Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 02:07 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokes on YOU View Post
Sorry he doesn't need an excuse and in my experience family is more trouble than they're worth, if they get upset at him over for not doing something that he dislikes I say cut them off.
Reread the OP, he doesn't have a problem with his brother, and doesn't have a problem with the future wife. He just doesn't want to bother. Hell, no one wants to bother I hate wedding and funerals and all of that crap, but you go to be polite.

That's how the world works, we sometimes do things that we don't want to do, it's called being a grown up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 02:15 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,608,265 times
If you don't go you'll be missing out. Wedding cake is the best!

Old 05-01-2016, 02:17 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
I find this thread interesting in that most posters are saying that the OP should go, and that he's doing it for the people there, not for himself. When the topic of attending funerals come up (and, let's face it, attendance is also often done for the people there and not necessarily for oneself), the opposite advice is generally given.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:35 PM

26 posts, read 7,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Reread the OP, he doesn't have a problem with his brother, and doesn't have a problem with the future wife. He just doesn't want to bother. Hell, no one wants to bother I hate wedding and funerals and all of that crap, but you go to be polite.

That's how the world works, we sometimes do things that we don't want to do, it's called being a grown up.
I don't have a problem with my family either but if someone tries to make me feel bad for not doing something I don't wan't to, good riddance. No being an adult is making the best decisions for yourself regardless of who likes them, he owes no one nothing.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:37 PM

5,134 posts, read 4,487,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I find this thread interesting in that most posters are saying that the OP should go, and that he's doing it for the people there, not for himself. When the topic of attending funerals come up (and, let's face it, attendance is also often done for the people there and not necessarily for oneself), the opposite advice is generally given.
I have NOT noticed that the funeral threads contain the opposite advice of this thread.

While the funeral threads can be a bit of a mix, generally they usually have a LOT of people offering the same advice as on here: go in order to be supportive the grieving loved ones.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:45 PM

5,134 posts, read 4,487,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokes on YOU View Post
...being an adult is making the best decisions for yourself regardless of who likes them, he owes no one nothing.
^^^^ No, that's called being self centered, narcissistic, and a bunch of other unsavory word that I'll not mention.

You are not in this world by yourself. You have to take the feelings and needs of others into consideration if you want to have harmonious and caring relationships with others. Sometimes you have to put your desires or needs on the back burner for the sake of someone you love.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:50 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,251,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Asking questions about why he's not married, etc. is not a good enough reason to cut off his family. Sorry, people have been putting up with stuff like this forever. Mature adults do all kinds of things they don't particularly want to because it's the right thing to do. This wedding isn't about him. He has no good reason not to go, and would be fully deserving of the wrath he's likely to catch if he doesn't go. Not going, simply put, makes him a selfish jerk.
So I should just go to make everyone feel at ease and that's what adults do? I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. And that goes against my normal routine. I'm an adult and I'm allowed to make my own decisions.

You guys go to places where don't want to go . . . . you do things you don't want to do, and for what? Just to conform and please people. Sounds like a sad existence if you ask me.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:57 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
So I should just go to make everyone feel at ease and that's what adults do? I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. And that goes against my normal routine. I'm an adult and I'm allowed to make my own decisions.

You guys go to places where don't want to go . . . . you do things you don't want to do, and for what? Just to conform and please people. Sounds like a sad existence if you ask me.
Yup, do things like that all the time. I give of myself. It isn't a sad existence. When you are at work, you do stuff you don't want to do don't you? Because it's your job?

I can't understand your way of thinking not doing something so simple, just because you don't want to when it can make someone else happy.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:07 PM

4 posts, read 2,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
^^^^ No, that's called being self centered, narcissistic, and a bunch of other unsavory word that I'll not mention.

You are not in this world by yourself. You have to take the feelings and needs of others into consideration if you want to have harmonious and caring relationships with others. Sometimes you have to put your desires or needs on the back burner for the sake of someone you love.
My own mom didn't put down the drugs to take care of me so no Im not putting my needs on the backburner for anybody.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post

Hey, you asked. Yes, going to a wedding maybe once a year, if that, makes my life sooo sad If you are unwilling to break your routine for your brother that you otherwise have no issue with, you have a problem. That's not normal. You came here looking for validation for behaving like a selfish child. You're not going to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships