Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 01:35 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,862,528 times

Advertisements

Okay, Okay!!! I should have not used the term "social status" when I made my comment concerning support personnel. FYI, they would tell you that I treat them better than most other people in the office and I do NOT use it condescendingly! I treat them with the utmost respect and try to help them whenever possible which they would attest. And also, yes, I HAVE cleaned toilets for a living when working my way through college and I still clean toilets in my own house!

I do NOT not make apologies for saying "yes ma'am" and "no sir" . I have yet had someone claim they were offended.

Last edited by Rogarven; 05-19-2015 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 01:42 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I have, but they still did. Clear?
I quit going there.
Your choice. I think that would be a stupid reason to deprive myself of a restaurant whose food I enjoy, especially when chances are I wouldn't keep getting the same server, but that's just me.

What a luxury, to be so offended over someone trying to show you respect. Have you visited Nepal lately?

Old 05-19-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Okay, Okay!!! I should have not used the term "social status" when I made my comment concerning support personnel. FYI, they would tell you that I treat them better than most other people in the office and I do NOT use it condescendingly! I treat them with the utmost respect and try to help them whenever possible which they would attest. And also, yes, I HAVE cleaned toilets for a living when working my way through college and I still clean toilets in my own house!

I do NOT not make apologies for saying "yes , ma'am" and "no sir" . I have yet had someone claim they were offended.
I think people are misconstruing your point. Of course a server is not beneath you in terms of humanity, but he or she is definitely below you in status in the business transaction of bringing you food that you are paying for.

I have no qualms in saying I am below status to my clients in our transactions. If I want their money, I have to give them what they are asking for. They have the money. They have the power to choose to hire someone else. As an independent contractor, I may choose my clients, and no vendor of any kind, including servers, should have to put up with incivility. But once I have them, if I want to keep them, I have to serve them. There is such a thing as unspoken rank in conducting business.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't get annoyed, but it isn't normative in the places that I have lived - the North East, the middle Atlantic, California, New England and the northern mid west.

Ma'am also confers a degree of age over, say "miss". Some women are uncomfortable with that.
Sounds like a personal problem of theirs. I can say I am damn glad when someone acknowledges that I am older than they are by calling me "ma'am." Yes, I am older. Yes, I am wiser. Yes, I do know more about life and the way the world works than you do. Yes, I may just be your boss someday. Glad to see you understand that, see the value in it, and respect it.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:20 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
I think it's a hang-up better off buried away. Leave those polite people alone. Just cuz you think it's funny to say "Don't call me sir! I work for a living!" it makes you sound like a buffoon. Unless you're really old and then you're just precious.

ALTHOUGH I used to tell the younger troops, "every time you call me ma'am, another gray hair pops out on my head"

Old 05-19-2015, 02:25 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Your choice. I think that would be a stupid reason to deprive myself of a restaurant whose food I enjoy, especially when chances are I wouldn't keep getting the same server, but that's just me.

What a luxury, to be so offended over someone trying to show you respect. Have you visited Nepal lately?
I love that last line, " what a luxury" to be offended by a sign of respect. My kids have spent the past 12 years of their lives in the South. They adapted to the social norms, and quickly began using sir and ma'am. I would hate to think that people will scorn them as they move elsewhere after college graduation. They would mean it sincerely when they said it.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:33 PM

12,843 posts, read 869,262 times
"Why do people get annoyed when you call them Sir or Ma'am"

Some people have to always be annoyed by something, no matter how trivial.

Some people didn't learn or weren't taught social skills.

Some people are just idiots and perhaps would rather be called an idiot than sir or ma'am.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:39 PM

15 posts, read 55,511 times
I'm guilty! lol I am offended when referred to as ma'am.

I live in the south, but I take it as someone calling me old. I am 31 and for some odd reason, women usually think I'm a few years older than I am whereas men oftentimes think I am much younger... don't get it.

I began being referred to as ma'am around 26 yrs old. I don't know the people personally to know why they refer to me as such.. do they think I am old or is it just their way of talking?

I can understand a kid (about 15 and younger), but most of these people are in their 20's, 30's and many old enough to be my mother/dad.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:23 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post

Quote of the year.

I have to say that the pettiness and fractious nature of the views expressed on this thread depress me a little. It's almost as if these people lie awake at night seeking out reasons to fault others. Then some of the same people will appear in another thread, wondering why they have so few friends.

A person who says Sir or Ma'am is, 99.9999% of the time, making an attempt to be respectful and polite. That person isn't trying to denigrate you, isn't trying to make you feel old, and isn't trying to put your in your place. The person who is trying to be polite isn't, a very large majority of the time, trying to manipulate you either.

Nope. All that person is trying to do is accord you respect, one human being to another. And if you are suspicious of it, if you scorn it, if you worry that it makes you feel old, then that really speaks to your own character flaws. Either that or you're so consumed by your own agenda in life that you don't recognize politeness when you see it.

If anything, we inhabit a world where basic courtesy is in short supply. One would have to be the village idiot to complain when they are the beneficiary of it.

Last edited by cpg35223; 05-19-2015 at 04:34 PM..

Old 05-19-2015, 04:38 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
So what do they say in Wisconsin to get someone's attention?? "Hey Lady!" ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I'll answer as someone who grew up in Indiana. To get someone's attention, one would simply say, "Excuse me" or "Pardon me" or something to that effect. It would never have occurred to us to tack on a sir or ma'am to it. Just not done there. I know that seems completely weird to people from the south, but it's no more weird than the fact that southerners don't call anyone "mademoiselle" or "Lady so-and-so." It's just a simple matter of geography and dialect.
I agree with kayanne, you say something like "Excuse me" or "Pardon me" or "Can I help you?" or "I need you" or "Please stop" or whatever is appropriate for the situation. Guess what? Those phrases are suitable for anyone,men or women, old or young, boy or girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships