Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 10:21 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times

Advertisements

I won't even begin to argue it's just as safe..............but please keep an open mind and consider my point.

If I don't answer business calls when I am driving doing my sales job I will be fired, simple. It's an expectation for outside sales. Even when I worked at F100 it was expected. With today's connected tech world waiting 30 minutes to return a call when it's EOM and I am trying to close deals, not happening. I will miss quota and be fired.

Since that's been the case since I started many years back I am pretty good at doing so.

I error on caution on the road. Let me explain. If a customer or my SM calls me on Bluetooth I focus on road first, conversation second, so that means I have to excuse myself and repeat and or ask them to 1-2 times. After 20 plus years of driving, and 1 back in crazy So Cal driving I will speak up and tell someone I need to call you back traffic is too crazy, multiple ppl cutting lanes, etc.

I get the best tech because I sell and use it. So if I call does it sound land line quality no, but I use the latest device with the best carrier and the best tested speaker so it works pretty well. People tell me 80% same as regular call, not some string and can BS sound. You get what you pay for.

If the US really wants to ban talking and driving they need to deal with the sales industry/corp lobbyists because they all do it to because it's expected. I would prefer it wasn't a requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 10:50 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
You and your friends may be fine with chatting while driving, it's the rest of us, the ones you run into that are uneasy with this practice.

Cell phone usage is involved in a third of the car wrecks these days.

I know. I know. You will never be one of these irresponsible drivers. You can totally focus on both driving and talking at the same time. Not a problem.

Might I suggest you use this laser mind focus techniques to talk on the phone at home without being distracted by your children's behavior.
Again, safety isn't the topic at hand. The OP is insulted that someone would dare call him while driving instead of devoting 100% of their attention to their conversation. I'm not going to debate the safety of it because that isn't the point.

And because people seem concerned about my personal phone habits, I'll say again that the people I call are in different time zones. I can't call at other times of the day. The kids are only one of my reasons, but that seems to be the one people keep criticizing. There's the time difference, my full time job, my friend's full time job, her kids, my dishes, laundry, cooking, etc. I"m busy. Maybe some of you aren't, but I am. I keep in touch the way I can. Give me a freaking break.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:20 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Again, safety isn't the topic at hand. The OP is insulted that someone would dare call him while driving instead of devoting 100% of their attention to their conversation. I'm not going to debate the safety of it because that isn't the point.

And because people seem concerned about my personal phone habits, I'll say again that the people I call are in different time zones. I can't call at other times of the day. The kids are only one of my reasons, but that seems to be the one people keep criticizing. There's the time difference, my full time job, my friend's full time job, her kids, my dishes, laundry, cooking, etc. I"m busy. Maybe some of you aren't, but I am. I keep in touch the way I can. Give me a freaking break.
Can't rep you again Kibbie, but +1.

I wish there was as much outcry about gun control as there is about cell phone usage.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:49 AM

970 posts, read 2,212,825 times
I don't have a "must never call me from the car" requirement for friendship, because I don't consider it a sign of rudeness. People who constantly alternate between talking on the phone and screaming at someone are rude, or constantly hanging up are rude, but those are just symptoms of people who are rude in general.

If you dislike someone's habits so much, why are you friends with them in the first place?

Old 12-28-2014, 12:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I work a lot, am on the road a lot, and if I don't call my family/friends while in traffic on hands free bluetooth then I wouldn't be able to talk with them much.

There is so much traffic in So Cal driving and talking hands free at 5 MPH is not a safety risk for me.
Bingo. When you're sitting in a back-up on the 405 calling a friend is a productive use of time.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:58 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I don't have a "must never call me from the car" requirement for friendship
Yep this. Why am I not surprised that some of these same posters also were the ones complaining about Christmas cards as well? A newsletter? Trash. Printed photo cards? Rude. Man, some of you are sure high maintenance when it comes to friendship.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:30 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I don't have a "must never call me from the car" requirement for friendship, because I don't consider it a sign of rudeness. People who constantly alternate between talking on the phone and screaming at someone are rude, or constantly hanging up are rude, but those are just symptoms of people who are rude in general.

If you dislike someone's habits so much, why are you friends with them in the first place?
I don't think anyone was saying never call from the car, they was saying that all of their calls don;t have to be from the car.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:11 PM

532 posts, read 958,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
Why do you care when they call you? At least they're calling you; most people just text instead of calling since they don't even want to waste the time it takes to call.
Right!

I have a very close friend in another city, between both our schedules, sometimes the only time we can talk is when he has a long drive ahead of him.

Texting is great and we do it a lot, but sometimes it's nice to hear their voice.

I have no problem with it.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:30 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Okay, let's have a truce between those who think phone calls while driving/in the car are okay versus those that don't. Let's agree different strokes for different folks.

But just curious---for those who do talk and drive, do you think the multi-tasking adds stress to your life? Supposedly multi-tasking does. Or does the comfort of speaking with a friend outweigh that?

And again---curious---how did people maintain friendships when there were just landlines and not even answering machines? Do you think friendships were different back then? I don't know this for sure, but I would think people communicate more frequently nowadays---has that resulted in better/more friendships?

Old 12-28-2014, 02:32 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
I always say, "Omigod, are you driving? I don't want to talk to you while you're driving! I'm always afraid I'll be hearing a crash! Not to mention all the noise. Please call me tonight when you're safely home and it's quiet."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships