Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 07:36 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,076,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I have to also question the interpretation of "formal". I have trouble imagining that she is expected to whip out a cocktail dress.
Agree 100%, sounds just like a 'dinner out' at the end of the weekend at a half decent place. I suspect the use of the word 'formal' was the OP's interpretation.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:42 PM

51,189 posts, read 36,886,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I have to also question the interpretation of "formal". I have trouble imagining that she is expected to whip out a cocktail dress.
Why? Homecoming activities are like proms. I don’t know exactly the lineup of events but they specified that the “”last dinner” was a formal occasion so she might want to bring formal wear. Again to me they are just letting her know not telling her what she must wear.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:49 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,048,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
All the people on here saying the OP is asking advice but NOT taking it, or asking why they do not stand up to the relatives or say anything about the clothes.. AND berating the OP about how easy it is to buy an outfit or WHY do you NOT already own one is being a (NOT for lack of a better word) busybody.... NOT your business why or why not they do or do not have certain clothes and whether it is easy or hard for them to get them (unless you are buying the clothes for them)....

Maybe she is looking at the advice and re considering the trip.. Also maybe the OP can't stand up for herself (a lot of people cannot do that).. Or she cares what these people think.. I obviously am not one of those people.. I can stand up for myself very well (in fact to the point I haven't seen or talked to people in years) and I could give a crap less what people think of me and I do not even think of them....

Not everyone in the world thinks or acts or lives like you.. And some people cannot even fathom why that is so... So if they ask advice, give it and move on.. It is then their problem whether they take the advice or not...
Sorry but there is no excuse to not own “nice” clothes. No one’s talking formal wear, just black pants and a blouse at the least. A pair of flats, or loafers or even something like boat shoes, for either sex. Whether you have many or any opportunities to use them is one thing, but to not have them is impractical. You can buy an outfit like I described for cheap at Marshalls. No excuse. It doesn’t cost a lot of money and they aren’t a hassle to own. OP and people like her are just being difficult.

This isn’t about lifestyle. It’s about practicability and having a versatile wardrobe like any decent adult. One outfit is all. It’s not hard. It’s not a chore. It’s not even expensive.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:51 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,298,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why? Homecoming activities are like proms. I don’t know exactly the lineup of events but they specified that the “”last dinner” was a formal occasion so she might want to bring formal wear. Again to me they are just letting her know not telling her what she must wear.
So you think the OP's family is going to a prom or HS home coming dance?

Old 11-23-2017, 07:58 PM

48,625 posts, read 35,086,908 times
As the OP is dating online, what would she wear to a date? Jeans and a tactical shirt? Belly dancing get up? How can this be complicated?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-23-2017, 08:01 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,208,354 times
When OP mentioned a "home coming," I believe she was referring to a personal, family event.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:42 PM

16,441 posts, read 12,604,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t think we’re talking about high school homecoming. Just a “coming home” of family. I don’t think “formal wear” (ie gowns and tuxes) was ever specified.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:41 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,208,354 times
He seems nice.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:58 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,171,078 times
Is this the brother who turned around and walked out of your house that time when he came to visit because it smelled like cat?

Old 11-23-2017, 11:37 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,295,315 times
@rep: Post # 41.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships