maine. For all we know, it could be someone named Kevin in Kentucky who's referring to someone in a book or just a random thing that popped up in someone's cabeza that doesn't reveal a thing about them.

Like Yiuppy: I guess a cross between Yippeeee and a yuppie. That's about it. A yuppie going "yippee"? That says nothing about who I am and doesn't really reveal anything, does it?
The very fact that you choose a name that you think reveals nothing about you reveals something.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:48 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,128,297 times
13 is my lucky number. I was born on Friday the 13th and my St. Louis Rams won the SB with #13 Kurt Warner, so that PROVES it is lucky. lol Yeah and I guess I was rebellious as a kid. I try to use the same name everywhere so I can remember it.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:04 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,555,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I'm always amazed at how many people use the same username in ALL forums. It makes it so easy to figure out who they are.
Or not.
Mine is a common online screen name but you'd be mistaken to think they're all me. Here on C-D, it was just a spur of the moment thing. Nothing to do with the kind of biscuits you eat. I don't cook or eat biscuits. As I was signing up, my younger son had just emailed me, I was reading the book Seabiscuit, and I love horse racing. So I merged the two, no biggie.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:51 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,910,797 times
I've had folks think I'm a farmer .

Old 11-23-2014, 08:25 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,745,896 times
My name is just the name of one if our cats. I wanted something generic that didn't conjure up a particular image.

This thread is interesting and has answered questions I've had about names. Thanks for starting it.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:29 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,435,290 times
I was watching a documentary on Caligula when I stumbled upon CD while looking at reviews for an apartment complex I was looking into..

I had no idea there was even a huge forum for posting until a week or so later..

Old 11-23-2014, 10:21 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,581,826 times
I can't remember how I found City-Data but the Charlotte forum is where I originally spent most of my time. I don't think my user name conveys much more than the fact that I was born in Charlotte. If I had known I would still be around many years later I probably would have put more thought into my user name.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:15 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,425,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
In real life, we don't usually choose our own names (though I guess we could if we really wanted to). But on line, we get to do just that!

When we choose a user name, I think it can't help but represent some part of our psyche, whether we intend for it to or not. People will generally form some sort of opinion or first impression of us by our user name.

Personally, I chose my user name because I have great respect for Catherine of Aragon - in case someone out there doesn't know, she is a true historical figure, the first wife of Henry VIII, and I greatly admire her faith, her tenacity, and her dignity. She is an inspiration to me often, though I rarely reach her level of integrity!

However, sometimes people misread my name. I've had people think I was a big Lord of the Rings fan (Aragorn - LOL). If they're thinking that on the front end, they've already reached some erroneous conclusions about my inner life and my personality! Not that I don't like JRR Tolkein but it's not like I'm some sort of Lord of the Rings groupie!

I've also had people misread it - intentionally or not - as Arrogance. This always reminds me of an unfortunate tendency I have of coming across as arrogant when I write. I don't talk like I write, so IRL I don't get accused of arrogance, but when someone accuses me of it online, it's an indicator to me that perhaps that is a part of my psyche and I need to be aware of it and temper it. So though it was unintentional on my part, I have become aware that some people respond to me online with the thought of "Arrogance" bolstered by my user name.

What are your thoughts about user names online? Do you pay much attention to them? Do you find that they often indicate something about the user's personality? Do you think that yours is an accurate indicator of your own personality?
When I read your username, OP, I knew exactly what it stood for (I loved European history).

I chose my name, because I was stubborn girl. I used to adamantly spell cat with a "K" as a child when I was first learning how to spell and read the alphabets.. Through annunciation, although I was told it was spelled with a "C" I used to say "It could also be spelled with a K, too ya know.." I didn't really give much thought to my user name besides that. My auntie would always correct me "No, C" and I'd say "No, K. I like K for Kat. K-A-T, KAT!"

Old 11-23-2014, 11:22 PM

7,036 posts, read 4,923,628 times
My name was given to me when my coworkers found out I raised and showed mice. I like it and I've used it ever since. If it shows that part of my psyche where I like pocket pets, that's fine by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships