Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 01:28 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,948,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Anytime I enter an awkward social situation, I am guilty of busting out the smart phone and checking city data. I don't even know why, sort of like an engrained habit. Now only if I could learn some self control...
I agree about seeing video of repairs being done. In social situations, the smartphone is sorta like a crutch. Any time one feels the least bit uncomfortable they can just get buried in a smartphone. It's like a child carrying their security blanket everywhere - as long as the phone is handy they wont get too raddled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 05:52 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,924,091 times
It just makes it that much funnier to see videos of these deeply-absorbed jack@sses walking into poles, fountains, etc. because they're too busy on their phones!

Old 09-17-2015, 07:17 AM

6,798 posts, read 2,918,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple
...put the damn phone down and hang out with your family
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
AMEN, from the choir.
A "Double Amen" from me. I don't have any form of a mobile communication device. Don't need one. Refuse to have one. They were designed primarily for ignorant people whose lives are as mundane as those they communicate with.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:25 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,730,041 times
Welcome to the new generation of connected folks. Everybody is officially a drone!

Old 09-17-2015, 08:40 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,179,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
A "Double Amen" from me. I don't have any form of a mobile communication device. Don't need one. Refuse to have one. They were designed primarily for ignorant people whose lives are as mundane as those they communicate with.
This had to be one of the more ridiculous statements I've heard in a long time.

Lol, gotta love the, "I don't own a smartphone, so I'm better than you" delusional crowd.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:58 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,573,921 times
All these posters who are getting pissy about critical comments regarding cell phones just exemplify what a lot of us are talking about. Some people are truly addicted, out of control, socially inept/inappropriate cell phone addicts.
Yes, I said ''addicts''.
In recovery programs for addiction some of the hallmark signs that a person is addicted are: does it impact negatively on your relationships, social life, work role, health? Do you become defensive when others remark that your usage is excessive or that you should cut back or give up this behavior? Are you neglecting family members because you are so focused on this activity that you ignore their presence in your life? Are you neglecting your health to the point that you do not exercise, eat right, otherwise attend to your health because this activity takes precedence over any of that? Have you become withdrawn, socialy isolated? Could you totally stop doing this behavior for an hour? A day? A week? A month? Forever? And not become anxious, angry, depressed, feel empty inside?
If these are part of your cell phone/device lifestyle then you are addicted and you might want to re-examine how your cell phone usage affects the quality of your life and relationships.
Not everyone is addicted and cell phones have enhanced our lives in many ways. I love mine and carry it everywhere. But there is a time and a place and those of us who remember life before they came along can see the negative impacts more easily than those who have no clue. Moderation is the key. Talk face to face, spend time with people, put down that device!

Old 09-17-2015, 11:07 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,481,303 times
If I'd had to take a stab at it, I'd say we'd been doing this long even before phones were invented. We just made other excuses like having to leave, or just sitting there awkwardly anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I honestly don't see why this bothers people so much, and to be blunt, I don't see where it's anybody's business.

Understand--at social occasions, I'm very engaging. Heck, most times, at such things, I look at my phone quite rarely. However, there are occasions where I do some glancing, and the others around me, but the thing is, we find plenty of time to actually interact with each other, and none of us are giving anyone else any totally unnecessary static and judgment. In fact, unless you're trying to have a serious talk with someone about something very serious (like you're on the verge of tears as you prepare to tell them that your husband has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and has 3 months to live), I don't think anyone has any right to pester someone about them having their phone on them and doing a little glancing at it.

Really, this judgmental attitude is out of line and, frankly, bordering on being a form of discrimination analogous to racism. What's the difference between people doing this phone thing and, say, ignoring company in the room while they watch what's on television? In other venues, what's the difference in an employee glancing at their phone when they're supposed to be working vs employees huddling around the water cooler or break room chit-chatting? What's the difference between almost crashing your car due to using your phone vs almost crashing due to fumbling through your glovebox or staring at an attractive woman jogging?

There is no difference. Yet, for some reason, the non-phone scenarios are met with a shrug, while the phone-based ones are met with a scourge usually reserved for people who break wind in Buckingham Palace or something.

Please.
FWIW, the cooler and TV can be constituted as being more social, although it's hardly that black and white.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:08 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
Get a smart watch it's a step away from the habit

Old 09-17-2015, 11:16 AM

29,752 posts, read 34,428,618 times
There are certain situations where pulling out the phone in company is okay: showing someone a picture, bringing up the Groupon you're going to use, double-checking movie times, texting your friend to see if she's on her way, etc. It's when, like in the pictures posted upthread, people can't put the phone down or away, and are interacting more with it than with the people actually physically in their presence that's getting out of hand.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:41 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,956,829 times
I very much agree that technology (phones, ipads, etc) have gotten way out of hand. I hate when my kids have friends over and all they do is sit around on their phones. No one talks to each other any more. It drives me crazy how kids are more interested in the latest facebook or twitter update than actually playing a board game or watching a movie with their friends. It's definitely a problem.

I hate walking into the breakroom at work and seeing every person on their phone. It's ridiculous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships