Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 09:49 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,963,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesFan101 View Post
I don't want to live at home to simply live off of my parents. I want to do it to sacrifice for a greater cause.
Ahahahahaha. Wow, what a rationalization. Quitting a job he doesn't like and moving in with mommy and daddy is akin to traveling to Africa to feed the starving.

This is the thread that keeps on giving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 09:51 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,932,197 times
Wait! You hate the work you do and you have to work with jerks? You must be the only person who ever said this!

It's called adulthood. We often have to do stuff we don't like and work with people we don't like. I like my line of work in general, but every day I have to do stuff I "hate," with people who are jerks, but it's a living. We've all worked jobs we "hated" in our 20s. That's what your 20s are for; getting experience. Eventually you'll find work doing something you like better. Being an adult means figuring out how to transition to work that you may like better, while still working and having income from the current job.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:02 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,963,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I gave birth to an overachiever. I always planned for my kids to pay their own way - through college and life. School of hard knocks, so to speak. Then I came across an article that changed my thinking. It was written by a parent who explained why they were paying their kid's way - and didn't encourage them to get minimum wage jobs at the age of 16 like everyone I grew up with. It explained concepts I didn't fully understand, like the value of unpaid or low pay internships.

So, I have a new deal with my kids - I'll pay their way until they are done with their Masters, including living expenses and student loans, as long as they have a 3.5 GPA or higher and are working toward their goals. Or, they can choose to pay their own way. But what I learned is that to give my son a leg up on the executive track, especially as we do not come from that social class, is going to be expensive and time consuming. BUT if I really want my kids to have better, I will do better, and not just raise them in the lower middle class mindset I was raised in - not that there is anything wrong with my life. But my son wants better, and I want to help him achieve it.
I grew up in the upper middle class strata and now work as an executive. In my humble opinion, a teenage minimum wage job is one of the most valuable experiences anyone can have. It's a no-risk opportunity to learn about the working world. Its an excellent way to see why education or technical training is so important. And it is the first step in learning how to manage one's finances.

In my experience, some of the worst employees I have encountered are the ones who never had a job in high school or college. They don't "get" the working environment. They tend to have poor interpersonal skills. They tend to be entitled or snobbish of the people in the organization that do the lower level grunt work that keeps everything running smoothly. I have seen it time and time again.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:07 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,892,632 times
Quote:
Thanks for the support. Some people just don't seem to get what a family is actually for.
Your family has made it clear that your plan isn't going to work for the unit. Clearly you do not know or maybe just don't appreciate what family is for, according to the values you grew up with. So spare us this whine about family when it's clear you've been told not to have your cake and eat it too by your own family.

So forget about the current plan you have which is an imposition on everyone else (family) and find another way to work what works for you.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:39 AM

16,579 posts, read 10,689,515 times
Quote:
I don't think you understand dude. First off, I am not white. So yeah we come from different cultures. I am Indian. And let me school you real quick. Indian families stick together. They didn't yell at me because I have to "be a man" because this is not about being a man. This is about making a career change and saving as much money as possible while doing it. Because you know why? When they fall sick, I have no problem paying for their medical bills (with the money I save) as is the other way around. If I fall sick, I know for a fact that they have no problem paying my medical bills. We are a family and we stick together. I do not know how it is like in your culture but that's how it is in mine.

So yeah spare me with that big American ego [bleep].

He yelled at me for because I would be losing 3 months of paychecks....for which I am not paying him for anything right now. I am paying everything which relates to me (like med insurance, car insurance) myself.
Let me see if I understand this. In your wonderfully cohesive Indian family, your parents yell at you when you express your dissatisfaction with your work, and get angry at you because you would be losing some income, even though they themselves would not be asked to pay for any aspect of your upkeep during that time. If that's what you call "sticking together," I'd hate to see how things went if times really got tough.

Nevertheless, that's not what you started out with. Here was your original question:

Quote:
How can I tell them that I am sick and tired of programming and want to do something different?
So here's what you can do: "Mom and Dad, I don't think I've been able to adequately express just how incredibly sick and tired of programming I am. But at the same time, I fully understand your concern about my losing three months of income if I quit now. So what I'm going to do is take some night classes and online courses and look for a job in my preferred field. But don't worry, I'll suck it up and deal with the lousy job and horrible coworkers until I can get something better.

I hope you won't mind if I use a bit of my savings to fly home for the weekend, maybe once a month or so. You know how I love your cooking, Mom, and just being with you two helps keep me calm and would be a great way for me to clear my head every now and then. It'll help me keep my sanity until I can get my new job and give my current place their two weeks' notice. Thanks, I knew you would understand."

Old 09-14-2015, 10:53 AM

7,684 posts, read 5,549,324 times
Quote:
I had a phone interview where they asked me basic java questions and I answered all of them flawlessly. There were no "share your screen and code" questions at all. So my intermediate developer (he is not my boss) emailed me programming interview questions 4 months after the interview and 3 1/2 months after I got the job to "prove myself." and he also said in front of the director and a couple other managers that "I do not know ****." I have never worked with him before and he is in no position to say that
The developer may not have worked with you but your co-workers have, particularly if you require help with coding. They would see your capabilities or rather your lack thereof. Word gets around in an office. My guess that's why the developer said you don't know ****. Yes, he was wrong to call you out the way he did but I notice you aren't disputing his claim. You just say that he isn't in a position to know (and you are wrong about that).

Perhaps you aren't being honest with yourself about the reason for the urgent need to leave and the real reason you want to change careers.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:03 AM

772 posts, read 915,900 times
Stopped reading when you said you are 26. Just live your life the way you want, is my advise .

Old 09-14-2015, 11:11 AM

772 posts, read 915,900 times
Alright I read your whole post.

DO NOT GO FOR SAP

I use SAP for work, for me it's about 5% of my work is SAP. DO NOT GO INTO THAT! RUN !

You said you don't like sitting in front of a computer all day, then do not go for SAP, not sure how you think that's different ? all it is, is entering or looking up information, or organizing or reading information, basically, sitting infront of a computer all day

find a job where you can work by yourself ? you like working with your hands or no ? Welding ? Garbage man ?

I say garbage man, because I have a close freind that does garbage, what he loves about it, is he works alone 100% of the time, except when he talks to dispatch, 5 minutes a day .

Started at $18 an hour, after a few years of experience, he's making $24.50 an hour, not sure where that lines up with your salary ?

he also gets up to 60 hrs per week, so you can make some good money if you work overtime. hope this helps

Old 09-14-2015, 11:36 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,101,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
If I have to make a suggestion. I think you need a break. Badly.
It seems that you don't know what you want. You can go for SAP but what if you end up hating it?

So here it is. Spend about $2000 of that $13,000 on TEFL courses (hopefully you have a college degree) and teach English abroad. Do it for a year or two, in some countries you can save 50% of your paycheck on whatever you want. Maybe you'd want to learn SAP through online schooling? Who knows. Any way, just take that break doing something else. When you saved MORE money, then move back to TX and learn SAP if you haven't yet and get your career going again.

If you're teaching abroad though, I guess you can keep your skills up to date by doing some programming freelance work from your new home?
Teaching is NOT a vacation. One should seriously consider a move into teaching, even a temporary move, and especially a move that takes them to a foreign country where they may not know the language, customs, and norms.

This is the same problem that we have emerging in Teach for America: young people doing it because they do not know what else to do. However, our most vulnerable students need the best, most experienced, highest trained teachers.....NOT the least.

OP, teach English abroad if you believe that it is a passion of yours, have had some prior experience working with students or young people, and believe that it could be a long-term, sustainable alternative career to what you do now. Don't do it to "take a break."

Old 09-14-2015, 11:39 AM

16,579 posts, read 10,689,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
I say garbage man, because I have a close freind that does garbage, what he loves about it, is he works alone 100% of the time, except when he talks to dispatch, 5 minutes a day .

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships