Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 07:52 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,796,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Except, no, she doesn't have to live with it. Something like this would almost be grounds for a divorce (if nothing changed), at least for me it would.
Wow. That's kind of sad. All relationships involve give and take. People with long lasting marriages know that and figure out how to make things work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 08:03 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,425,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Wow. That's kind of sad. All relationships involve give and take. People with long lasting marriages know that and figure out how to make things work.
Give and take when it comes to trivial matters? Sure, some sort of give and take/compromising is involved (and almost always is).

However, when it comes to finances? No, things like that and/or a situation like the OP's is where I'd draw the line. Usually I wouldn't say this, but if I'm the OP, I offer the husband an ultimatum. Either start having all the families split, or I'm gone.

The OP's husband is clearly soft. Lol, stuff like that wouldn't fly with my Mother. She doesn't tolerate getting used like that (even more now that she's gotten older).

Old 01-08-2017, 08:27 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,899,216 times
A possible explanation is that for many people getting together with family and having an enjoyable time is much more important than keeping score.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:29 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,368,076 times
Get a divorce? That's a LOT radical. The children need both a mother & a father.

It's hard to imagine now, but someday those folks will be gone & your husband will be happy he did what he did for them in the future as opposed to feeling regret.

Yup, it's a pain in the backside but try to concentrate on why you married him. Don't let this destroy your family.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:40 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,525,315 times
Is it really causing a hardship in your budget? Are your kids actually missing out on something? Or is it just bugging you? The next time there is a financial discussion, be sure to bring up the amount that is being spent on these meals and gifts.

If it's upsetting you so much, I think you really need to figure out why, and present your case in a way that will make more sense to your husband. Perhaps he will give you a better explanation of his side that will make it clearer to you. Right now neither of you are really talking about what's really behind your argument which is why it's going nowhere.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:53 PM

101 posts, read 116,899 times
Right ive wondered if im being petty and maybe it's just that my DH enjoys getting together with his family and he doesn't care about the money. However im in the picture now as his wife and it's my money too

I think he maybe is in denial about his brother making more than him. He told me his brother's salary is 120k and DH did make more than that last year but that's with OT and details. S will make 120k regardless of how much work he does and i think he must get bonuses. Hes been with the company 15 years, i think hes been lucky but in his lifetime he will absolutely make more than a cop as vp of finace and my DH just needs to accept that. And his wife makes more than i do so there ya go.

DHs brother who is 35 had some issues with drugs. He is the youngest and just seemed like he got left behind. He is an office manager and his boss contacted ME once when he hadnt shown up to work. I was horrifiedm apparently they know his history and dont want to fire him. Lucky guy. He also lives at MY aunts house in one of her apartments for free. This is a new situation. So yes he has the money to chip in for dinner.

I know my DH doesnt want to see anything bad happen to his brother but i wish S would wake up when it comes to the dinner bills. I know they probably spend more on the mother than we do since she stays with them but i want to slap his mother in law in the face. She clearly doenst give a **** about my family's well being.

I am more frugal than DH but we do have savings. I just wish to God he spent less on gifts. The icing on the cake was S told us theyre going to disney on friday. They go away a lot...so yes they certainly take care of their own family first

I dont mind paying for DHs mom...i mean that is his mom and if he wants to treat her fine i can live with that. It's beyond me why the boyfriend cant help out but i know there were issues with him where no one liked him at one point and i think theyve just accepted him because their mother loves him.

I just feel that im going to be angry everytime i go out with these people. My dh and i are not poor but it does seem ridiculous that my dh gives better gifts to fancy finance brother than he does to us and the equal splitting of the bill when it's S's mother in law angers me. I could give a damn about her but she is ALWAYs there. She lives closeby and she cant even give DHs mother alone time with her grandkids when she visits it seems

I just couldnt imagine just sitting there letting another family pay for my meal over and over without getting anything in return. I think that's also the kicker for me. I hate people who dont reciprocate or give back. It's sooo ignorant.

I understand peoples points that this isnt worth ruining a marriage over but dh needs to listen to my feelings on this. He knows i basically hate his family now.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:00 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,425,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
A possible explanation is that for many people getting together with family and having an enjoyable time is much more important than keeping score.
Right, but at some point, reciprocate or giving back is something you should do.

This is how people start using you. I'm with the OP on this one.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:03 PM

101 posts, read 116,899 times
Oh and i had to add that DH gives his dad who we never see $25 a week. His dad has a lot of health problems. I cant say im happy about this...but sometimes people have to help out aging parents and $25 a week isnt breaking the bank. I just dont know what the future holds with his family and it makes me uneasy. Who will need money next? Also last year S decided that he and my DH should get the brother a mattress for xmas. A mattress is a pretty expensive gift for a brother for xmas from two men that have families. I think if S wanted to buy his brother a mattress he should just do it.and leave my dh out of it. Of course my dh wont say no. So i have to just be the nag who askes why are you doing that etc.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:16 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,353,983 times
Quote:
Of course my dh wont say no
And therein lies the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Oh, puhleeze. Score? What score? No need for "scorekeeping". Freeloaders, cheapskates, & users don't require an accounting. Zero = zero.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:27 PM

15,256 posts, read 13,070,253 times
OP, you've been married for three years. You've been busy having a couple of kids since the wedding. This is about the time when unexpected issues start to surface, such as one partner possibly being enmeshed with his birth family. Sometimes people go into marriage without fully understanding all that must change with the formation of a new family unit.

You two must work this out. Your family's future is at stake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships