Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2017, 07:14 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,983,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Ie, the one that doesn't have any formal clothes, who barely hangs things up when they come out of the dryer, who is just as happy as pulling clean clothes out of a laundry bag and wearing that? Whose travel luggage consists of back packs?

Here's the catch......I'm that sibling.

Thanksgiving is the home coming and I was just informed "Oh, you might want something formal for the last night's dinner".

Between not being in that life style, having lost a lot of weight, still unpacking from the move (where a lot was lost in OPERATION: WHIRLWIND), and preparing to fly for the first time since before 9/11, they just asked the impossible on very short notice.

My highest standard is business casual and around my business, we are very casual. I'm probably the better dressed, of technical staff, with jeans and a tactical shirt, but that's it.

Am I being unreasonable? I probably would think so if I was looking in from the outside, "normal" world. On the other hand, though, being in a life that has been in years of upheaval, having a formal wardrobe hasn't been a high priority especially when there hasn't been a need.

To say little about flying again and having no luggage beyond back packs.

So am I being unreasonable? Should "we" automatically think that others dress to the same standards as us?

And if that sibling is the one we would have bed down on the roll out bed in the utility room with the dogs, should we be surprised when we find out they are so primitive?
I don't have a dress code for people who come over for holidays. I couldn't care less what anybody wears.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:02 PM

981 posts, read 904,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
I read all 19 pages of this...why did I do this to myself?
OP, you just like to make excuses. That's it. If you have prime, you could have primed some clothes. You are just mad your brother told you to dress like an adult.
Most of my husband's family is like you OP but even they know when to dress up and if someone told them to dress up, you bet they'd at least a simple black dress in the back of their closet they could wear. You just like to make excuses. Just admit it.
Still trying to figure out how $525 Toshiba VHS units got introduced to this thread, but I just can’t deal with the thought of reading through all 19 pages, and yet I am still here. Annoying yet bizarrely fascinating at the same time, if for the randomness if nothing else. And still trying to figure out how someone that has / is doing somewhat challenging adventurous jobs as the OP has cannot figure out how to get through airport security.

Last edited by klaucka; 11-22-2017 at 08:11 PM..

Old 11-22-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
You can get a sweater tunic and black straight legged or skinny leggings at WalMart for about $30...you can smush that stuff up all you want in a duffel bag

why is this 20+ pages long lol
You need to abandon ALL logic and reason to enter this post

Old 11-22-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
NO, you cannot.

For what use do you need your Leatherman? The things people bring with them
I know this is probably mean but I just can’t help myself. She will probably bring her favorite pillow and the Leatherman.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:25 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,075,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Just tax the stupid people
You might want to think twice about that.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:59 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,042,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Because people are stunned by the inability or unwillingness of the OP to solve a simple problem.
You're assuming the problem is one of clothing.

We have 20-some pages that proves it isn't.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:00 PM

22,703 posts, read 19,375,059 times
are you a guy? how about a long sleeved shirt that buttons, and a tie? That is small and easily packed, pick up a nice dress shirt at good will for under $10, and a tie for probably $4. Pair that with a clean pair of jeans and that looks nice.

if you are a gal, then at good will get a simple dress and pullover top. About $15 for both pieces. The best part of getting clothes at Good will (other than cheap and easy to find something) is they are already pre-washed and you can get something that isn't going to wrinkle. I haven't used an iron in over 40 years, and all my nice dresses come from Good will and i get compliments on them all the time at work. So you can fold them flat and easy (I never travel with hangers, just fold and put in a duffle) and they don't take up much room and will look fine at your destination.

good will is your best friend

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-22-2017 at 09:12 PM..

Old 11-22-2017, 10:09 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,972,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You're assuming the problem is one of clothing.

We have 20-some pages that proves it isn't.
This^^. Nothing at all against the lovely OP, but some posts do tend to send you down a rabbit hole of sorts. Don’t think I can or want to read all 20 pages.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,253,749 times
For a 2 night trip, checking a bag is ridiculous. You won't need a gun or a leatherman.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:49 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,716,354 times
Your brother is trying to tell you that you dress like a slob and it embarrasses him.

It's that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships