Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 12:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times

Advertisements

When they call and you're aware that they're driving, say, "I'm happy to know that you're thinking of me, but I can hear that you're in the car. I'm concerned about our conversation being a distraction and endangering you while you're driving. Please call me when you arrive safely at your destination, so we can catch up. Talk to you soon!" Then, hang up. They'll get the message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 12:05 PM

412 posts, read 545,698 times
That's weird. Do these friends also frequently have accidents?

Old 12-26-2014, 12:40 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
People in a hurry.

I particularly hate it when I get these calls during work from customers. Because most of the time I can't hear them clearly AND they usually don't have information in front of them that I need.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:45 PM

606 posts, read 903,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Have you asked him if it's quiet for him?
The radio is off, the windows are up, I don't talk on speaker phone, I don't yell at traffic. Considering he cuts the call short when he calls me and i'm at the house because of the noise, but has never done so in the car, I don't worry about it. If it were an issue, he would definitely say it. We get to talk only once a week.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:55 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Interstate driving can change on a dime.

And never say never.
At this point, I can say never. I consider myself to be an excellent defensive driver, even while on the phone. I never assume those sharing the road with me are. So, as long as it's legal to do so, and the people I call seem happy to hear from me, I'll continue to use that 4 hour drive to catch up.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:07 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Legal cell phone use while driving in my state...

Quote:
The new law in Colorado, effective December 01, 2009, bans the use of cell phones for drivers under the age of 18 at all times. In addition texting, emailing and twittering are banned for all drivers (House Bill 09-1094, 2009).

Cell phone use is permitted in the case of emergencies.

Emergencies are defined as when a person (House Bill 09-1094, 2009):

* Has reason to fear for his or her life
* Believes that a criminal act may occur to oneself or another
* Reports a fire, traffic accident, road hazards, medical or hazardous materials
* Reports a person driving in a reckless, careless or unsafe manner.
I don't talk on the phone in my car, even with a hands-free device. At one time I was more lax, but when I became aware that my children were watching and learning, I started muting my phone and leaving it my bag on the floor behind the passenger seat. It is accessible for the emergencies listed above, but otherwise it's out of sight, out of mind.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:51 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,397,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
At this point, I can say never. I consider myself to be an excellent defensive driver, even while on the phone. I never assume those sharing the road with me are. So, as long as it's legal to do so, and the people I call seem happy to hear from me, I'll continue to use that 4 hour drive to catch up.
NO ONE is an "excellent defensive driver, even while on the phone". Anyone who says this is fooling themselves. Being on the phone automatically decreases both your attention span and your reaction time. Science and research have already proven this beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:32 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
NO ONE is an "excellent defensive driver, even while on the phone". Anyone who says this is fooling themselves. Being on the phone automatically decreases both your attention span and your reaction time. Science and research have already proven this beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Don't care what science and research says. I only need to go by my impeccable driving record. Science and research will also include those easily distracted. I am not. When it becomes illegal to do so, I'll stop. Until then, nobody shall change my mind, because it works for me. I completely zone out while driving long distances, unless I am forced to pay attention. Knowing I'm on the phone, and will be held under extra scrutiny should an accident occur, makes me hyper-aware of the others on the road.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:58 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,397,968 times
Quote:
Don't care what science and research says. I only need to go by my impeccable driving record. Science and research will also include those easily distracted. I am not. When it becomes illegal to do so, I'll stop. Until then, nobody shall change my mind, because it works for me. I completely zone out while driving long distances, unless I am forced to pay attention. Knowing I'm on the phone, and will be held under extra scrutiny should an accident occur, makes me hyper-aware of the others on the road.
Your attitude is exactly why we need MUCH stricter laws against driving while talking on the phone. There are so many people out there who, like you, think that it's only OTHERS that get distracted. "Not me!". Well, sorry to tell you but you are just as distracted while on the phone as everyone else. The facts prove it. And, it appears, only stricter laws will protect the rest of us on the road from those who are too selfish to behave responsibly.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:07 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Well, good luck to you and good luck to the folks whose lives depend on you paying attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships