Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 08:19 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
So I should just go to make everyone feel at ease and that's what adults do? I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. And that goes against my normal routine. I'm an adult and I'm allowed to make my own decisions.

You guys go to places where don't want to go . . . . you do things you don't want to do, and for what? Just to conform and please people. Sounds like a sad existence if you ask me.
Life isn't all about you. Sounds like a pretty sad existence to me if you think the world is solely about you and what you want.

You are acting like a spoiled adolescent, not an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 08:35 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Declining to go to a wedding, when the person getting married is a relative, usually depends on how close you are to them. I didn't attend my cousin's wedding because I don't like him. My sister and mother didn't attend either. I could not care less. I don't talk to most of my family so their inane chattering and gossiping doesn't faze me. The last time I saw most of them was at my grandfather's funeral 6 years ago.

However, one of my other cousins is getting married this year and I will definitely be attending, because we were always close growing up. I don't enjoy weddings, but it would be exceptionally rude for me to not go, and there is no valid reason for me to decline, considering there are no hard feelings between us.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:35 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,415 times
My cousin did not go to another cousin's wedding this weekend because of his wife's immaturity. We are all upset with him. Trust me...go to your brother's wedding. The ceremony is typically short, and then you party. It's not difficult.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:54 AM

151 posts, read 126,924 times
I'm in a similar boat with my sister and couldn't imagine skipping her wedding. (Granted, I'm not anti-marriage or anything; I'm really happy for her, her fiance, and my little nephew.)

I mean, it's not going to be a fun reception for me. I'll have to fly there, which sort of keeps me from bringing a date. I'm not really going to know anyone except our parents and maybe a couple other relatives. (We have a dispersed family that isn't very close, so I'd imagine the guests will mostly be their friends and his family.) But she's less than 2 years younger than me, so we've basically lived our whole lives with each other, and being there to support her on her big day is worth dealing with being uncomfortable for a few hours because of it. Plus I guess I can babysit my nephew if I really get bored.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:16 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Quote:
So I should just go to make everyone feel at ease and that's what adults do? I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. And that goes against my normal routine. I'm an adult and I'm allowed to make my own decisions.

You guys go to places where don't want to go . . . . you do things you don't want to do, and for what? Just to conform and please people. Sounds like a sad existence if you ask me.
It goes against your normal routine to celebrate the happy times of family and friends? That sounds like a sad existence to me. Life is short and uncertain, FF. Never miss an opportunity to spend time with people you love. And if it's a happy day, full of love, excitement, expectation and good food, all the better.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:30 AM

973 posts, read 915,741 times
your brother has a crappy brother...

Old 05-02-2016, 10:59 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Declining to go to a wedding, when the person getting married is a relative, usually depends on how close you are to them. I didn't attend my cousin's wedding because I don't like him. My sister and mother didn't attend either. I could not care less. I don't talk to most of my family so their inane chattering and gossiping doesn't faze me. The last time I saw most of them was at my grandfather's funeral 6 years ago.

However, one of my other cousins is getting married this year and I will definitely be attending, because we were always close growing up. I don't enjoy weddings, but it would be exceptionally rude for me to not go, and there is no valid reason for me to decline, considering there are no hard feelings between us.
Cousins are not the same as siblings, and the OP is decently close to this brother. He just can't be bothered to step out of his normal routine to attend.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:16 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
My cousin did not go to another cousin's wedding this weekend because of his wife's immaturity. We are all upset with him. Trust me...go to your brother's wedding. The ceremony is typically short, and then you party. It's not difficult.
We went to a wedding just a couple of months ago. It was for some family members, but they are pretty removed, we could have played the we're busy card, but when someone gives you an invite 2 months in advance it's pretty hard to get out of it. So we went, it turned out to be a crappy day for a few reasons. The marriage was outdoors on a bluff overlooking the ocean and it would have been nice as hell but for some reason on that day a freezing fog rolled in when just the day before it had been around 80 degrees, so we're sitting there literally freezing our butts off, the microphone kept cutting out so half the time you couldn't hear what was going on, the parking situation sucked. These are younger people without any money so they went extra cheap on the reception, I don't blame them, I'm just saying. While we were at the reception there were a couple of really really smelly homeless people hanging around the restroom. I know how I sound, I'm not trying to be snooty but these were the types that are literally insane and should've been in a facility of some sorts. I also got a massive bloody nose that wouldn't stop and I ended up going into an ER that ended up costing me 800 bucks.

Overall, yeah, not a pleasant day, but we sometimes have to do things for family.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:21 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,846 times
Default multiple choice

Quote:
I'm a male and I don't really understand marriage/weddings. Frankly, I don't understand why people get married.

I don't want to deal with the fuss. Family members are supporting the wedding but it seems like it's making them a little too chaotic and I want to avoid this. I'm cool with my brother but it's not like we hang out. So I'm thinking about avoiding the wedding. I support their marriage and I'm fine being there for them after the wedding.
A. You are actually 13 and mad that Mom and Dad are making you go
B. You are gay and afraid to come out to the family
C. You are truly emotionally damaged and cannot understand why you should go
D. You are a troll on the CD board
D. All the above

Old 05-02-2016, 06:23 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,249,463 times
Quote:
I'm a male and I don't really understand marriage/weddings. Frankly, I don't understand why people get married.

I don't want to deal with the fuss. Family members are supporting the wedding but it seems like it's making them a little too chaotic and I want to avoid this. I'm cool with my brother but it's not like we hang out. So I'm thinking about avoiding the wedding. I support their marriage and I'm fine being there for them after the wedding.
Seriously? You're going to give up all that free food and drink?

SS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships