Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2017, 08:51 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,076,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
We all have to budget the funds for the lives we lead. What does that have to do with anything?
Buying $75 of half-decent clothes interferes with her life as a spy-diver-dancer.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:53 AM

23,651 posts, read 14,131,214 times
Quote:
You had the time and money to buy an inexpensive decent outfit for your trip, but decided not to. That's completely your business.

I have a friend like you in real life. She'll post questions on social media about how to handle something and then shoot down all suggestions, often citing lack of time and money as a reason. But she has plenty of time and money to do things she wants to do. She also overthinks things and is a hoarder.

Tamara, I hope you have an uneventful flight and a nice Thanksgiving with your family.
Do keep in mind that the notification came this last Monday, not weeks ago.

As far as money on those trips go, well, I have my commitments and have to budget accordingly.

Thank you.

Quote:
We all have to budget the funds for the lives we lead. What does that have to do with anything?
EXACTLY!

My life involves being a professional diver and a desired amateur photographer. It involves camping out on site. It involves so many things but one thing it doesn't involve is having a nice set of clothes ready to go at a moment's notice.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-22-2017 at 09:04 AM..

Old 11-22-2017, 08:55 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,766,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

As far as money on those trips go, well, I have my commitments and have to budget accordingly.

Thank you.
Just like every other person on the planet.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:57 AM

3,827 posts, read 8,772,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
It is really too much to ask that adult guests dress appropriately for dinner? This country is the biggest bunch of slobs in the world because, "I want to be comfortable". Do yourself and your family a favor. Stay home.
I'm still puzzling over why people can't even iron.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:05 AM

88,864 posts, read 85,323,488 times
Quote:
Thank you.

The standard load out for my DSLR is the telephoto and the mega flash. That is how I've shot for over a decade. When it comes to photography, I am rather "Paparazzi".

So really, the short range lens is the accessory. As far as other accessories go, I think I'll leave the card reader, the battery charger, and the USB cable at home. Three batteries ought to cover me for a short trip (will I have to have one of those batteries in checked luggage?) and if someone wants shots off the camera, they can supply their own USB cable or card reader. As far as cards go, yes, I carry spares.

Well, you've rather hit on the underlying theme of the entire thread. Where a sibling expects others lives to be just like theirs. It rather reminds me of one holiday gathering during Christmas when I called home on a pay phone while shopping to check in and he told me, "You have to come home to get your cats into their room!".
They were trying to chase my feline duo into their room and, of course, with cats that really doesn't work.

I did.

He didn't.

Well, don't we all in one way or another establish our own identity?
OK, for some reason I thought this sibling was a sister, which changes things a little bit re clothing. And I am one of seven sibs, six still living, so I know how sibling relationships can work--or not (And, I might add, I am spending MY Thanksgiving in a different COUNTRY and not at my sister's for a reason, lol.)

Re the identity, though, I was referring to what they call systems theory in psychology. Sometimes in our families, we play a role that is expected of us and everyone in the family system has their role that works with the roles of the others. If one family member stops playing their role and begins to act differently, it throws everyone else off, and they will try desperately to get the offending member to get back in their place.

I don't know you, so I can be way off (and not a psychologist, either, lol), but on the surface it sounds as if you enjoy playing your role of the person who doesn't "fit" with the rest of the family. Maybe a little too much, just to irritate them? Only you know the answer to that.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:10 AM

7,622 posts, read 4,195,134 times
Think of the best reason a person might come up with on why you didn't follow instructions and then go down to the worst reason.

The best reason is that you simply overlooked that detail.
Next reason would be that you didn't have time.
Then perhaps you didn't make time because you don't care.
Finally, you didn't try because you don't really want to be there.

All of these are possible thoughts that anyone spending time with you during the holidays can come up with. I would be prepared with a light-hearted reaction for any of these.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:17 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,732,146 times
Quote:

Thank you.

EXACTLY!

My life involves being a professional diver and a desired amateur photographer. It involves camping out on site. It involves so many things but one thing it doesn't involve is having a nice set of clothes ready to go at a moment's notice.
It did involve agreeing to attend an event hosted by someone else who had his/her own rules of conduct and expe trains of dress. I do not think it is too much to ask to be respectful of others’ expectations when you are not hosting. Surely this has been an issue for a while so it must not have been unanticipated.

For example, if a person is a vegan and simply can’t do a non-vegan thanksgiving, then it is best to decline the invitation instead of making a huge deal out of expectations. If the tradition has been to dress up a bit for the last 15 years, then I don’t see why it needs to be changed to accommodate one attendee who comes once every 20 years.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:26 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,534,097 times
You know, we find the time to do things that are important to us. If the OP had to get another lens for her camera because one cracked, there wouldn't have been any hand wringing and discussion about how much she had to do in this short week, how she was away every weekend, how she can't find clothes to fit her ever changing body, etc. She would have found the time to replace the lens.

Maybe you don't have time to buy clothes this week (although some stores are open Thanksgiving Day). Maybe you don't have any formal wear and don't want to buy any. Let's be honest though- do you go over for Thanksgiving dinner with clothes that look like you have just pulled them out of a bag? Can you iron your clothes before you go to dinner?

Old 11-22-2017, 09:33 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,766,950 times
Quote:

Thank you.

EXACTLY!

Fine. You're a very special person who leads a fascinating life with myriad responsibilities and you have marvelous adventures and your family adores you despite the fact that you wear clothes that look like you took them from a homeless person.

Can this thread be over now?

Old 11-22-2017, 09:35 AM

23,651 posts, read 14,131,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
You know, we find the time to do things that are important to us. If the OP had to get another lens for her camera because one cracked, there wouldn't have been any hand wringing and discussion about how much she had to do in this short week,
Actually, that is exactly what happened. Last Spring, my camera at the time got washed out in a rain storm so I bought a new one that week. It was delivered with its short range lens. My old camera, however, started working again before the next weekend, so it was brought back in service.

Now the old camera has started failing, two weeks ago on a camping trip, so I brought the new one on line.

Thank you, Amazon Prime!

Quote:
........ Let's be honest though- do you go over for Thanksgiving dinner with clothes that look like you have just pulled them out of a bag?
Yes....because I have a hiker's mentality.

Quote:
Can you iron your clothes before you go to dinner?
In theory, possibly but in reality, no. I haven't used an iron in over 27 years. Rather gave up on those when I left the service.

Long story short, to me, clothes should be more functional than beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships