Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 02:53 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times

Advertisements

Maybe it is because some people might say it is a sign of aging or being older than the person who says maam or sir ..Im just saying I have heard it that way . I don't care one way or the other but I have heard it that way .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 03:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
In the south it is still considered proper to call your elders either Mrs. Smith or Miss Mary, Mr. Jones or Mr. Bill. Especially with the very elder, I would say it is very common. I have not heard anyone object other than women who think they are too young to be called Ma'am. They need to get over themselves.
Actually, it's not elders. It's adults to whom you haven't been introduced properly or with whom you still have a more formal relationship.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:46 PM

50,826 posts, read 36,527,673 times
There was just like a 10 page thread about this a couple weeks ago here...I gave a long answer then but I don't feel like it again, lol.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Probably because it implies that they are your elder, and as such, "old." It doesn't really bother me. It is polite.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:04 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,037,201 times
People get annoyed by everything. It's cute if a kid does it.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:05 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
I'm not used to it because it's not common in most of the places I have lived but when I do hear it, I like it. It's an act of politeness and I think it's kind of endearing.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:08 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
I once had a job where I had to deal w/ the public, and I started calling male customers 'sir,' and females "ma'am." I noticed that the males seemed to react positively, and the females didn't. I decided to start using 'miss' instead of "ma'am" and the difference was night & day. From then on it was "miss" whether she was 8 yrs old, or 80. I think part of it is just the sound--"ma'am" is harsh-sounding, whereas 'miss' is soft and pleasant, IMO.

After I moved on to a new job, one day I want back to visit w/ my old boss. He told me that every female customer and their sister was asking what had happened to me for months after I left. They all "missed" me, lol.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:15 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Probably because it implies that they are your elder, and as such, "old." It doesn't really bother me. It is polite.
LOL I actually smile as return their comment.."Well Thank you YOUNG MAN"
It's a sign of respect..Even my neighbours kids call me "Miss Lynda" which I find endearing really...rather than LADY ( depends on the TONE)..That for me is rather less personal..But it's Okay.. with a nice smile and eye contact

Bottomline really is..People gotta start chilling out..Always seem to look for some excuse to complain...As long as anyone acknowledges you means you're still alive LOL I'd rather have that than be treated like a commodity..or worse

Old 05-17-2015, 04:24 PM

35 posts, read 67,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
As a child, it was pretty much drilled into me that I should respect my elders. It seems as if everytime I try to be polite and formal to strangers by addressing them as Sir, Ma'am, Mister "Jason", or Miss, they prefer not to be addressed that way, but instead their first name. It becomes a habit that's hard to break for me.
If something like this was supposed to sound, polite, formal and professional, why do people prefer not to be addressed that way?

I think we can address the elderly or anyone respectfully with out the labels. Like saying how you today with out the Ma'am at the end or sir or whatever. I remember the first time I was called ma'am at 22 and was a bit insulted. Never cared for it since then.

I always found 'lady' to be a bit derogatory, defining all woman as delicate and weak and submissive, non of which applied to me. But that was my interpretation. We don't always have to pass down what was drilled into us as kids. At some point we are adults ourselves and can do differently than our parents and still be respectful of others with out the labels

I'm 65 now and don't really even hear it any more, if they even notice me. I could go to the supermarket in my nightgown and no one would remember me being there. Some days I find that rather liberating.

But when I was younger I fretted over things like that. My parents also made me address elders in a certain way. When you are young you tend to just do as you are told even if it makes little sense.

Plus times change and things we used to do just don't apply in all situations.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:36 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times
I don't know why I see it this way but to me "Sir" sounds so much more refined and elegant (and please feel free to correct me or provide better terms) than Ma'am. Maybe that's part of the issue as well, but what do I know?

My parents are of the southern persuasion and we were taught early on...sir and ma'am to our elders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships