Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 09:19 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
My ex-wife gave me the nick.

Long ago in an online venue far, far away I saw her posting about something.
So I joined and responded to her questions and comments using this nick.

She responded to my points much more positively than she ever did when we were married.
Then it was at the end of an argu^6^6discussion when she would say something
like "Well, if you're going to insist on being all MrRational about it...

Since then (1998?) I've used the same user name in at least 5 or 6 venues.
That's sad. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 12:19 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
In real life, we don't usually choose our own names (though I guess we could if we really wanted to). But on line, we get to do just that!

When we choose a user name, I think it can't help but represent some part of our psyche, whether we intend for it to or not. People will generally form some sort of opinion or first impression of us by our user name.

Personally, I chose my user name because I have great respect for Catherine of Aragon - in case someone out there doesn't know, she is a true historical figure, the first wife of Henry VIII, and I greatly admire her faith, her tenacity, and her dignity. She is an inspiration to me often, though I rarely reach her level of integrity!

However, sometimes people misread my name. I've had people think I was a big Lord of the Rings fan (Aragorn - LOL). If they're thinking that on the front end, they've already reached some erroneous conclusions about my inner life and my personality! Not that I don't like JRR Tolkein but it's not like I'm some sort of Lord of the Rings groupie!

I've also had people misread it - intentionally or not - as Arrogance. This always reminds me of an unfortunate tendency I have of coming across as arrogant when I write. I don't talk like I write, so IRL I don't get accused of arrogance, but when someone accuses me of it online, it's an indicator to me that perhaps that is a part of my psyche and I need to be aware of it and temper it. So though it was unintentional on my part, I have become aware that some people respond to me online with the thought of "Arrogance" bolstered by my user name.

What are your thoughts about user names online? Do you pay much attention to them? Do you find that they often indicate something about the user's personality? Do you think that yours is an accurate indicator of your own personality?
I don't think my username says anything about me, and that's exactly how it should be. You can't judge much from a username about a person. Sometimes, someone will have a name chosen from their favorite comic book or a popular film or something, and that's revealing about at least one of their favorite things, but nothing else.

John-in-Maine: a male calling himself John which may or may not be his actual name, who lives in Maine. For all we know, it could be someone named Kevin in Kentucky who's referring to someone in a book or just a random thing that popped up in someone's cabeza that doesn't reveal a thing about them.

Like Yiuppy: I guess a cross between Yippeeee and a yuppie. That's about it. A yuppie going "yippee"? That says nothing about who I am and doesn't really reveal anything, does it?

Old 11-23-2014, 01:47 PM

19,717 posts, read 20,244,680 times
I wanted to be completely unknown on this board, so I didn't use my main tag that I go by elsewhere and IRL. My user name here is intentionally vague & shouldn't have meaning to anyone but me..

Old 11-23-2014, 01:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I wanted to be completely unknown on this board, so I didn't use my main tag that I go by elsewhere and IRL. My user name here is intentionally vague & shouldn't have meaning to anyone but me..
But what it does say - is that you are someone who doesn't want anyone on the forum to have any clue about who you are or what you like - which does say something about you after all...

Old 11-23-2014, 02:18 PM

19,717 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
But what it does say - is that you are someone who doesn't want anyone on the forum to have any clue about who you are or what you like - which does say something about you after all...
Good, then it's working..Lol

Old 11-23-2014, 02:39 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,920 times
Maybe it's just me, but the women that have "princess" or "angel" in their username/handle seem to, more often than not be the most annoying/trouble makers. I used to moderate a fairly large forum and of those on the ban list they were definitely disproportionate. Now when I see one I think there's some narcissism/entitlement going on.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:54 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,733,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but the women that have "princess" or "angel" in their username/handle seem to, more often than not be the most annoying/trouble makers. I used to moderate a fairly large forum and of those on the ban list they were definitely disproportionate. Now when I see one I think there's some narcissism/entitlement going on.
A lot of them are probably dudes.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:17 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have had posters dismiss my opinions because they wouldn't 'respect or trust the word of a prisoner.'

However, my username is simply a play on the modified nickname for New Mexico, the Land of Entrapment (from Land of Enchantment) and the fact that I sometimes feel like I am in exile here.

But if you want to believe I am posting this from the State penitentiary, sure go ahead :-)
A always thought it meant that you have really strong convictions!

Old 11-23-2014, 04:20 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Oh, the shoes! P!U! Pew! I would throw them on the deck. I could smell them three rooms away. I still have no idea how that happens.

My user name? Tell me. I do like to garden, but that's not the reason.
Gerbil mania??

Old 11-23-2014, 04:26 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have had posters dismiss my opinions because they wouldn't 'respect or trust the word of a prisoner.'
That's funny.

Now if your name was OrangeJumper, then I might suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships