Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 03:39 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times

Advertisements

Celebrating a happy event for someone you love isn't necessarily "social conformity".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 04:44 PM

45 posts, read 42,424 times
Take yourself out of it for a moment and imagine how your brother would feel if you didn’t come. If you know he’ll be hurt then just go. If possible, bring a friend to help buffer all the chaos of this event..

Old 05-01-2016, 04:49 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
That work analogy doesn't work. I'm getting paid so it makes sense to me.

Doing things just for social conformity purposes is different.
Then don't go. Live with the fallout. Just don't come back here to start a thread about how your family wants nothing to do with you. Deal?

Old 05-01-2016, 06:33 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,577,135 times
Make sure you're not doing it for attention but blowing off a sibling's wedding is not like blowing off a coworker's (which I do all the time -- I just happen to have colonoscopies scheduled on the same days).

Get there late, leave early, try to pick up some bridesmaid.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:42 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Make sure you're not doing it for attention but blowing off a sibling's wedding is not like blowing off a coworker's (which I do all the time -- I just happen to have colonoscopies scheduled on the same days).

Get there late, leave early, try to pick up some bridesmaid.

Yeah, I said that he should show up, I didn't say he had to stay a long time.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:39 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,946 times
Quote:
So I should just go to make everyone feel at ease and that's what adults do? I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. And that goes against my normal routine. I'm an adult and I'm allowed to make my own decisions.

You guys go to places where don't want to go . . . . you do things you don't want to do, and for what? Just to conform and please people. Sounds like a sad existence if you ask me.
Yes, it is. If you can't understand this you've got bigger problems than going to your brothers wedding.

Quote:
That work analogy doesn't work. I'm getting paid so it makes sense to me.

Doing things just for social conformity purposes is different.
It's not for "social conformity" It's for family, for the relationship you have with him. Not going to someone's wedding is a HUGE way to make a statement. It's a few hours, of one day of your whole life that could save you a lot of future drama and grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Then don't go. Live with the fallout. Just don't come back here to start a thread about how your family wants nothing to do with you. Deal?
I actually look forward to that thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:46 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,628,150 times
Quote:
So I should just go to make everyone feel at ease and that's what adults do? I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. And that goes against my normal routine. I'm an adult and I'm allowed to make my own decisions.

You guys go to places where don't want to go . . . . you do things you don't want to do, and for what? Just to conform and please people. Sounds like a sad existence if you ask me.
You still haven't answered my Question as to why you are trying to avoid your brother's wedding besides the shoving your thumb into your mouth silly excuses about Marriage.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:36 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Go. You'll be happy you did.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:57 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,116,005 times
It's pretty clear after what you've posted that you're just super jealous of the fact that your brother found someone to love and marry and you're still single. And rather than being completely honest about your jelousy, you're making up all of this B's about not believing in marriage and blah blah whatever else nonsense you've said.

My sister just got married last weekend. I've never been more happy for her and I've never seen her more happy. It was an honor to be there and to welcome my new brother in law and his family to my family. I have also been sick for the past two weeks with a flu that hasn't gone away but I still traveled and attended the wedding because she's my sister and I'd never ever considered missing it for anything!

Old 05-02-2016, 08:06 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,257,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
It's pretty clear after what you've posted that you're just super jealous of the fact that your brother found someone to love and marry and you're still single. And rather than being completely honest about your jelousy, you're making up all of this B's about not believing in marriage and blah blah whatever else nonsense you've said.

My sister just got married last weekend. I've never been more happy for her and I've never seen her more happy. It was an honor to be there and to welcome my new brother in law and his family to my family. I have also been sick for the past two weeks with a flu that hasn't gone away but I still traveled and attended the wedding because she's my sister and I'd never ever considered missing it for anything!
This is what everyone wants their siblings to be like.

Way to go, ChiGal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships