Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 12:23 PM

102,312 posts, read 108,488,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
My struggle is I'm trying to find something in the Westside or even the South Bay, where it's harder for someone like me to find housing. Anyway, that's not what this thread is about.
Why does he expect you to get things for him, when he has two renters in the actual house he could boss around? I take it you're in an on-going search for better housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 12:37 PM

427 posts, read 502,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
What do you mean "someone like you"? Are you on the sex offender registry or something?

Just rent a motel room.
lol no, I mean someone in my income bracket. I'm not making terrible money (like 40k per year), but I also can't afford my apartment. I pretty much am doomed to live with roommates for the time being, and it's been hard to find anyone willing to put me on the lease when there are other candidates who make more money than I do (and thus have an easier time paying rent).

A motel room would be a lot more than $600 per month, me thinks.

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 06-12-2017 at 12:46 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 12:50 PM

407 posts, read 371,954 times
Well, to answer the specific question in the title of your thread, no. You do not have to be your landlord's friend. Treat him respectfully, even if that means avoiding him at times. But you don't have to be pals.

But, as others have mentioned, I'd get the heck out of there regardless of your relationship with your landlord. It just sounds like an awful living situation all around. I'd hazard a guess that the converted garage that he & some of the other renters are staying in is not legal. And the shed you're renting certainly isn't. Be aware that if he's caught doing this, you'll be out without warning.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
Well, to answer the specific question in the title of your thread, no. You do not have to be your landlord's friend. Treat him respectfully, even if that means avoiding him at times. But you don't have to be pals.

But, as others have mentioned, I'd get the heck out of there regardless of your relationship with your landlord. It just sounds like an awful living situation all around. I'd hazard a guess that the converted garage that he & some of the other renters are staying in is not legal. And the shed you're renting certainly isn't. Be aware that if he's caught doing this, you'll be out without warning.
Not to mention tax evasion (he only accepts cash as payment)

Treating him respectfully is hard. I am very sick of him and his ****hole. I am not outright disrespectful (I don't want to be evicted), but I always have my headphones on when I enter his quarters to use the bathroom. I just don't want to talk to him. Even saying hi is enough to get dragged into an unwanted and unwelcome conversation... this whole situation makes me very anxious.

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 06-12-2017 at 01:21 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 01:49 PM

407 posts, read 371,954 times
Quote:
Not to mention tax evasion (he only accepts cash as payment)

Treating him respectfully is hard. I am very sick of him and his ****hole. I am not outright disrespectful (I don't want to be evicted), but I always have my headphones on when I enter his quarters to use the bathroom. I just don't want to talk to him. Even saying hi is enough to get dragged into an unwanted and unwelcome conversation... this whole situation makes me very anxious.
I don't blame you, it just sounds miserable. Hopefully you can find another situation soon. Sounds like almost anything would be better than where you are now.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:12 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,691,465 times
There are so many issues going on in this situation, I think the grumpy landlord is just the tip of the iceberg. No one who has options would elect to live like you are doing now. Don't blame your landlord for not being an all-around nice guy, good conversationalist and good housekeeper -- YOU are the one living in the shack, not him.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:15 PM

11,581 posts, read 6,776,574 times
Quote:
Honestly I tolerate it because it's close to work. The rental market is so compettive here that I'm struggling to find anything better, though I could definitely afford it.
I find that hard to believe! Have a realtor find you a rental! It's easier to have a realtor find you a rental than to find one yourself as they get info on rentals quicker.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I find that hard to believe! Have a realtor find you a rental! It's easier to have a realtor find you a rental than to find one yourself as they get info on rentals quicker.
All I can afford to rent right now is a room... not an apartment. It's not easy to convince strangers from Craiglist to let you live with them, even if you have money and a stable job to afford it.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:58 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,234,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
What the hell??? Then get out of there.

I would rather live in my vehicle than living in that place. Gross.
Truly sounds to me like a better choice.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:28 AM

102,312 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
The OP is in the highest-rent market in the US; he's in the Bay Area. He can't afford even a studio on $40K/year, even in the relatively cheaper communities. People like him, just starting out, are living in their cars, while going to work for the tech companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships