Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 04:36 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,039,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
In the past it was possible for someone to get a living wage job and move out at 18 years of age. Today, hardly as much. As the living standard of the USA continues to equalize with the rest of the world generational households are making a come back.
Actually, as the millennials are at the "I should to work" age multigenerational households are becoming common as the parenting for that generation is showing that these now adult aged people are completely unable to preform in a work environment unless it is able to cater to their lifestyle of playing on phones, internet, etc. with no responsibility for preforming a work related task.

It has never been easy for an 18 year old to make a living wage and live on their own. In the past 18 year olds were willing to work towards improving their lifestyle and started out with room mates, working 2 jobs, putting in overtime, living with minimal household furniture, walking and taking the bus, and eating in and that on cheap food. The current 18-30 year olds want a nice house in a nice neighborhood, with all the furnishings as well as a nice car and good budget for eating out and recreational / entertainment activities. THAT is what the older folks worked most of their lives to achieve.....

...and the millennials can only get all that by living with their parents who worked years to earn it. That way 'their money' goes to the 'fun' part of life and mommie and daddy pay for the basic expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 04:41 PM

14 posts, read 18,290 times
Man all of you **** me off and think I will just live over there with my parents and mooch off of them for the rest of my life. Dang some of you older people here just LOVE to assume so many things. Jesus...

I simply said I want to move back home so I have a place to stay so I can train myself in SAP for a couple of months and be out of there when I get a job.

HEAR ME LOUD AND CLEAR YOU OLD PEOPLE...
I will pay my own rent.
I will pay my own car payment.
I will pay for my own SAP training.
If I go out with friends, I will pay for my own leisure activities.

So yeah...you old farts said enough.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:53 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,562,454 times
Then why move back home? If you can pay rent, do that in your place

Old 09-13-2015, 04:56 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,453,241 times
What do your parents have to do with anything?

Old 09-13-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesFan101 View Post
Man all of you **** me off and think I will just live over there with my parents and mooch off of them for the rest of my life. Dang some of you older people here just LOVE to assume so many things. Jesus...

I simply said I want to move back home so I have a place to stay so I can train myself in SAP for a couple of months and be out of there when I get a job.

HEAR ME LOUD AND CLEAR YOU OLD PEOPLE...
I will pay my own rent.
I will pay my own car payment.
I will pay for my own SAP training.
If I go out with friends, I will pay for my own leisure activities.

So yeah...you old farts said enough.
Why the heck would any able-bodied grown ass man move back in with his parents?

You can do your SAP training where you are now. In your own apartment. While still working.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:08 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,165,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
Americans and their weird insistence that once you're 18, you're out of the house because as an adult a parent's job is done. Sorry, but it's NEVER done unless you're 6 feet under.

Your parents are miffed because they think you moving back will be permanent. If you explain it's going to be temporary, they might be more open. I honestly don't see the big issue. I've been raised in multi-generational homes and I didn't move out until I was 24. My husband moved out at 17, and frankly he was under so much stressed when he moved out that early.

I can't tell which is better, to live with your parents even in the later years or to ditch them at 18, but I can tell you this: I would never make fun of someone if they needed to move back in with their parents temporarily while they get their careers in order.

It's not as if OP has fallen on hard times. A mature 26-yo employed adult should be able make career changes and plans without burdening his parents.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:17 PM

Because I am sick and tired of going back to that crappy programming job. Everybody says they hate their jobs but I fault them since they are not doing anything about it.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,626 times
If you hate your job find something else. Why be miserable doing something you hate until you die. Live your life now man.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesFan101 View Post
Because I am sick and tired of going back to that crappy programming job. Everybody says they hate their jobs but I fault them since they are not doing anything about it.
Neither are you. Moving in with mommy/daddy is not doing something about it. It's running away.

Dude, suck it up.

Man, if this was my kid, I'd kick him in the nuts for even suggesting it. Then I'd kick myself in the lady nuts for failing as a parent.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Neither are you. Moving in with mommy/daddy is not doing something about it. It's running away.

Dude, suck it up.

Man, if this was my kid, I'd kick him in the nuts for even suggesting it. Then I'd kick myself in the lady nuts for failing as a parent.
I don't think you understand dude. First off, I am not white. So yeah we come from different cultures. I am Indian. And let me school you real quick. Indian families stick together. They didn't yell at me because I have to "be a man" because this is not about being a man. This is about making a career change and saving as much money as possible while doing it. Because you know why? When they fall sick, I have no problem paying for their medical bills (with the money I save) as is the other way around. If I fall sick, I know for a fact that they have no problem paying my medical bills. We are a family and we stick together. I do not know how it is like in your culture but that's how it is in mine.

So yeah spare me with that big American ego [bleep].

He yelled at me for because I would be losing 3 months of paychecks....for which I am not paying him for anything right now. I am paying everything which relates to me (like med insurance, car insurance) myself.

and you are saying this is "not doing something about it"....you know what's "not doing something about it"?
If I were to move back home and sit there and not pursue a career change.

doing something about it is paying money off of my own darn pocket for my own training.

like I said, you old farts assume a lot of things when you don't have enough evidence. I laugh at you. Please kick yourself in the lady nuts.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-14-2015 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships