Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 01:26 PM

920 posts, read 936,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
??? Did you actually read this thread? She is not 17, she is 22 years old. College-educated and engaged to be married.

It is her father's house, but her stepmother is the woman of that house, and so she should be respected. She doesn't live there.

And sorry, but I continue to disagree. If my own mother was making me Christmas dinner, I wouldn't show up with a bag of fast-food and turn my nose up at what she cooked. It is disrespectful. I wouldn't do that to ANYONE who invited me over for dinner.
No I thought she was 17 years old, or was she 17 when they started dating?

Either way, all my responses stand anyhow.

The daughter didn't do anything to anyone. No one turned their nose up at anyone (you have interesting visuals you insert for exaggeration purposes eh?)

That is just trying to pick a fight where one doesn't exist. Not Cool

22,735 posts, read 19,389,030 times
Quote:
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."
oh, so they're going to have a barbecue next year? sounds like a plan!

15,546 posts, read 12,083,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Like I said earlier, my dining room table will accommodate 8. That would've still left 2 people who would have to sit in the kitchen. Who should those 2 have been? (I asked this earlier but don't think I got an answer)
You got plenty of answers.

My parent's dinning room table fits 10. If we had an extra guest or two, we could squeeze in an extra few chairs. Their kitchen table only seats 6. For some reason we always do dessert at the kitchen table, so we've squeezed 10 around that table. We've even had casual dinners at the kitchen table, and everyone managed to fit.

I'm still confused as to why your first few posts claimed the dinning room wasn't used because there weren't enough people, but now there were too many people to use that table.

The ten people include 2 young teenage girls and a two year old. We're not talking about fitting 10 linebackers around a table, or even 10 men. Your family should be able to fit around the table just fine. But if they can't, do as another suggested and stick a card table at the end.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:27 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,277,941 times
Quote:
??? Did you actually read this thread? She is not 17, she is 22 years old. College-educated and engaged to be married.

It is her father's house, but her stepmother is the woman of that house, and so she should be respected. She doesn't live there.

And sorry, but I continue to disagree. If my own mother was making me Christmas dinner, I wouldn't show up with a bag of fast-food and turn my nose up at what she cooked. It is disrespectful. I wouldn't do that to ANYONE who invited me over for dinner.
You nailed it here. I can't rep you any more.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:31 PM

88,875 posts, read 85,346,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
That little twit is family. More specifically, that little twit is the op's husband's daughter who is home for the holiday. I totally agree that brining Taco Bell to a holiday meal was dumb but also not something worth getting that upset over. The op aired her feelings about it to her SD, which was appropriate. Holding a grudge over it is not healthy for anyone.
True, but she's not MY family, so I can call her a little twit if I want.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:33 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,083,468 times
Quote:
If my own mother was making me Christmas dinner, I wouldn't show up with a bag of fast-food and turn my nose up at what she cooked. It is disrespectful. I wouldn't do that to ANYONE who invited me over for dinner.
But would your mother continue to serve things year after year that you do not like and won't eat?

This isn't their first holiday together. The girl knew she wouldn't receive a warm welcome and would most likely not have anything to eat. Instead of being hungry and miserable during the Christmas celebration, she decided to take matters into her own hands and bring her own food.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:34 PM

When I was 22, I invited my husbands family over for Christmas. We had been married about 2 years.

Oh my gosh, it was a nightmare. At least for a few minutes

I made Chicken Spaghetti because Chicken was on sale and we couldn't afford a Turkey. Kept to the other traditional side dishes. We had all the fixings for the rest of the meal costing very little money (using coupons)

Being the good hostess, I was the last to sit down. Everyone had already started eating.

Someone meekly said to me, "did you put garlic in this meal?" "I mean how much did you put?"

I told them I put a clove of garlic as the recipe said.

They responded "are you sure?"

I said "Sure I am sure, I only bought one Clove of Garlic"

You should've seen the looks on their faces

I knew something was up.

Took a bite and spit it out

We had just gotten some money from his parents, so I got up and took the $100 cash out of their Xmas Card in the other room and said I was taking orders for Taco Bell. They kept insisting on paying for themselves.I felt very bad but everyone was so kind it was forgotten pretty quickly.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,294,953 times
OP, all I can tell you is that if you pit yourself against your husband's daughter, or keep drama stirred up between the two of you, you'll have about as much success and happiness as if your husband kept drama stirring between your kids and him.

I mean, put yourself in his place. He loves his daughter. He wants her to feel comfortable in his home. He wants her to feel comfortable and at ease with ALL of the people he loves, including you and your kids. He wants you to be happy. He wants you to be nurturing and loving toward his daughter. He wants you to enjoy having her as a guest in the home that you and he share.

No wonder he's silent. I think if he spoke up much, neither of you would like what he has to say.

But he won't sit placidly forever. If you and his daughter keep snipping at each other, and keep drama going between the two of you, it may not end in your favor. And even if it does, what have you really gained - a grieving father who misses his comfortable, loving relationship with his child, and who may place some blame for that heartache on you - possibly for good reason?

You have more to lose than to gain in this ongoing tit for tat. And I don't know about you, but personally one of the things that attracted me to my husband was that he is a good and loving father to his son - my stepson. I realized early on that I needed to support their relationship and that the more love and kindness and gentleness that I extended to his son, the more the father loved me.

And my stepson has not been all sweetness and light. In fact, he went through a really rough patch when he was in his late teens and we had to both really stand firm. But we stood together - and one of the ways we did that is that in spite of my stepson's terrible behavior at the time, I never lambasted him to his dad. Now - his dad is a reasonable person, and therefore he did not allow his son to actually disrespect me - but I also wasn't hypersensitive to any little slight either. I can promise you - if he'd brought over a bag of Taco Bell and sat down with his girlfriend at our table, I would never have made an issue out of either of those events. I would have ignored the TB and just pulled up a chair to the table and said, "Y'all scoot over and let me in here," and then given him a big grin and said, "Next time you stop at Taco Bell, bring me some of those cinnamon thingies - I love those!"

Pick your battles, because when everything is a battle, everyone loses - you included. You ESPECIALLY, because you come off looking petty and mean spirited toward the daughter your husband loves. And one day he may just realize he's sick of it.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:36 PM

88,875 posts, read 85,346,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
No I thought she was 17 years old, or was she 17 when they started dating?

Either way, all my responses stand anyhow.

The daughter didn't do anything to anyone. No one turned their nose up at anyone (you have interesting visuals you insert for exaggeration purposes eh?)

That is just trying to pick a fight where one doesn't exist. Not Cool
No visuals, no exaggeration. It's a common expression with which I thought everyone was familiar. Sorry. "Turning up your nose" at something means you don't like something. She didn't want the Christmas dinner that was being served.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/d...p-at-something

Old 12-28-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyqueen801 View Post
true, but she's not my family, so i can call her a little twit if i want. :d
lol!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships