Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 08:36 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

We don't choose our friends by the amount in their bank account, if they are not good humans no amount of money is going to make that any better. Perhaps it is how you present yourself to others that is causing you issues, flaunting one's wealth and arrogance is not attractive to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 08:40 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
My friendships don't involve bank balances. If I can't afford to do something, I have no problem saying so. If that causes problems for them, then the friendship wasn't viable to begin with. My best friend and I have very disparate incomes - it's totally not an issue. If I can't do something, I say so. We'll get together another time. It's not a big deal.

People shouldn't be valued or judged on shallow things like a bank balance. That's just ludicrous.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:04 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
My friendships don't involve bank balances. If I can't afford to do something, I have no problem saying so. If that causes problems for them, then the friendship wasn't viable to begin with. My best friend and I have very disparate incomes - it's totally not an issue. If I can't do something, I say so. We'll get together another time. It's not a big deal.

People shouldn't be valued or judged on shallow things like a bank balance. That's just ludicrous.
Hey, all my friends have money! lol... Well put, really. I find I either have a connection with someone or I don't. I cherish the people that I do have a connections with and know that I need to do a better job on getting out there and developing more. I am far from rich and actually don't care whether someone is or not.

I took a friend out to Chipolte tonight for fifteen bucks and some change.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:24 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
But it's not the issue you are talking about, OP. Your issue crosses class boundaries and is a personality problem, not an income problem.
Please Elaborate.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2016, 09:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Please Elaborate.

Thanks
OK

Quote:

One guy caught wind that I was comfortable financially and commented that "So you like to slum it huh?"

People with money can alienate themselves, which I find boring.

...Anyway once other people caught wind of who I am their attitudes towards me changed.

...never fails though people hate on me for the $.
All of these statements ^^^ stem from personality problems: insecurity, mainly, but also arrogance and prejudice.

So those people aren't going to be true friends no matter how much they make because they mostly think of themselves.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:46 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
OK

All of these statements ^^^ stem from personality problems: insecurity, mainly, but also arrogance and prejudice.

So those people aren't going to be true friends no matter how much they make because they mostly think of themselves.
Sorry I still don't understand. Are you referring to me or the other people when you mention personality problems ? It isn't clear.

Thanks Again.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:55 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Sorry I still don't understand. Are you referring to me or the other people when you mention personality problems ? It isn't clear.

Thanks Again.
The other people, of course.

... except for the one about rich people alienating themselves. That was you being judgy.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:55 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
The income disparity problem can be there when the difference is much less than "rich vs poor". In my group of college friends, those who became teachers or social workers can't afford to keep up with the Drs and lawyers, though none of them are poor or rich.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:16 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I went to an elite private school and an Ivy League college. Although I grew up financially comfortable to a certain degree, my family and my parents' friends and my friends span a wide range of socioeconomic levels. I have friends with trust funds and friends who grew up on food stamps.

I held and still hold many of my former classmates in utter contempt because they were overindulged, spoiled brats. However, my one best friend will one day inherit millions - she is one of the most ethical, down-to-earth and hardworking people I know.

I think having a lot of money reveals your true character. What kind of person are you going to be if you don't have any economic concerns holding you back and you know your basic needs will always be taken care of?

I don't automatically resent people who have a ton of money. I do, however, avoid people who have every advantage and don't appreciate it or squander their privilege.

If you've got people accusing you of "slumming it" - that either reflects on you or them. Maybe both? I'll just say this - one of the greatest compliments I've ever been paid was by a friend who introduced me to her large working-class family. Afterwards, she told me that I was the exact same person no matter who I interacted with. I'm not any different whether I'm dealing with a millionaire PhD or the waitress at my hometown diner. I also live my life with a deep appreciation for the random roll of the dice that landed me in the life that I have. I worked hard, but so much of what I have was because I got lucky in terms of who my parents are and the advantages they provided me.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:18 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
Money doesn't matter as much as a common bond or interests. I've had wealthy friends and poor friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships