Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2017, 06:54 AM

4,186 posts, read 2,598,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
First of all, my immediate family only has backpacks or bags for luggage... Who gives a crap what kind of luggage you have...

Second, I have NEVER in my 60 years of life EVER had to attend a family gathering where we had to wear formal type clothes....

Third, the yahoos on here who have a hard time believing an adult has no "formal or decent" clothes need to get a life.. Not everyone goes to formal or even dressy events... My wife and I certainly do not.... NO, we do NOT go to the symphony, NO, I have NEVER had a job where a "client" or my Boss asked me to dinner, And I have been to funerals in jeans and a decent shirt... The deceased do not care and as for the family members who are butts about the clothes they should be thankful a person even makes an appearance....

This is just me, but I would tell them if the luggage and clothes mean so much to you, I can either skip the Holidays or you can buy me something you like instead.....
Lol, Love this post ^^^, and any others from folks that habitually dress comfortably. I am just the same as you, and the OP. Screw the relatives, just be yourself. If they don't like it, too bad. This whole overpriced, overdressed extravaganza is making you a nervous wreck. I like the advice above, either skip it entirely, especially with all the expense, or tell them if they don't like what you brought to buy you what they want you to wear. Then when you leave you can just cram the junk into your backpack, lol. If it were me I'd blow it off, and breath a sigh of relief. Then plan for a future get together where you can figure out what to wear, and research flying ahead of time. Or take a road trip in better weather. Then you could just do your regular thing, and have comfy clothes that fit by that time.

Now the OP lives on a ranch 30 mins from any stores. She can't just run over to a store quick like a bunny to get something. If she is like me those kinds of stores are confusing as hell. Rows, and rows of clothes that all look the same. And while I love thrift stores, you have to look through all kinds of crap before you get to anything that might work. And half the time it's not your size. And most of the shoes in thrift stores are absolute monstrosities . Seriously, you understand right away why they were tossed out, lol. Putting together an outfit for some of us is more stressful than fun.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:57 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,733,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Go through security with its batteries? Like most DSLRs, they are different than those batteries bought off the kiosk in the grocery store. Li Ion and I'm confused to whether it is or is not okay as it reads on the airline website.

As far as why on "such a short trip".....well, some of us consider a smart phone a back up for photography, not the primary.
Yes. People bring items with lithium batteries trough security all the time. What do you think runs cell phones, laptops, tablets, and other rechargeable items?

Old 11-22-2017, 07:12 AM

407 posts, read 371,921 times
Quote:
Go through security with its batteries? Like most DSLRs, they are different than those batteries bought off the kiosk in the grocery store. Li Ion and I'm confused to whether it is or is not okay as it reads on the airline website.

As far as why on "such a short trip".....well, some of us consider a smart phone a back up for photography, not the primary.
Yes, it can go through with the lithium batteries. And, yes, I'm also aware that these aren't the Duracell type batteries you buy at the grocery store.

As for the short trip comment, my question was why you need the accessories, not the camera itself.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:14 AM

981 posts, read 904,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
I didn't know either so I googled it. They appear to be long sleeved camp shirts and short sleeved math teacher shirts. It looks like the tactic they are good for is covering one's torso. I prefer an oxford shirt or a flannel. Different strokes?

http://www.511tactical.com/mens/mens...cons/icon4.gif
Thank you for answering this without any snark , I should have done a search myself but I was just tired.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:21 AM

88,872 posts, read 85,336,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Lol, Love this post ^^^, and any others from folks that habitually dress comfortably. I am just the same as you, and the OP. Screw the relatives, just be yourself. If they don't like it, too bad. This whole overpriced, overdressed extravaganza is making you a nervous wreck. I like the advice above, either skip it entirely, especially with all the expense, or tell them if they don't like what you brought to buy you what they want you to wear. Then when you leave you can just cram the junk into your backpack, lol. If it were me I'd blow it off, and breath a sigh of relief. Then plan for a future get together where you can figure out what to wear, and research flying ahead of time. Or take a road trip in better weather. Then you could just do your regular thing, and have comfy clothes that fit by that time.

Now the OP lives on a ranch 30 mins from any stores. She can't just run over to a store quick like a bunny to get something. If she is like me those kinds of stores are confusing as hell. Rows, and rows of clothes that all look the same. And while I love thrift stores, you have to look through all kinds of crap before you get to anything that might work. And half the time it's not your size. And most of the shoes in thrift stores are absolute monstrosities . Seriously, you understand right away why they were tossed out, lol. Putting together an outfit for some of us is more stressful than fun.
Ok, but if the OP lives a life in a place where there is no easy shopping and does not have occasion to wear dressup clothes so doesn't keep them on hand...doesn't her sibling know this? Why wasn't the response to the sibling, "Hey, how formal are we talking because I just lost this weight and don't have time to buy something new." Isn't it likely that if she just said that, the sibling would have said, "don't worry about it--come with what you have or borrow something from someone else in the family when you get here"?

It sounds as if the OP is relishing the thought that she is somehow different and unique and that's the dynamic she has manufactured as her identity in her family system.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:33 AM

23,651 posts, read 14,134,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
Yes, it can go through with the lithium batteries. And, yes, I'm also aware that these aren't the Duracell type batteries you buy at the grocery store.
Thank you.

Quote:
As for the short trip comment, my question was why you need the accessories, not the camera itself.
The standard load out for my DSLR is the telephoto and the mega flash. That is how I've shot for over a decade. When it comes to photography, I am rather "Paparazzi".

So really, the short range lens is the accessory. As far as other accessories go, I think I'll leave the card reader, the battery charger, and the USB cable at home. Three batteries ought to cover me for a short trip (will I have to have one of those batteries in checked luggage?) and if someone wants shots off the camera, they can supply their own USB cable or card reader. As far as cards go, yes, I carry spares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ok, but if the OP lives a life in a place where there is no easy shopping and does not have occasion to wear dressup clothes so doesn't keep them on hand...doesn't her sibling know this?
Well, you've rather hit on the underlying theme of the entire thread. Where a sibling expects others lives to be just like theirs. It rather reminds me of one holiday gathering during Christmas when I called home on a pay phone while shopping to check in and he told me, "You have to come home to get your cats into their room!".
They were trying to chase my feline duo into their room and, of course, with cats that really doesn't work.

Quote:
Why wasn't the response to the sibling, "Hey, how formal are we talking because I just lost this weight and don't have time to buy something new."
I did.

Quote:
Isn't it likely that if she just said that, the sibling would have said, "don't worry about it--come with what you have or borrow something from someone else in the family when you get here"?
He didn't.

Quote:
It sounds as if the OP is relishing the thought that she is somehow different and unique and that's the dynamic she has manufactured as her identity in her family system.
Well, don't we all in one way or another establish our own identity?

Old 11-22-2017, 08:07 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,468,594 times
Quote:

Shall I count the ways? Or shall we just cut to the chase. Long story short, I have to budget the funds I have for the life I lead.

I would love to get another VHS/DVD deck especially since they aren't making them anymore, they are in the overstock market now, and the price is just going to keep going up. Spending $525 (the last time I checked) just really isn't wise right now. It may be possible but it just really isn't wise right now.

It's called budgeting and there is a time and place for most things.
It's all in the choices...I just went out to Amazon and they have many used ones from $50-$150...this is apparently another case where you must have new rather than going to Goodwill, for example, for clothing. Even if the first two VHS/DVD players you buy are duds you'd still come out ahead. But you have to be flexible and from your comments here you are very set in your ways and not open to other possibilities.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:13 AM

23,651 posts, read 14,134,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It's all in the choices...I just went out to Amazon and they have many used ones from $50-$150...this is apparently another case where you must have new rather than going to Goodwill, for example, for clothing. Even if the first two VHS/DVD players you buy are duds you'd still come out ahead. But you have to be flexible and from your comments here you are very set in your ways and not open to other possibilities.
What can I say? I have 4 other Toshiba's and I know they are excellent units!

So perhaps that does say something about me in that I am more set in my ways in going with what I know will work and less likely to go out and experiment with what I know little about....especially when time is short.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:44 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,768,103 times
Quote:

I am getting the impression that others are not grasping the world of the apartments and this really isn't the thread to try to explain it. I will try in BRIEF but I'm afraid that won't do it "justice". A: I lived in the apartments for 25 years. B: Especially after Dad died, I BEGGED for time after each semester to catch up on things but was always told by Mom, "You can always do that later," and to come visit her. C: So it got to a cycle of never being able to catch up, returning from trips to home on a turn around schedule of home, drop things off, take off for work being sleep deprived due to day people believing you can always just take a nap for your night work. D: Hence, I would spend M, T, even W doing work and catching sleep where I could...and this was the pattern for years. E: The buffer system eventually collapsed and then, things just stacked up everywhere. F: When I was told I had to move in 11 weeks, it was not only that but also a state of denial of disassembling where I had lived for 25 years. G: Two moves later, it is an active life of working, dancing, diving, traveling, etc while still unpacking a boxed up life of 25 years. H: The End.

As I said, this is really not the thread to cover it.

Now, as I've said in this thread, it isn't just a quick trip to Target, which, by the way, is about 40 minutes away. It might be if this was a normal week but this is the shortest week of the year. There just isn't time to go clothes shopping with all the other things that have to be done this week in preparation for the trip. Further, this trip is the last of a very busy 7 weeks that have included 3 times of camping, 1 time of being sick (otherwise, it would have been 4 times camping), 1 time of scuba diving, and 1 time of driving to Dallas and back. So for all the suggestions of Goodwill, Thrift Stores, Target, and whatever, those options really don't exist during the week of, this week of Thanksgiving.

However, there is a point I find to all those suggestions. I asked of what does one do with the wrinkled sibling and seeing how that is the common answer, at least I've learned how one side thinks, approaches the problem. Now that I know that they see time (and perhaps money as well) as an endless asset, I will know to be wary of it.

Because spending money under $100, the further the better, is okay to me.
You had the time and money to buy an inexpensive decent outfit for your trip, but decided not to. That's completely your business.

I have a friend like you in real life. She'll post questions on social media about how to handle something and then shoot down all suggestions, often citing lack of time and money as a reason. But she has plenty of time and money to do things she wants to do. She also overthinks things and is a hoarder.

Tamara, I hope you have an uneventful flight and a nice Thanksgiving with your family.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:49 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,768,103 times
Quote:
Hmmmmmm.

Shall I count the ways? Or shall we just cut to the chase. Long story short, I have to budget the funds I have for the life I lead.

I would love to get another VHS/DVD deck especially since they aren't making them anymore, they are in the overstock market now, and the price is just going to keep going up. Spending $525 (the last time I checked) just really isn't wise right now. It may be possible but it just really isn't wise right now.

It's called budgeting and there is a time and place for most things.

EDIT: Just for info sake, with a camping infrastructure already in place, camping can be quite cheap. One place cost me about $11 to get in, another $45 to spend the weekend. That's not the whole cost and it varied over weekends and about purposes.....but don't make it sound like a jet set to a resort.
We all have to budget the funds for the lives we lead. What does that have to do with anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships