Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 12:06 PM

58 posts, read 131,984 times

Advertisements

I am late to this party but wanted to add my 2 cents.

I used to be one of those folks who would criticize other parents who had out of control kids (not to their face though.) I now have two kids with PANDAS, an auto-immune disorder which effects the brain, causing OCD, Tourettes, emotional instability, behavioral regression (acting like a 2 year old, think tantrums), oppositional defiance and urinary frequency. Typically symptoms exacerbate after an infection and then after a month or two gradually diminish. For our kids that means a lot of fear, anger, potty talk, wild behavior punctuated by trips to the bathroom every 15 minutes...or more. You might think they are just misbehaving and disrespectful but they are anxious and scared at the very same time. This can and does often happen at stores, mainly because they find that stressful, which leads back to behavior. We have to get out sometimes to get groceries, go to the doctors etc; its a stressful, painful and embarassing experience for us too. We have received our fare share of comments both from strangers, friends and family. They are either offended by the kids or disappointed in us as parents. If given time they are able to understand that we are our brains, and it is as silly to get angry at a PANDAS child to behave as it is to get angry with Alzheimer's patient for failure to remember.

There are parents who are not doing well in their role of parent either from lack of discipline, selfishness, anger etc. The results may, from a casual observation, look similar to various psychological disorders children acquire in disease. So if I can, I you suggest remember that when you are out and about.

Last edited by NeedsToGrowUp; 12-08-2014 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 12:12 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsToGrowUp View Post

I used to be one of those folks who would criticize other parents who had out of control kids (not to their face though.) I now have two kids with PANDAS, an auto-immune disorder which effects the brain. Their behavior can range from good to absolutely awful, when they are in a exacerbation (e.g. usually triggered after infections and can last weeks to months) During exacerbations, they have verbal outbursts making odd noises or talking about and pointing at peoples privates, or running wild. You might think they are just misbehaving and disrespectful but they are anxious and scared at the very same time. This can and does often happen at stores, mainly because they find that stressful, which leads back to behavior. We have to get out sometimes to get groceries.

There are parents who are not doing well in their role of parent either from lack of discipline, selfishness, anger etc. The results may, from a casual observation, look similar to various psychological disorders children acquire in disease. So if I can, I you suggest remember that when you are out and about.
Nah, they won't, why would they when they can be up on their high horse being superior, sanctimonious, self righteous, smug, judgmental, intolerant and nosy all at the same time?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsToGrowUp View Post

I used to be one of those folks who would criticize other parents who had out of control kids (not to their face though.) I now have two kids with PANDAS, an auto-immune disorder which effects the brain. Their behavior can range from good to absolutely awful, when they are in a exacerbation (e.g. usually triggered after infections and can last weeks to months) During exacerbations, they have verbal outbursts making odd noises or talking about and pointing at peoples privates, or running wild. You might think they are just misbehaving and disrespectful but they are anxious and scared at the very same time. This can and does often happen at stores, mainly because they find that stressful, which leads back to behavior. We have to get out sometimes to get groceries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Nah, they won't, why would they when they can be up on their high horse being superior, sanctimonious, self righteous, smug, judgmental, intolerant and nosy all at the same time?
Again, this says that I am supposed to put up with you. Shouldn't that go two ways? So when I lose it on you and your kids because you are ruining my peace, you should then assume that I:

1) am suffering a loss
2) am dying of cancer
3) have Tourette's
4) am having a bad day
5) had a bad childhood
6) am out of medication
7) am old and cranky
8) have a migraine

etc., and then should respond to me with kindness.

Sound fair?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:27 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Yes OP. While it doesn't sound as though anything you said was rude, it's the responsibility of the restaurant to see to the comfort of all their patrons. You should have let the manager know, and at the very least, requested to be reseated away from the loud kids.
When I worked as a waitress many years ago I had a manager who would not reseat someone who complained about an unruly child, he would reseat the family with the unruly child, in the same area as others who had unruly children.

After doing that for a while he set aside one side of the restaurant for parents with children and the other side for those who had come in without children.

It was a bit on the ironic side that some of those who had children and were seated with the others with children would ask to be seated on the other side because of the unruly children in that area.
The answer was always "I'm sorry, that section is currently full" or those table have already been reserved and there was a reserved sign on every table that was empty on the child free side.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:31 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
When I worked as a waitress many years ago I had a manager who would not reseat someone who complained about an unruly child, he would reseat the family with the unruly child, in the same area as others who had unruly children.

After doing that for a while he set aside one side of the restaurant for parents with children and the other side for those who had come in without children.

It was a bit on the ironic side that some of those who had children and were seated with the others with children would ask to be seated on the other side because of the unruly children in that area.
The answer was always "I'm sorry, that section is currently full" or those table have already been reserved and there was a reserved sign on every table that was empty on the child free side.
There is a restaurant that we go to that does this. They don't talk about it but it's pretty obvious. I'm a fan. I go there with my kids.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Again, this says that I am supposed to put up with you. Shouldn't that go two ways? So when I lose it on you and your kids because you are ruining my peace, you should then assume that I:

1) am suffering a loss
2) am dying of cancer
3) have Tourette's
4) am having a bad day
5) had a bad childhood
6) am out of medication
7) am old and cranky
8) have a migraine

etc., and then should respond to me with kindness.

Sound fair?
You'd have zero reason to lose it on me or my kid. However, if someone has say, Tourette's, or is dying if cancer, or is suffering a loss, um yeah I would be sympathetic and try not to be some if not all of the list in my above post.

Sometimes being human is more important than a quiet dinner.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:38 PM

There seems to be some misconception that when you go out in public you're entitled to peace. Where's that written? If you want peace, stay at home. I don't know why people go out to eat when they're so bothered by other people.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
There seems to be some misconception that when you go out in public you're entitled to peace. Where's that written?
In pretty much every city/county/state and federal law book.

The following is an example of a state statute dealing with disturbing the peace:

"Elements of Disturbing the Peace: It shall be unlawful for any person to:
  1. Make, continue, maintain or cause to be made or continued any excessive, unnecessary, unreasonable or unusually loud noise or any noise in such manner as to annoy, offend, disturb, injure or endanger the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of any reasonable person of normal auditory sensitivity residing in the area.
  2. Use, operate or permit the use or operation of any electronic device, radio receiving set, television, musical instrument, phonograph or other machine or device for the producing or reproducing of sound in such manner as to disturb the peace, quiet and comfort of any reasonable person of normal auditory sensitivity inhabiting the area.
  3. Congregate because of, participate in or be in any party or gathering of people from which sound emanates of a sufficient volume so as to disturb the peace, quiet or repose of any reasonable person of normal auditory sensitivity residing in any residential area. No person shall visit or remain within any residential dwelling unit wherein such party or gathering is taking place except persons who have gone there for the sole purpose of abating said disturbance. A police officer may order all persons present in any group or gathering from the dwelling unit to immediately disperse in lieu of being charged under this Section."

Old 12-08-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
In pretty much every city/county/state and federal law book.

The following is an example of a state statute dealing with disturbing the peace:

"Elements of Disturbing the Peace: It shall be unlawful for any person to:
  1. Make, continue, maintain or cause to be made or continued any excessive, unnecessary, unreasonable or unusually loud noise or any noise in such manner as to annoy, offend, disturb, injure or endanger the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of any reasonable person of normal auditory sensitivity residing in the area.
  2. Use, operate or permit the use or operation of any electronic device, radio receiving set, television, musical instrument, phonograph or other machine or device for the producing or reproducing of sound in such manner as to disturb the peace, quiet and comfort of any reasonable person of normal auditory sensitivity inhabiting the area.
  3. Congregate because of, participate in or be in any party or gathering of people from which sound emanates of a sufficient volume so as to disturb the peace, quiet or repose of any reasonable person of normal auditory sensitivity residing in any residential area. No person shall visit or remain within any residential dwelling unit wherein such party or gathering is taking place except persons who have gone there for the sole purpose of abating said disturbance. A police officer may order all persons present in any group or gathering from the dwelling unit to immediately disperse in lieu of being charged under this Section."
I bet you're super fun at parties.

Well there's your answer, next time poor you has to "put up with" children with a horrifying brain disease that causes them to be unruly, simply call the cops. After you lose it on the mom of course.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:14 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
I may have missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention that it can be dangerous for kids to run around unattended in restaurants. A waiter carrying a heavy tray or a hot pot of coffee may not see the kid and trip over it, risking pretty serious injury. At the very least, parents should keep the kids in their seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships