Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:29 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times

Advertisements

You want to move back in with mommy and daddy at 26 years old? And they are yelling at you about it? Don't move back into their home.

Instead, come up with an alternate plan. Figure out a way to live somewhere while you go to school. Live in a dorm or rent a room in someone's home near the college campus. Use your savings to pay for the dorm rent and food while you are going to school for SAP. Get student loans to pay for the courses. Also you might get student loans to pay for living expenses and food, just like any other student that doesn't live with mommy and daddy. Also work a part-time job while attending school to cover living expenses and food, so you don't have to borrow as much.

Do whatever it takes so you DO NOT move back to live with mommy and daddy. That's why they yelled at you. They don't want you living at home as if you are a 16 year old. You must figure out a way to attend school and live somewhere that's not mommy and daddy's place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 09:30 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesFan101 View Post
I have 13 grand in my bank account. And no they don't pay any of my bills. I just want to move back home while I do the SAP training and just move on with my life by finding a job that makes me happy.
Ah, I will amend my post:

You have $13,000 saved up? That should pay your living expenses EASILY in a market like Atlanta while you find something new. Why on earth would you want to move home? Is there something about SAP training in Houston that is measurably better than the SAP training you would receive in Atlanta?

Old 09-13-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Doing the training or finding a job while I already have one is not an option. I absolutely dread programming. The developers in my team are douchebags. Sorry to say.

I guess I will just put in my notice on Monday and move back after two weeks.

I can't quit my job and still stay in Atlanta, it will be too expensive with no income.
How in the world is Atlanta too expensive to stay in for a job search with $13,000 stored away???

I mean, I would definitely understand New York, San Francisco, Boston....but Atlanta? You can do a full-time job search on $13,000 in Atlanta. It just seems like you are not willing to rectify yourself to the fact that you will not have $13,000 saved up still by the time the job search is done. That's trying to eat your cake and have it too.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:43 AM

And my final thought: if you feel as though you have sustained some workplace harassment, seek legal counsel. This would be a good step for after you have a new job and the resources to pay an attorney. The time-frame and logistics on filing a suit will vary from state to state, so be clear on what they are in Georgia.

You may be advised that you have no case, or may find that pursuing a case is prohibitively expensive, even with a new job. But the consultation should be free.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:51 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Sorry but I can't give you any support. I moved from Washington, DC, where I worked after college, to Pittsburgh on my own dime to attend graduate school when I was 25. Never expected my parents (a steelworker and a secretary) to support me and I wouldn't have wasted my breath asking. They had paid the bills left from my bachelor's degree, after my scholarship money was all used up. That was enough.

I worked while taking classes, shared an apartment with two other people, and rode the bus because I couldn't afford a car. It's doable. The degree was something I was very interested in but was hopeless as far as making me money for the rest of my life. But I've never regretted earning that degree. It was an adventure and it improved my intellect. Even if your degree will increase your earning potential, it's a little cheesy to expect your parents to open their house to you just because you're dissatisfied with decisions you made. You're an adult now. Invest that money in your savings account in yourself.

Handle this yourself. Your parents will have more respect for you and they won't be able to criticize your plans if they're not funding them.

Amazing isn't it? I did the same thing you did. Of course that was 20 some years ago, different world.

Now it's "I want it and I want it now". I don't like my job so I will just quit.

I have a friend whose 27 year old daughter is getting married, the girl is put out that the father won't pay for a big wedding, she has been living with the guy for 5 years, between the two of them they make in the six figures, but daddy should pay for a fancy wedding.....LOL.

The entitlement today is mind boggling.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:05 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
I am 26 years old and I am a Java programmer in Atlanta. My hometown is Dallas TX. I do not have a family that depends on me.

So the first reason:

I moved to Atlanta on May 6th and since then it has been a series of bad events. First my roommate was such an ass*ole to a point where I had to move out and pay 2 rents at once for one month. My knee got hyperextended and I was on crutches for 2 months straight. Then I have some crappy coworkers at work which brings me to my 2nd reason.

Second reason:
I hate programming. I gave it a shot for 3 years and found out it's not for me. I hate logic puzzles and sitting behind a computer and researching code all day. I hate my job and I hate my coworkers. I had a phone interview where they asked me basic java questions and I answered all of them flawlessly. There were no "share your screen and code" questions at all. So my intermediate developer (he is not my boss) emailed me programming interview questions 4 months after the interview and 3 1/2 months after I got the job to "prove myself." and he also said in front of the director and a couple other managers that "I do not know ****." I have never worked with him before and he is in no position to say that and that was very unprofessional. So I told my boss about those two instances and she said she will deal with it accordingly.

The next morning I need help on some code so I asked some people and they said they will not help and that I have to figure it out on my own. It is like a frat-boy atmosphere here. When you tell your boss about someone's un-professionalism, his friends will also not like you.

Did I also say that I absolutely dread programming? I hate java, I hate Apache Camel, I hate spring. I hate everything about it. I am more of a social guy so therefore I like to be talking to people rather than sitting behind a computer and research/type code.

I want to learn SAP because it is a functional role rather than a technical role. I feel like I can thrive in that technology. I have found some training places where they will train you in SAP and look for a job for you.

I called my parents today and they just shouted at me today. I so want to just put in my two weeks notice in on Monday. How can I tell them that I am sick and tired of programming and want to do something different?

Thanks
Just be and adult and look for a damn job. Just don't quit the current one until you have something lined out.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:08 PM

595 posts, read 1,256,186 times
Default You've got skills, options and probably a bright future

You're a smart guy and it sounds like you trained for the wrong job.

Go for the new, but don't quit and burn more bridges.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
I have 13 grand in my bank account. And no they don't pay any of my bills. I just want to move back home while I do the SAP training and just move on with my life by finding a job that makes me happy.
OP, count your blessings instead of complaining about every little thing.

I'm a parent of a 20 something, and many of my friends also have kids just a few years out of college. Many of us would be ecstatic to have our adult child living on their own, with a good job and $13,000 in the black instead of scrapping by working one or two jobs at minimum wage or $10 an hour, while paying off $40,000 or more in student loans.

Sheesh! Stick it out until you find a replacement job, or take night classes/training in a new field but don't go running home to Mom and Dad. Now, if they suggest that you move home, and pay rent & expenses while you get additional training that is one thing but don't just expect it to happen or demand it.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:40 PM

231 posts, read 201,917 times
Don't quit on a whim. Have a plan, a back up plan, and a back up back up.

Stay with your current role and study for whatever new role/position you're trying to move into.

Not only will you be more financially stable if you do this but if you stick with your current role, you may realize that it's not all that bad as you say.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:57 PM

659 posts, read 940,564 times
If I have to make a suggestion. I think you need a break. Badly.
It seems that you don't know what you want. You can go for SAP but what if you end up hating it?

So here it is. Spend about $2000 of that $13,000 on TEFL courses (hopefully you have a college degree) and teach English abroad. Do it for a year or two, in some countries you can save 50% of your paycheck on whatever you want. Maybe you'd want to learn SAP through online schooling? Who knows. Any way, just take that break doing something else. When you saved MORE money, then move back to TX and learn SAP if you haven't yet and get your career going again.

If you're teaching abroad though, I guess you can keep your skills up to date by doing some programming freelance work from your new home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships