Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 02:14 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,905,067 times

Advertisements

In response to "Jokesonyou," Because when a sibling or parent decides to not show up at someone's wedding, people will notice and talk. If someone needs t have the focus on them, and lots of drama swirling around them, they will do things like refuse to show up at a close family member's wedding. Weddings are long and quite boring, and people spend the time talking. They don't limit their conversation to talking about the happy couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 03:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
In response to "Jokesonyou," Because when a sibling or parent decides to not show up at someone's wedding, people will notice and talk. If someone needs t have the focus on them, and lots of drama swirling around them, they will do things like refuse to show up at a close family member's wedding. Weddings are long and quite boring, and people spend the time talking. They don't limit their conversation to talking about the happy couple.

Exactly, the only time people won't talk or talk much about it is if the sibling lives on the other side of the country or in another country.

If the OP is local to the brother it will be the hot topic at the reception.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:49 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,628,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I'm a male and I don't really understand marriage/weddings. Frankly, I don't understand why people get married.

I don't want to deal with the fuss. Family members are supporting the wedding but it seems like it's making them a little too chaotic and I want to avoid this. I'm cool with my brother but it's not like we hang out. So I'm thinking about avoiding the wedding. I support their marriage and I'm fine being there for them after the wedding.
I read all of the posts here and you haven't responded yet to your original Question :

"Is it ok to not show up to my brother's wedding?

Yes it is !!!

Only if you are a Astronaut on the International Space Station and can't make it !!!

If you are cool with your brother why won't you attend? Weddings are always full of chaos but are you involved in the planning ? I'm assuming you aren't so how does that chaos affect you personally and that "chaos" disappears after the wedding event.
Whatever your perceptions of Marriage is, this is not the time for you to start thinking about them and ignore your brother's wedding because of them ,unless you can say otherwise.
You need to dust off that Tuxedo , polish your best shoes and be there for your brother on one of the most important days of his life.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:26 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
I had a funny feeling about this thread, so I went to the OP's profile and checked "statistics."

Take a look at the sheer volume of threads posted and the titles.

This poster starts a gazillion threads just to wind people up.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:36 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I'm a male and I don't really understand marriage/weddings. Frankly, I don't understand why people get married.

I don't want to deal with the fuss. Family members are supporting the wedding but it seems like it's making them a little too chaotic and I want to avoid this. I'm cool with my brother but it's not like we hang out. So I'm thinking about avoiding the wedding. I support their marriage and I'm fine being there for them after the wedding.
This can't possibly be a real post.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I had a funny feeling about this thread, so I went to the OP's profile and checked "statistics."

Take a look at the sheer volume of threads posted and the titles.

This poster starts a gazillion threads just to wind people up.
I just noticed he hasn't been back. I looked at his previous posts as you suggested. They're all pretty dumb and he doesn't seem to care about replies to his questions.

I'm going to block him. Why waste time on people who engage in this kind of silliness?

Old 04-29-2016, 05:33 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I just noticed he hasn't been back. I looked at his previous posts as you suggested. They're all pretty dumb and he doesn't seem to care about replies to his questions.

I'm going to block him. Why waste time on people who engage in this kind of silliness?
I've never blocked anyone before, but this may be the poster with whom to start the blocking process.

Does blocking a poster mean that all the threads started by that poster are blocked, or just the posts made by the poster? My goal would be to not get sucked into the thread itself.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:35 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
I block people who make ridiculous or offensive posts all the time. Makes my time here at C-D much more pleasant. I'm up to 58 now.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,630,750 times
Get out of the house and have some fun. Weddings are fun after the legalities....

Old 04-29-2016, 06:23 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,251,664 times
Hey guys, I have been busy and I don't have my password on my phone so I haven't been able to log-in. I will address the questions shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships