Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 01:39 PM

22,831 posts, read 19,433,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
You should have had seats to accommodate everyone. Even if she was arriving a bit later, you should have had enough seating for them to join the group when they arrived. Where was she and her fiancé supposed to sit? Did you expect them to stand while you sat and continued eating with the rest of the family?
how about this...
when Taco Belle took mom's chair, then mom could simply go sit on dad's lap!
great idea! this would also give us a chance to observe and subsequently discuss Taco Belle's reaction and further explore the family dynamics, which we as a collective CD fount of wisdom do excel at

Old 12-28-2015, 01:41 PM

920 posts, read 937,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No visuals, no exaggeration. It's a common expression with which I thought everyone was familiar. Sorry. "Turning up your nose" at something means you don't like something. She didn't want the Christmas dinner that was being served.

turn your nose up at something Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary
It is a visual, it didn't happen.

She didn't walk around the house turning her nose up, otherwise my reply would've been different.

All she did is bring her own food. No biggie

Old 12-28-2015, 01:45 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,282,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But would your mother continue to serve things year after year that you do not like and won't eat?

This isn't their first holiday together. The girl knew she wouldn't receive a warm welcome and would most likely not have anything to eat. Instead of being hungry and miserable during the Christmas celebration, she decided to take matters into her own hands and bring her own food.
Grandma brought the ham.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:46 PM

88,954 posts, read 85,475,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But would your mother continue to serve things year after year that you do not like and won't eat?

This isn't their first holiday together. The girl knew she wouldn't receive a warm welcome and would most likely not have anything to eat. Instead of being hungry and miserable during the Christmas celebration, she decided to take matters into her own hands and bring her own food.
But where are you getting this from? I did ask way back if the OP KNEW that the stepdaughter didn't like ham, and if you recall, it wasn't the OP who provided the ham anyway, it was the stepdaughter's own grandmother, the husband's mother. I don't think the OP answered my question. It sounded as if there was plenty of other food besides the ham, too.

Do you know for certain that this is what has been served for "year after year"? I do think that if that is the case, SOMEONE, either the OP or the grandmother could make sure there was an alternate available, or the girl herself could offer to bring something that everyone else could share. Not fast food just for herself. Since the step-daughter is still college-aged, I really don't think it should be on her, though.

As for your first question, lol, yeah. This year my mother made lamb for herself and one of my brothers, and chicken for the other brother, who doesn't like lamb. My daughter and I are vegetarians. We ate the potatoes, corn, carrots, and green beans.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:49 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,804,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I have to ask.....for everyone who thought it so awful that I didn't have ONE table with enough chairs for everyone (even those who were late), do YOU have one table that sits 10-12 people? If not, what do you do? Who decides who sits where? Do you make place cards?

Like I said earlier, my dining room table will accommodate 8. That would've still left 2 people who would have to sit in the kitchen. Who should those 2 have been? (I asked this earlier but don't think I got an answer)
I also served a buffet style Christmas dinner. My table expands with 2 leaves and accommodated 12 this Christmas. Then I had 4 more sit around a card table in the next room. Finally, 3 more sat on bar stools by the breakfast bar. I have an open concept house, so we could all see each other. For dessert, everyone either sat at the big table or stood around with their dessert plates. There were no place tags. Everyone picked a seat, and since I was the hostess, I served myself last after I had refilled the bowls so they were ready for the others who would want seconds. Then, and only then, I found the last empty spot. I did not feel that as the hostess I should stake out the primo seating spot...

OP, you have GOT to dial this back....your husband very likely resents your treatment of HIS child, his daughter. The house is also presumably HIS house, and he would probably like HIS daughter to visit and to feel welcomed. If she tells him she does not feel welcomed due to you, how do you think that makes him feel?

Imagine this....you somehow get removed from the picture in the future (divorce, or heaven forbid, death), and your DH remarries when your little James is a teen. The new wife has no time for James, thinks he's a spoiled brat, knows he does not eat ______, but only provides ________. He stops by his dad's house for dinner, but it's awkward, because the new woman clearly does not like him......

How would you feel about the treatment of James?

Old 12-28-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
When I was 22, I invited my husbands family over for Christmas. We had been married about 2 years.

Oh my gosh, it was a nightmare. At least for a few minutes

I made Chicken Spaghetti because Chicken was on sale and we couldn't afford a Turkey. Kept to the other traditional side dishes. We had all the fixings for the rest of the meal costing very little money (using coupons)

Being the good hostess, I was the last to sit down. Everyone had already started eating.

Someone meekly said to me, "did you put garlic in this meal?" "I mean how much did you put?"

I told them I put a clove of garlic as the recipe said.

They responded "are you sure?"

I said "Sure I am sure, I only bought one Clove of Garlic"

You should've seen the looks on their faces

I knew something was up.

Took a bite and spit it out

We had just gotten some money from his parents, so I got up and took the $100 cash out of their Xmas Card in the other room and said I was taking orders for Taco Bell. They kept insisting on paying for themselves.I felt very bad but everyone was so kind it was forgotten pretty quickly.

HAHAHA, I did the same thing with a "clove of garlic" the first time I made a pot roast for my husband. I saw him trying to give it to the dog, and the dog didn't want it.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
It is a visual, it didn't happen.

She didn't walk around the house turning her nose up, otherwise my reply would've been different.

All she did is bring her own food. No biggie

Hm. How literal.

It is an expression, not something to be taken literally.

Do you think the phrase "a leopard can't change its spots" is about leopards? Seriously. I have heard that there really are people who do.

But this is getting off-topic!

Old 12-28-2015, 01:59 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,313,502 times
Quote:
She is their daughter not a little twit. It is her house, she can eat Taco Bell if she wishes.

You seem to have very vindictive outlook, almost kiniving...and are trying to put that on the daughter. She is 17, my guess is she just wanted something different than the OP served. IF so, she has the right to bring it to her own house.
She is 22, a college graduate, and engaged to be married. Where do u get 17?

Old 12-28-2015, 02:02 PM

920 posts, read 937,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hm. How literal.

It is an expression, not something to be taken literally.

Do you think the phrase "a leopard can't change its spots" is about leopards? Seriously. I have heard that there really are people who do.

But this is getting off-topic!
except it is a visual which didn't happen and it assigns ill motive where one doesn't exist.

No one turned up their nose at anything here. She brought food for herself

It isn't a neutral expression, it assigns motive where none exists. It's just a bag of food. Really, how anyone could treat their step daughter or think of her so hatefully over her bringing her own food is beyond me.

To get off topic again, at my xmas dinner I was using "The boys and girls cookbook" for that reciepe. Figuring it would tell and show me everything I could possibly need to know to cook chicken spaghetti.
Oh well, we still make it but with less garlic

Old 12-28-2015, 02:03 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,299,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
You people are insane. I've never said she wasn't welcome. She had a chair at the table for Dinner (I ended up at the island), she brought Taco Bell & ate what she wanted, and her grandmother is the one who was in charge of bringing "the meat". But somehow I was awful???

Must be a lot of bitter ex-wives on this board whose ex husbands married younger, more attractive women & had more kids.
You are an awful hostess, IMO.

This is your party. You should want your guests, even family, to be comfortable and ensure this to the best of your ability. You didn't.

According to your first version of events, you were going to wait until she arrived to eat. Where are you going to seat them? . If you had two extra seats before they for there, why not take one for yourself after they arrived?

My dining table is huge and can seat 10 without the leaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.