Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 02:35 PM

614 posts, read 1,237,886 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this has been addressed or not but do you work op or are you a sahm. Just curious.

But I would tread lightly whem expressing your 'hatred' towards his family. That will do nothing but cause problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 02:49 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elysium78 View Post
much of my dealings have just been to avoid these people. I dont even feel like i have much of a relationship with them. I'm not sure if they even notice. i just can no longer take how ungrateful they seem. Just sitting there with them at dinner last night while they all laughed away then watched my DH and S pay the bill just felt awful again.
It is unlikely that anything you do or say will change any of your in-laws.

Resentment over what your husband does will eventually kill your marriage. When you can no longer tolerate unresolved resentment, you will either check out of your marriage or start punishing your husband. He will then likely retaliate in some way. Resentment is the death knell for marriage.

The only person you can change is yourself.

There is no right or wrong on the majority of issues in a marriage. Obviously there are exceptions like abuse, etc.

There are usually only two peoples sometimes differing opinions on how something should be handled.

Whenever you feel yourself clinging to who is right in a marriage, that's the time to remind yourself that its a lot more fun to be happy than to be right.

Try to let go of being right, calm yourself, stop soliciting friends and moms opinions and have a non-judgemental, non blaming conversation with your husband. You guys need to brainstorm all the things that could be done differently that would solve this issue in a way that you can both either positively or enthusiastically embrace.

Before you do that, I would also do some soul searching to make sure you are clear on your real issues.

Sounds like you are very disappointed in your in-laws. You had expectations of them that they aren't living up to. Sucks, but may or may not be changing. Some things you just have to accept or stay away from as much as possible. Alternatively, find a different way to look at it.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:40 PM

101 posts, read 116,149 times
I work full time.

And the reason they stay with S is because S has a big house, redone basement with bathroom, bedroom. Again before we got married the mother in law and boyfriend would stay for a week, sometimes boyfriend didnt even come. Then they retired and it turned into month long visits. Im happy they dont stay with us but im not sure that S and his wife mind? I mean if they did and it's their home they could certainly say, sorry we have things to do 4 weeks is too long, lets do a week or two...and like I said she comes out 2 or 3 times a year. Wasnt something that i ever saw coming. I dont know how S and the wife deal...so they must enjoy it.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:43 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
I work full time.

And the reason they stay with S is because S has a big house, redone basement with bathroom, bedroom. Again before we got married the mother in law and boyfriend would stay for a week, sometimes boyfriend didnt even come. Then they retired and it turned into month long visits. Im happy they dont stay with us but im not sure that S and his wife mind? I mean if they did and it's their home they could certainly say, sorry we have things to do 4 weeks is too long, lets do a week or two...and like I said she comes out 2 or 3 times a year. Wasnt something that i ever saw coming. I dont know how S and the wife deal...so they must enjoy it.
Just so I'm clear...lots of people to keep track of...

The MIL is your husband's brother's MIL? And HER boyfriend?!

Old 01-09-2017, 03:49 PM

4,863 posts, read 2,674,972 times
that was a long opening post..what'd it say in 25 words or less..sorry, my ADD wouldn't let me read it all..lol.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:51 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
[/b]

This speaks volumes. There's an odd, inappropriate, sad dynamic going on. It is perpetrated in daily life and in finances.
It does seem so.

Counseling may be the only answer. Those who are advising the OP to suck it up and deal are, in my view, ignoring the potential for this weird dynamic to be transferred to her family unit. This is a family issue, not hers alone.

How strange would it be years from now if her adult children are tasked with taking care of the unmarried brother "because family members have always done for him"?

Old 01-09-2017, 04:02 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
I work full time.

Honestly, it sounds as if you are a bit jealous of BIL's things and lifestyle, and think because he has more than you do, he should foot the bill for family dinners. He's already hosting MIL for 2-3 months/year as well as still paying for half the dinners out and hosting various events in his home.

In looking at you post history you do seem awfully focused on what others have that you don't and how various things are "unfair" and you are somehow shortchanged.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:54 PM

Well that's not it but nice try. I pointed out how much BIL makes because i think it's an important piece of the story. Otherwise someome was bound to say well maybe BIL doesn't have the money blah blah. He does. I live in boston im surrounded by money...im not jealous of BIL.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:09 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,468 times
One theme I see often lately, is how rather "monied" people seems to really lack appropriate restaurant behavior (and gift-giving, etc...) in regards to money.
Are these people rich because they penny pinch and use others?
A close friend went berserk over .50 on her bill, yet she had millions and never worked but 1/2 day her whole life.
Another friend balances to the PENNY and goes to the bank if he can.t find it.
Not to stray from OP's post.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:29 PM

Yes BIL and SIL are very frugal...well SIL is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships