Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2015, 08:08 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,367,658 times

Advertisements

Well isn't she just a little snit and a joy to have in your life? Chalk it up to bad manners and recognize the fact that she will probably add this kind of fun to future gatherings. Roll your eyes and move on.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:12 AM

19,897 posts, read 9,458,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Because those children no matter the age, are the spawn of her husband. There is no other way of looking at it, IMHO.

Then again, maybe that's why my marriage to a formerly single father has worked all these years, and many others don't.
Thanks for answering. I have never been a stepchild or a stepmother, so I was just asking the question as a complete outsider. It just seems to me that if my parents were divorced, and my dad remarried when I was 17 or 18, my new stepmom and I would not have much of any kind of a relationship, bad or good, unless she was either extremely wonderful or else a truly evil "stepmonster." At 17 or 18, I think I would just be concerned with getting on with my own life (college or whatever) and my dad's new wife wouldn't concern me that much at all. But, again, I am just basing that on how I think I would feel, and maybe I am not like most people!

Old 12-29-2015, 08:13 AM

2,322 posts, read 925,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Speaking of dissin', I'm about tired of people dissin' ham.
Hear, Hear!

Old 12-29-2015, 08:19 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,307,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Thanks for answering. I have never been a stepchild or a stepmother, so I was just asking the question as a complete outsider. It just seems to me that if my parents were divorced, and my dad remarried when I was 17 or 18, my new stepmom and I would not have much of any kind of a relationship, bad or good, unless she was either extremely wonderful or else a truly evil "stepmonster." At 17 or 18, I think I would just be concerned with getting on with my own life (college or whatever) and my dad's new wife wouldn't concern me that much at all. But, again, I am just basing that on how I think I would feel, and maybe I am not like most people!
And that is exactly how it happened. (See my reply above)

Old 12-29-2015, 08:56 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,002,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City-duck View Post
Worthless post but how did this get 44 pages long in one day? I feel emasculated.
Give your testes a good shake, you'll feel better.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-29-2015, 09:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,153,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Give your testes a good shake, you'll feel better.

This reminds me of that old joke.

Two old guys were sitting on a park bench together - sharing a bag of Taco Bell. Their old dog was laying in a patch of sun at their feet, and he began to do that old licking thing that dogs love to do - laying there in the sun licking his rear end and other parts lazily and contentedly.

One of the old guys says, "That looks like it feels good. I wish I could do that."

The other old guy says, "Man, that dog would kill you."

Old 12-29-2015, 09:53 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,119,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
She sat at the table with her father and grandparents, yes?
Seems to me she wasn't being rude, but rather opting to sit with those whom she was most comfortable. Why would she want to sit with your children whom she is older and never lived with? Do they even get along?

Bringing Taco bell was a bit odd, but if your husband had no issue, then this must be a learned behavior.
Honestly, it sounds like you just don't like this girl.
This post is pretty much what my thoughts are on the situation^^ As a stepdaughter, I go to family holiday dinners to see my dad and grandparents. Not stepsisters with whom I have no relationship. Thankfully, though, my stepmom and I get along great.

May have been mentioned at some point in this very long thread, but is this the house the daughter grew up in? And how long has the OP been married to the father?

Old 12-29-2015, 10:31 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,488,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I plan on making a big joke out of it as others have suggested. DH's family likes to use humor to deal with things, so I'm going to follow their lead. Next time she asks if she & fiancé can come over for dinner (this has happened more than once & of course they're always welcome), I'll tell her to bring Taco Bell for everyone. When anyone asks what we're doing for XYZ holiday, I'm gonna say "I think Bella should bring Taco Bell for everyone!" Taco Bell gift cards for birthdays, wedding presents, Etc, etc. gonna have fun with it and never let her live it down!!!
This has all turned kind of lighthearted, so I hope you're just joking about this. Doing something like that could turn into a giant snowball as it rolls down hill.

I can just see her calling her dad crying and saying something like...I just don't feel like I fit in, so I'm going to be skipping Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. from now on. Worse yet, she could also call the grandparents and do the same with them. And then...rolling, rolling, rolling...pretty soon dad's son calls with the same news because the daughter has pulled the sympathy card with him too.

You have to ask yourself how dad, granny, and gramps will feel if the daughter and/or son pull away from family functions because of your joking. It might generate some ill feelings toward you from all three.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:05 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,643,409 times
Can't believe how long this thread is. I'm still on page 33. So far, I've learned that I'm a rude guest because I often don't eat at holiday dinners. I don't bring in my own food, but I don't eat something just to be polite either. I've been doing it for over 30 years now so I figured my family is used to it.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:08 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,307,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
This has all turned kind of lighthearted, so I hope you're just joking about this. Doing something like that could turn into a giant snowball as it rolls down hill.

I can just see her calling her dad crying and saying something like...I just don't feel like I fit in, so I'm going to be skipping Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. from now on. Worse yet, she could also call the grandparents and do the same with them. And then...rolling, rolling, rolling...pretty soon dad's son calls with the same news because the daughter has pulled the sympathy card with him too.

You have to ask yourself how dad, granny, and gramps will feel if the daughter and/or son pull away from family functions because of your joking. It might generate some ill feelings toward you from all three.
I'm not joking. My entire husband's family is a bunch of jokesters. I might not even have to say anything....they will probably beat me to it! His parents are old, but they're a hoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships