Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 12:08 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,107,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Actually, as the millennials are at the "I should to work" age multigenerational households are becoming common as the parenting for that generation is showing that these now adult aged people are completely unable to preform in a work environment unless it is able to cater to their lifestyle of playing on phones, internet, etc. with no responsibility for preforming a work related task.

It has never been easy for an 18 year old to make a living wage and live on their own. In the past 18 year olds were willing to work towards improving their lifestyle and started out with room mates, working 2 jobs, putting in overtime, living with minimal household furniture, walking and taking the bus, and eating in and that on cheap food. The current 18-30 year olds want a nice house in a nice neighborhood, with all the furnishings as well as a nice car and good budget for eating out and recreational / entertainment activities. THAT is what the older folks worked most of their lives to achieve.....

...and the millennials can only get all that by living with their parents who worked years to earn it. That way 'their money' goes to the 'fun' part of life and mommie and daddy pay for the basic expenses.
Ahhh....good old fashioned "Millennial-bashing," the only acceptable form of age discrimination.

Point out the Baby Boomers' deficiencies? (ie. ruining the country's economy, inflating its housing market to unsustainable levels, straining its resources, causing most of its homelessness and violent crime, and holding back progressive policy for 30+ years?) Well, then it's WAH WAH WAH! AGE DISCRIMINATION!

But those Millennials? Well, they're just a bunch of no-good whippersnappers! Tweetering and Twatting on their I-Books and whatnot!

Let's look at the FACTS relating to the Millennial's high rate of unemployment/underemployment, instead of relying on the tired old mantra of "They're too busy with their dang-nabbity phones to go out and work!":

There are fewer Baby-Boomers in the workforce with college degrees than there are of any other generational group, because most entry-level jobs now require college degrees, but did not thirty+ years ago.

The cost of college in the 1970's was very low as compared with the cost of college today. You could attend a state university then for a few hundred dollars a year. That same education today can cost up to $10,000 a year.

The cost of homes was dramatically lower then, and lending practices were less predatory.

There was no "%1" then; wealth was much, much more evenly distributed between management and labor, and upper management and lower management.

The manufacturing sector that existed then has all but been eroded. The few manufacturing jobs that still exist today often require technical degrees or expensive certifications.

Labor Unions were much stronger then, because the Republican Party had not waged war on them yet.

So yes, it was easier (at least from a strictly economic standpoint) to be 18 years old then, than it is now.

Of all of the people that I keep in contact with from college (I am 27), every one had job experience before entering college. Every one held a job during college. Every one lived with a roommate. Many worked multiple jobs.

And now? Every one of my friends is in a professional track career. Most have bought homes or will soon. A few have gotten married (on their own dime). A few have been promoted, or been able to switch jobs into something higher paying or more advantageous to their long-term career goals. Most have gotten a graduate degree or are pursuing one currently.

The reason that we are buying the homes later and getting professional track jobs later is because of conditions that our parents created or allowed to exist. It has nothing to do with this allegorical "Generational Sloth" straw-man argument.

The reason most of us are getting Masters degrees when members of the generations before us never bothered to is because a.) We need those degrees to access better jobs, and b.) We are more ambitious than you.

We are more adaptable, more resilient, and more in-tune with and accepting of technology and innovation.

Sorry, but the America you designed is quickly changing. Embrace it if you can, but don't knock the generation that is trying to save it and clean up the mess you made, simply because you don't understand that generation, its challenges, its achievements, and its values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 12:38 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,540,021 times
You know, I was watching a rerun from the late 1990s. In this episode, these kids were about to graduate college and said basically EVERY SINGLE THING you just did, srsmn. They even threw in globalization and automation.

I think it's hilarious that everyone else had it so much easier. Truth despite evidence to the contrary? Or perhaps a much more logical explanation is that it fits better with the same attitude and narrative millennials are known for.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:57 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,624,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesFan101 View Post
I am 26 years old and I am a Java programmer in Atlanta. My hometown is Dallas TX. I do not have a family that depends on me.

So the first reason:

I moved to Atlanta on May 6th and since then it has been a series of bad events. First my roommate was such an ass*ole to a point where I had to move out and pay 2 rents at once for one month. My knee got hyperextended and I was on crutches for 2 months straight. Then I have some crappy coworkers at work which brings me to my 2nd reason.

Second reason:
I hate programming. I gave it a shot for 3 years and found out it's not for me. I hate logic puzzles and sitting behind a computer and researching code all day. I hate my job and I hate my coworkers. I had a phone interview where they asked me basic java questions and I answered all of them flawlessly. There were no "share your screen and code" questions at all. So my intermediate developer (he is not my boss) emailed me programming interview questions 4 months after the interview and 3 1/2 months after I got the job to "prove myself." and he also said in front of the director and a couple other managers that "I do not know ****." I have never worked with him before and he is in no position to say that and that was very unprofessional. So I told my boss about those two instances and she said she will deal with it accordingly.

The next morning I need help on some code so I asked some people and they said they will not help and that I have to figure it out on my own. It is like a frat-boy atmosphere here. When you tell your boss about someone's un-professionalism, his friends will also not like you.

Did I also say that I absolutely dread programming? I hate java, I hate Apache Camel, I hate spring. I hate everything about it. I am more of a social guy so therefore I like to be talking to people rather than sitting behind a computer and research/type code.

I want to learn SAP because it is a functional role rather than a technical role. I feel like I can thrive in that technology. I have found some training places where they will train you in SAP and look for a job for you.

I called my parents today and they just shouted at me today. I so want to just put in my two weeks notice in on Monday. How can I tell them that I am sick and tired of programming and want to do something different?

Thanks
Put on your big boy pants and do what will make you happy.
It's better to find a job while you HAVE one than it is to look for one when you don't.
Reach out to any prospects you may have acquired and see what they have available in a field that you would like to pursue.

Good luck

Old 09-14-2015, 01:49 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,828,733 times
I "did" SAP for awhile. There are many aspects of "doing SAP". Can you help narrow down what you mean by "doing" it?

Frankly, ALL of it involves sitting in front of a computer screen all day--it's just doing different things.

One aspect of SAP is "using it to perform business functions". Accounts payable, accounts receivable, materials-to-inventory, etc. Problem with that, is that it's more important that you know what the "business functions" are, and THEN know what the SAP transactions are--and the order in which to perform them to accomplish the business functions.

Another aspect of it is more IT related: SAP security, and ABAP programming. Most companies wouldn't THINK of hiring an inexperienced, short-timer person for security.

Which leaves you with ABAP programming: it's the same as what you're doing now--only different.

So. . . I'm not sure what you mean by "doing SAP". You need to narrow your focus and decide what you want to do when you're "doing SAP".

Basically, you need a plan. Would recommend (as much as you'll hate hearing it) you stick with your current job while you figure out what--exactly--you want to do, research it, pay for your own training, go at night, THEN look for a position.

As long as you won't have to throw in the towel, pack up in the dark of night, and move in with the 'rents (parents), and have them support you, then they don't need to know a thing.

I've been where you are now. I'm an "old geezer" but managed to find a web engineering job at a big bank at 55 years old. No one would talk to me, they all just said "figure it out". Now, two years later I'M THE ONE people come to, because now, not only have I "figured it out", I'm friendly, and helpful and I've created a treasure-trove of "how to" documents.

If I were you, I'd really try to learn SharePoint. There is a huge demand for people who can install, configure, administer, and deploy knowledge-management systems.

Or--now hear me out--go into HVAC, plumbing, or electrical. Rich people ALWAYS need their A/C or heating fixed.

Best of luck, but stick to it. We've almost all of us been where you are now. . .

Old 09-14-2015, 02:35 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,892,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesFan101 View Post

I called my parents today and they just shouted at me today. I so want to just put in my two weeks notice in on Monday. How can I tell them that I am sick and tired of programming and want to do something different?

Thanks
Sounds to me like you might be having more challenges navigating the social aspects of your job than the code.

You are an adult and free to do as you please. That includes not mooching off your parents while you go for plan B.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:44 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,107,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know, I was watching a rerun from the late 1990s. In this episode, these kids were about to graduate college and said basically EVERY SINGLE THING you just did, srsmn. They even threw in globalization and automation.

I think it's hilarious that everyone else had it so much easier. Truth despite evidence to the contrary? Or perhaps a much more logical explanation is that it fits better with the same attitude and narrative millennials are known for.
Right, because they were Gen-Xers, and Baby-Boomers screwed them over, too (maybe worse than they did Millennials, quite honestly). The problem has been going on for quite a while.

I turned 13 in the year 2000. Those characters in that rerun were maybe ten years older than me. Much closer than Baby-Boomers are, and much more in touch with the real world that we all live in?

Gen-Xers, in my experience, have been quite supportive, engaged, and helpful to the Millennials that they encounter, especially in the workforce. It is because they understand the dynamics that currently exist. I only ever hear this push-back and generalizations from Baby-Boomers.

So I will reiterate: economically, Baby-Boomers had an easier time than Millennials or Gen-Xers, graduating from college. They lived in the most resourced country in the world at a time when there were few if any of the economic pressures and constraints that exist in that same country now. They have NOTHING to complain about.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:09 PM

14 posts, read 18,313 times
Quote:
Um.

I am Indian.

When my dad was your age, he was sending money BACK to India to his parents. He had a studio apartment and one set of eating utensils and a mattress. And still sent money back while pursuing his 2 masters degrees. Also working.

EXCUSE FAIL!!!

ROFLMAO!!!!

Mod cut.
LOL here comes the "When my dad was your age"
Stop speaking about your dad. Tell me what you have done. Show me that you practice what you preach.

and your dad lived in a different era. I wish I lived in the 70's or 80's when it was even possible to lease a studio apartment, send money back to india, pursue two masters degrees and also work.

Thank you come again.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
What do your parents have to do with anything?
If they don't have to do with anything, then why is it a problem to move back in?

It's like having a roommate. They don't have anything to do with you except split rent which I clearly stated that I will pay my share.

I don't think you thought yourself through dude.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:24 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,768,984 times
OP, you're 26 years old--ostensibly an adult. Adults plan for things they want to do, including switching jobs. They figure out what they'll need to make the change, whether it's time, money, or acquiring new skills. They explore options, reject the ones that don't work and move on to the ones that will.

Moving in with your parents is an option, but if your parents don't want you to move in while you acquire more training, it's not a viable option. You need to figure out how to change jobs while still supporting yourself.

Don't worry about convincing your parents. Just be an adult, figure it out and make it happen.

Also, you're coming across as very abrasive on here. If you want to make it in the professional world, you'll need to dial that back quite a bit.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
OP, you're 26 years old--ostensibly an adult. Adults plan for things they want to do, including switching jobs. They figure out what they'll need to make the change, whether it's time, money, or acquiring new skills. They explore options, reject the ones that don't work and move on to the ones that will.

Moving in with your parents is an option, but if your parents don't want you to move in while you acquire more training, it's not a viable option. You need to figure out how to change jobs while still supporting yourself.

Don't worry about convincing your parents. Just be an adult, figure it out and make it happen.

Also, you're coming across as very abrasive on here. If you want to make it in the professional world, you'll need to dial that back quite a bit.
Agreed that I am being abrasive. But there is a reason for it:

People are saying that my "parents are going to sacrifice...again."

I am challenging them on how they are going to sacrifice when I will be paying for my own bills. So where exactly is the sacrifice. Really do not understand and all they can bring up is how they went about in their day and age. Well, this is a different day and age.

Like I said, it's going to be like a roommate situation. I have lots of friends leasing an apartment with their dad and they split 50/50 on everything as if two random roommates talked about it before they signed the lease.

I seriously do not understand. These people are assuming that I will "mooch" off of them.

Go Eagles!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships