Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2017, 01:17 PM

7,340 posts, read 2,747,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
If it's known that a city data member is no longer around -- passed away, or simply stopped posting..... after X amount of time..... shouldn't the profile be closed down? I mean, what is the point of keeping a dead profile around?

Food for thought
One of my very good friends I met on City Data passed away two years ago the 31st of May. I still go back and read her posts and am very happy that I can.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:18 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,073,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Woman View Post
One of my very good friends I met on City Data passed away two years ago the 31st of May. I still go back and read her posts and am very happy that I can.
Oh, that's sad.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Oh, that's sad.
She was a very special lady. We found through talking on here and on the phone that she used to work about 90 miles from where I live and we had actually spoken to each other on the phone through our jobs. We had the same job, different agencies. She used to come here to shop as well. At the time we met she was living in Virginia though and we never did get the opportunity to meet in person before she became so ill. She is missed by several of us.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:46 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,802,882 times
When I first arrived here not long ago, I met some like minded people on the health groups and don't hear from them very much now. They had good info but could be some got tired of being blasted by other members of not like minds.

We all can disagree but being civil at doing so can be so missing I'm finding.

Just thinking since I've been here I've heard one person got banned, and this person is NOT missed by me, for sure.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:33 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,443,422 times
Quote:
Oh, that's sad.
I got to speak to her as well on the phone while visiting Las Vegas. We used to send daily e-mails to each other for a long time. Lily-Lady was a great woman.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
She was a very special lady. We found through talking on here and on the phone that she used to work about 90 miles from where I live and we had actually spoken to each other on the phone through our jobs. We had the same job, different agencies. She used to come here to shop as well. At the time we met she was living in Virginia though and we never did get the opportunity to meet in person before she became so ill. She is missed by several of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I got to speak to her as well on the phone while visiting Las Vegas. We used to send daily e-mails to each other for a long time. Lily-Lady was a great woman.
She sounds an amazing woman. It's such a shame that she got ill.

What a coincidence, IAW, that you found out you had spoken on the phone, through your jobs! I expect that you had lots of chats about your work, after that.

Do you remember when people used to have pen-pals? Being on here, reminds me of that, a bit. It's like having lots of pen-pals at once!

With regards to after posters pass away... it's almost like they have left something on here, for people to remember them by, after they have gone. When you think about it, you are getting peoples' thoughts and views about things - some insight into their personality.

Also, it's like an online diary too. When I'm gone, people will be able to check what I ate and drank on a certain day, by checking my posts on the Food & Drink Forum! But my ultimate legacy to you all, is the UK Chat Thread on the UK Forum!

Old 05-29-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
She sounds an amazing woman. It's such a shame that she got ill.

What a coincidence, IAW, that you found out you had spoken on the phone, through your jobs! I expect that you had lots of chats about your work, after that.

Do you remember when people used to have pen-pals? Being on here, reminds me of that, a bit. It's like having lots of pen-pals at once!

With regards to after posters pass away... it's almost like they have left something on here, for people to remember them by, after they have gone. When you think about it, you are getting peoples' thoughts and views about things - some insight into their personality.

Also, it's like an online diary too. When I'm gone, people will be able to check what I ate and drank on a certain day, by checking my posts on the Food & Drink Forum! But my ultimate legacy to you all, is the UK Chat Thread on the UK Forum!
It was actually pretty amazing that we "met". It is a small world at times isn't it? Yes, we used to have long phone calls with each other and we would tell "war stories" and laugh. We were both dispatchers for law enforcement, fire and ems so we had plenty of stories. She was at one of the agencies we dealt with a lot in certain circumstances so we talked about those calls a lot. By the end of her life we had become much closer than most sisters. We also emailed on a regular basis and I go back and read her emails on occasion.

You are absolutely correct about the pen pal angle. I never thought of it like that, but it is such an apt description.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I was so glad I talked her into calling you that day. She didn't want to because of the way she sounded but I kept pushing her. After she talked with you, she called me and thanked me for talking her into it.
She enjoyed your talk so much.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
It was actually pretty amazing that we "met". It is a small world at times isn't it? Yes, we used to have long phone calls with each other and we would tell "war stories" and laugh. We were both dispatchers for law enforcement, fire and ems so we had plenty of stories. She was at one of the agencies we dealt with a lot in certain circumstances so we talked about those calls a lot. By the end of her life we had become much closer than most sisters. We also emailed on a regular basis and I go back and read her emails on occasion.

You are absolutely correct about the pen pal angle. I never thought of it like that, but it is such an apt description.
It's good to find people to get on with, but even better when you find someone you have so much in common with (I don't think that comes along so often). Then there's so much to talk about - like you did with your friend.

I haven't got a sister, so I can't compare. But my mother has (my auntie, of course). But even though they live across the road from each other, they don't get on!

So yes, you were maybe closer than a lot of sisters are.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
It's good to find people to get on with, but even better when you find someone you have so much in common with (I don't think that comes along so often). Then there's so much to talk about - like you did with your friend.

I haven't got a sister, so I can't compare. But my mother has (my auntie, of course). But even though they live across the road from each other, they don't get on!

So yes, you were maybe closer than a lot of sisters are.
I don't get along with my sister at all. So, yeah, Kathy was the sister I always wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships