Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 06:05 PM

427 posts, read 500,669 times

Advertisements

I think I should just tell my landlord I want to be left alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 06:11 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I think I should just tell my landlord I want to be left alone.
I suspect that by summoning you from time to time, he thinks he has leverage over you, because of the tight rental market. What he doesn't realize, is that you have leverage over him (check mate!), because you could report his illegal units and tax evasion.

This could get messy. I think you should keep looking for rooms to rent. I know it's tough to find a space, as some households want someone they consider a good fit. But this situation (and that photo you posted) is creepy, and too potentially full of quicksand.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I suspect that by summoning you from time to time, he thinks he has leverage over you, because of the tight rental market. What he doesn't realize, is that you have leverage over him (check mate!), because you could report his illegal units and tax evasion.

This could get messy. I think you should keep looking for rooms to rent. I know it's tough to find a space, as some households want someone they consider a good fit. But this situation (and that photo you posted) is creepy, and too potentially full of quicksand.
He DOES think that. I remember him commenting from time to time that "housing is a commodity in LA" and people are "desperate for a place." I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks he can use me.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:58 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,639,245 times
MOVE! Find another roommate situation. Or start earning enough money where you can afford a place on your own. Otherwise, suck it up buttercup.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
MOVE! Find another roommate situation. Or start earning enough money where you can afford a place on your own. Otherwise, suck it up buttercup.
It takes time to move. What do you I should just do right now to deal with this day-to-day?

Old 06-13-2017, 07:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,656,797 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm in the Palms - Culver City area.

He inherited the house from his father and rents it out. He lives in the detached converted garage in the back and has for nearly his entire adult life. He supplements the rent from the house, the spare bedrooms in the converted garage (he lives in the living room) with income from renting out shabbily constructed shacks near the garage.

He's basically a slumlord.
I figured it was that area.

Don't know what you're paying, but you said you make $40K. You could do a two bed/two bath, probably pay around $800 to a $1,000 for rent. If you don't have a lot of outstanding debt you should be able to swing that.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I figured it was that area.

Don't know what you're paying, but you said you make $40K. You could do a two bed/two bath, probably pay around $800 to a $1,000 for rent. If you don't have a lot of outstanding debt you should be able to swing that.
I don't know where I'm going to find one for that price. They seem to go for like $1300 minimum.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:27 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,339,792 times
Bed-ridden... then he is not dangerous. Just kidding.
Next time he asks you to do chores for him again, remind him with a huge grin that he still owes you $100 bucks for cleaning his attic.

Rooming with international students may be more economical.
"@San Gabriel - wanted a clean and neat individual ...
a furnished clean room & environment for above $400 but below $500 (negotiable), water/elec internet included ...
close to Valley (rd/ave near fwy 10), 3 mins drive to groceries, 5 mins drive to San Grabriel hospital, 3 mins walk to bus-stop, within walking distance to foodies & shops, ...
Email: sky_k1
00@yahoo(dot)com"

@Rosemead - room for rent $360/month, with separate entrance, water/elec, internet included ..
female tenant preferred, non-drinker, non-smoker, no pet ..
near bus-stop, groceries, fwy 10 & 60
320 2568

@Rowland Heights, near COLIMA & NOGALES, walking distance to shops & banks and library
clean furnished room $480/month, non-smoker, non-drinker, no pet
347-1021

Old 06-13-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Bed-ridden... then he is not dangerous. Just kidding.
Next time he asks you to do chores for him again, remind him with a huge grin that he still owes you $100 bucks for cleaning his attic.

Rooming with international students may be more economical.
"@San Gabriel - wanted a clean and neat individual ...
a furnished clean room & environment for above $400 but below $500 (negotiable), water/elec internet included ...
close to Valley (rd/ave near fwy 10), 3 mins drive to groceries, 5 mins drive to San Grabriel hospital, 3 mins walk to bus-stop, within walking distance to foodies & shops, ...
Email: sky_k1
00@yahoo(dot)com"

@Rosemead - room for rent $360/month, with separate entrance, water/elec, internet included ..
female tenant preferred, non-drinker, non-smoker, no pet ..
near bus-stop, groceries, fwy 10 & 60
320 2568

@Rowland Heights, near COLIMA & NOGALES, walking distance to shops & banks and library
clean furnished room $480/month, non-smoker, non-drinker, no pet
347-1021
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the geography of LA County, but all those places would be 2-3 hours from work at rush hour. Thanks though

Old 06-13-2017, 08:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,656,797 times
Quote:
I don't know where I'm going to find one for that price. They seem to go for like $1300 minimum.
Not if you're doing a roommate situation. You should be able to find someone who needs a roommate, you're employed with a good job, so that's your "in".

Take a look on Craigslist. I took a quick look for you, there was one in Westwood for under $900 for a roommate situation.

Last edited by seain dublin; 06-13-2017 at 08:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships