Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 05:42 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,078,321 times

Advertisements

You have sort of a weird range of people going to dinner, weird IMHO primarily due to the addition of the once-removed MIL and her boyfriend. If it was just 'S' and you two, it should be an easy convo to settle the deal...probably take turns picking up the check.

Adding S's MIL and her boyfriend. If I was 'S' there's almost no scenario where I would expect others to pay for my MIL and her beau at a restaurant. Maybe once in a great while as an act of uncommon generosity or something, or at a wedding or funeral meal. But from your description they sound like just hangers-on. Maybe I'm wrong...

In any case a talk with your DH, doesn't have to be confrontational, is in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 06:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,532,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
You have sort of a weird range of people going to dinner, weird IMHO primarily due to the addition of the once-removed MIL and her boyfriend. If it was just 'S' and you two, it should be an easy convo to settle the deal...probably take turns picking up the check.

Adding S's MIL and her boyfriend. If I was 'S' there's almost no scenario where I would expect others to pay for my MIL and her beau at a restaurant. Maybe once in a great while as an act of uncommon generosity or something, or at a wedding or funeral meal. But from your description they sound like just hangers-on. Maybe I'm wrong...

In any case a talk with your DH, doesn't have to be confrontational, is in order.
Pretty sure the boyfriend belongs to the OP's MIL, not the BIL's MIL.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:29 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,613,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
A possible explanation is that for many people getting together with family and having an enjoyable time is much more important than keeping score.
Yeah, especially for the ones who don't pay for the "enjoyable time".

Old 01-09-2017, 06:32 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,477,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Pretty sure the boyfriend belongs to the OP's MIL, not the BIL's MIL.

That's what I got out of it too. OP can correct if wrong.

Its not at all unusual imo for adult sons to offer/insist on paying for their parents meal and by extension their parents significant other in lieu of a natural other parent.

Its also not at all unusual for a man to offer/insist on paying for his mother-in-law. My husband would never let my mother or my father or either of their significant others contribute to a meal. The only time my parents pick up the check is my mothers birthday because my father wants to be the male that picks up the check on that occasion. Or, on the many times my sister and I take them to drs appts followed by lunch and they insist on picking up the check as an act of appreciation.

But, the bottom line in this case, if you realize that this is probably a traditionally gender driven thing among the two responsible brothers, all the OP's husband is really being taken advantage for is the one MIL who is not his and the freeloading brother. So one extra meal.

Granted the kids may be a bit uneven due to ages, but that will eventually even out.

All OP has to do is invite her parents and then she will be ahead in the score keeping.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:39 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,078,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
That's what I got out of it too. OP can correct if wrong.

Its not at all unusual imo for adult sons to offer/insist on paying for their parents meal and by extension their parents significant other in lieu of a natural other parent.

Its also not at all unusual for a man to offer/insist on paying for his mother-in-law. My husband would never let my mother or my father or either of their significant others contribute to a meal. The only time my parents pick up the check is my mothers birthday because my father wants to be the male that picks up the check on that occasion. Or, on the many times my sister and I take them to drs appts followed by lunch and they insist on picking up the check as an act of appreciation.

But, the bottom line in this case, if you realize that this is probably a traditionally gender driven thing among the two responsible brothers, all the OP's husband is really being taken advantage for is the one MIL who is not his and the freeloading brother. So one extra meal.

Granted the kids may be a bit uneven due to ages, but that will eventually even out.

All OP has to do is invite her parents and then she will be ahead in the score keeping.
I would always pay or offer to pay for my in-laws, agreed. My wife feels the same. After that...for less-related people...we've had chats about it beforehand, like "should we pick up dinner tonight?"

Old 01-09-2017, 06:53 PM

101 posts, read 116,741 times
S's mother is law is not our mother in law.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:07 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,532,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elysium78 View Post
S's mother is law is not our mother in law.
Who does the boyfriend belong to?

*You are out to dinner a couple of times a year for family celebrations. Out of 10-11 people, there is 1 who is technically not related to you. You are going to divvy up the bill by separating her (BIL's MIL) out? Seems petty to me over the cost of 1 meal. For which you are only paying half anyway.

You've indicated it's not really causing a financial hardship, it just annoys you and you don't care for his family. It is important to your husband however. If I were you, and if I cared about my marriage, I'd let it go.

I agree with Blondy.

Last edited by maciesmom; 01-09-2017 at 07:19 PM..

Old 01-09-2017, 08:17 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,889,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Yeah, especially for the ones who don't pay for the "enjoyable time".
Well, the OP's husband is one of the payers; he seems to be okay with the situation. There are families who are naturally generous and others that feel a need to keep track of everything; time and effort as well as money. It's obvious that the OP is among the latter while her husband is from the former.

Since we have been told so much from the OP's point of view, it may be interesting to hear how the OP's husband relates to his wife's family and what that family's dynamic is.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:28 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,877,142 times
I would suggest telling your husband that you will only go to fast food restaurants with these people. Or even better, sandwiches at home.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:53 PM

101 posts, read 116,741 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I would suggest telling your husband that you will only go to fast food restaurants with these people. Or even better, sandwiches at home.
I agree. Ugh. Well my MIL left. So I wont have to deal with much of this for a while i guess now. It will happen again though. I seem to have a lot of anger towards the situation...I just hate freeloaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships