Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 06:08 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I moved in April. I was told I had to start a job out of state in two weeks. I was still able to obtain and iron appropriate attire while living in a hotel for a week as I looked for a more permanent housing situation. I used the hotel iron. From your posts, you make it sound like you moved last week. You did not. It is not that expensive to go to a thrift store, Old Navy, Target, or Walmart to buy something presentable.

My sister's WHOLE house burned to the ground one week before she started a new job, AND she had to fly to multiple locations across the country.

Somehow she made work, and without breaking a sweat.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-21-2017, 06:12 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
Walk into an Old Navy. Buy three things in this vein:

Oldnavy.com | Old Navy
Oldnavy.com | Old Navy
Oldnavy.com | Old Navy

Voila. Instant acceptable outfit. Comfortable, doesn't wrinkle, can stand being thrown into a duffel bag and unpacked at the last minute. Hairstyling, makeup and jewelry can be used to dress it up if any of those are your metier.

You are overthinking this.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I'm laughing! I was going to comment that I am that person, and then I read that you are too.

I keep dark, unripped jeans as my dressy clothes. I have a couple of long and short sleeve plain cheap tops.

Last summer I bought a dress from Title 9 that I think is still in the bag! I'm pretty sure I tried it on. I figured I could wear it with a sweater in the winter but now I'm wondering it's too short for boots.

Well, I still have my dark jeans

Personally I wouldn't worry about it!

It's not just a skirt, it's shoes too. I have Tevas or Keens I can wear in the summer with a skirt but I'm not sure about winter shoes.

My normal shoe attire is sneakers, hiking boots or bike shoes. Or horseback riding boots which I wear often as "dressy" shoes.

Not every one spends money on clothes that will just sit in their closet.

Last funeral service I went to - September - dark jeans, Keen clogs and and gauze type of top. Formal Catholic service.
Yes, good point about the shoes. Athletic shoes and skirts have been a thing lately. Riding boots might work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Belly-Dance-T.../dp/B00BLPULXY

Your second post addresses, in part, what I am talking about.

We assume that everyone operates in the same world that we do. Everyone knows where to shop, where to find things to answer the questions and tasks that are posed to us. Everyone knows how to do it efficiently so to use the least time.

Okay, it is about to be Tuesday on TG week; how much time does one have to go shopping, whether they know how to do it or not for the item in question at the store in question, in face of everything else they have to do this week?

Further, of course, there is that next issue of.......one does not just buy a skirt and put it on. Top, boots, belt, etc are also to be addressed.
I'm no fashionista, but I have stuff on hand to wear if I need to.

Quote:
Well, it might be a workable solution......or it might not for it involves at least three items.

First of all, there is still that question of what type of luggage does it require for air travel. We are talking about someone, me, who really does not fly commercial, really does not have the "common" luggage to fly commercial. I have flown more general aviation than commercial and that can be a different king of luggage. In a flight suit, you don't worry about being wrinkled and your clothes stuffed into a duffle stuffed in the cargo compartment aren't a thought at all.

Secondly, it is the winter season. I was up in Dallas this past weekend and laughing quietly to those saying they didn't bring enough for this weather.......and I had my field jacket and the like, stuff I carry as standard in the car. This trip will be about the same but further north, so it is field jacket, commando sweater, heavy gloves with me....and probably leg warmers, too! I don't know how the above would go with that but once again, it does illustrate the point of the practical and not "flashy" sibling.

Third, I'm not sure about dressing for a requirement vs dressing for what is comfortable to me, especially considering other costly features of this trip. Things like round trip air travel of ~$700 I've accepted as necessary. The brother setting me up in a hotel room for about $150/night, I've accepted....with something of a gasp. Having to dash out and spend more money on limited time,.........okay, now I am really questioning about do we really assume everyone is like "us"?

The outfit above may be workable, may even be inexpensive but it is also one time and I am wondering who is it for, me or just for the pleasure of others? At the very least, if I am going to dress for the pleasure of others, I would like to feel nice in it.

I don't work in that kind of environment, fortunately, so it has never been an issue. For one thing, being a grave yard shift worker, even if it did come up, it would be rather impossible. I suppose being an eternal graveyard shift worker for over a quarter of a century probably factors into the situation at hand as well.

As far as the funeral, see somewhere above.

Well, once again, we get back to the same situation of having lived a life that is so different from the rest of the world (when you are a grave yard shift worker, you really are in a life day people do not understand) that what other people take for granted doesn't necessarily exist.

There two angles here. Assuming that I did have something in my closet that made the move that would still fit me and then, there is the sudden changing of flight requirements, from going from wrinkle traveling (which I have the luggage for) to requiring, perhaps unintentionally, dress clothes luggage which I don't have, which would take considerable time to obtain the proper configuration.......and I don't even know the cost of that stuff.

Finally, as I have said, I have not flown in 16 years. I have not been out of Texas in 16 years. If we call Austin the center, then I have been as far north as DFW, as far NE as Huntsville, as far E as Houston, as far SE as Corpus, as far S as southern San Antonio, as far SW as probably the Tower of the Americas, as far W as Fredricksburg, and as far NW as Killeen. That is the extent of my travel for 16 years.

At the very least, we are talking about a situation that has not changed for 13 (last formal) to 16 (travel) years. Then try to compare that to people in a world who are not like that.
You can carry on a backpack, or check a duffle bag. It really doesn't matter.

How you dress for work is only one factor. What do you do outside of work? Most people have places to go that might warrant a nicer outfit occasionally. My work clothes are just for work. I still own "nice" jeans, dress pants, and skirts for other stuff. I bought a "travel dress" at a consignment store a few years ago. It throws in a bag and comes out unwrinkled. I've worn it to multiple funerals.

I'm guessing that, knowing your usual casualness, your brother meant "formal for you" not "formal." Maybe non-ripped jeans and a black shirt would be fine. If it were me or my family, I'd ask my mom and sister what they were wearing.

Wear whatever you are comfortable in. If you will be comfortable in jeans and sneakers, while everyone else is in skirts, then wear jeans and sneakers. A family dinner shouldn't require shopping.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
The OP who posed the question has a job, is not looking for a new job right now, and wears what he calls business casual to that job.

The OP did not say he wears sweats, so you're exaggerating.

Although, I don't agree with him that jeans are considered 'business casual' in many workplaces - he says he wears jeans and a tactical shirt - I have NO idea what a tactical shirt is - is it a company shirt with logo on it? Or a shirt with special pockets for the particular tools or instruments used in tasks?

Business casual in many places consists of khakis or cotton pants in other colors such as navy or slacks, sometimes jeans are not allowed.

The OP is a woman.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I enjoy seeing men dressed in hip stylish clothes. (I'd need to post pics)

But plenty of people never go to the above: funerals/wakes/memorial services, nice restaurants, weddings.

Not everyone believes in societal rituals and rarely, if ever, attend them. Not everyone is interested in "nice restaurants."

You seem to think everyone lives a very similar life and that everyone lives a conventional life. There are actually many different types of lives being lived!

I do agree though that it's a rigid mindset to have only jeans and tee-shirts.
No, it’s not about lifestyle I just doubt there is never an occasion someone doesn’t need nicer clothes. Like black pants and a blouse and blazer or a button down, or nice dress. My examples were just examples. There are many different types of places you may need or want to wear clothes like this.

You can buy these types of clothes for cheap at many stores. It requires almost zero extra effort to put on nicer clothes. I’m not talking an evening gown and tux here, not formal wear. Business or business casual type of clothes. Or even jeans and a nice top.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Is the formal dinner Thanksgiving Day, or later, say Sat or Sun? If later, I would just decline and say you can only get a flight out the day before the formal affair. Personally, I never heard of a "last night" dinner for Thanksgiving, I thought the whole purpose of Thanksgiving was eating on Thanksgiving Day, then leftovers the rest of the weekend.

Is this "last dinner" being held in someone's home, or in a restaurant? If in a restaurant, you might want to check their dress code. You don't want to be turned away at the door!

Turns out formal may be pizza.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
One item I will note is that I don't wear synthetics either in office buildings nor on aircraft. It is the concern about fire and such melting.

Now, in this particular case, I'm not flying in synthetics but cottons, wool, and leather. Any synthetics I would have, minus the field jacket, would be in, probably, checked baggage. The field jacket will be with me flying but it is easily jettisonable, as it goes.
You're overthinking.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Not sure how this is going.

First of all, I have tried to answer the questions of others as they came up.

Secondly, I have been trying to point out that telling someone to add another thing to their schedule that is at least a few hours long on the shortest week of the year is probably not that considerate. Had he told me earlier, state of body flux aside, it might have been more possible.

He however, did not but told me this week, last night, when I am trying to get a house, that is still being unpacked by the way, ready so I can go, prep pets, recharge myself, prep myself for the flight, and whatever else.

From my viewpoint, it comes down to the assumption of "Everyone is like me. I have no trouble being like me; others should have no problem as well.".

After Christmas, after the New Year, when things have stabilized, when money isn't being spent like it is now, sure, I'll address the casual formal side of me. It will have to include the body flux, though. I mean, after all, if I'm going to end up with a dynamite body, I want clothes to kill.

It's just that right now, between flux and money, an answer of "go out and buy it" really isn't that easy.

So I guess an answer to my own title is to deal with them when it is not the holiday season.
I don't expect "everyone to be like me." I do think adults should have clothing for multiple occasions. Not a lot of it, but 1 outfit that is nicer than jeans. That's not a high expectation.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:02 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,335,299 times
Is there some reason why you can't buy a suitcase and iron your clothes after you arrive? Is it too much to ask that you wear a nice top with your jeans/pants?

Old 11-21-2017, 07:04 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,335,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Ah OP, I have 2 sons like you, right down to the traveling with nothing more than backpacks. One son went to a wedding this weekend wearing jeans and a(likely unironed) button down sport shirt, while his gf looked lovely in her dress and heels. I don't let it bother me, he's 26, and I gave up dressing him years ago.

I do think every adult man should have at least a sport coat, if not a suit. A white dress shirt and a pair of decent slacks. My sons have all of them, but they must be saving them for a special occasion yet to be announced. Goodwill shopping is fine btw, no reason to spend a bundle on clothing you rarely are called upon to use.
Isn't it rather disrespectful to wear jeans and unironed shirt to a wedding? Was he wearing flip/flops too? Why is he such a rebel without a clue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships