Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 07:26 PM

3,266 posts, read 2,366,026 times

Advertisements

Your brother is paying for your hotel room. Is it too much to ask that you dress like a normal adult attending a Holiday event with your family?

Old 11-21-2017, 07:35 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,302,244 times
IMO, you can get a lot of mileage out of a pair of simple black pants and a decent cardigan sweater. You can even get away with wearing a t-shirt or cami under the sweater, if you dress it up with some jewelry. Don't like heels or boots? A pair of loafers or ballet flats or similar will do just fine. Roll it all up and it will fit in your backpack or whatever easily.

I recently had a weekend that included a funeral-memorial service and a couple dinners out in nice restaurants and I was able to easily fit multiple outfit changes (including shoes), and a laptop into one shoulder bag, with enough room left to stuff my purse in for carryon.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:39 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,169,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
.......OP, you need to start dressing for the body that you have now.........

I'm also confused since you mentioned that this 'formal' dinner is on the last night of Thanksgiving but you make it seem like it's only a overnighht trip? How many days are you staying for?
I don't think that is quite practical.

A few months ago, I bought news jeans in my 1996 size and now those are starting to fall off my hips even when I have a tactical shirt tucked in. I'm even dipping below my 1996 weight (some days I am). I am fitting back into shirts I haven't worn since the 90s.

I can't be sick since I am strong and have a very active life, so I put it down to a reduction of background stress. I am not running away from my problems, I have my dream house, I destress whenever I can.....and maybe sleeping normally again on an empty bed and not having cable anymore helps, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It still seems like 9 months is plenty of time to unpack, get settled, and figure out what clothes you own. But whatever.

I know time and money are short during the holidays but again, it would be a quick trip to Target or Walmart. You just don't want to do it, which is fine. But if you knew you weren't going do anything other than stuff your regular clothes into a backpack, why did you post?

If you're hoping that one of us will say that your relatives are being unreasonable for letting you know at the last minute that one dinner will be a little dressy, it's not going to be me. You've known about this trip for a while and you know your family. You had time to put together an outfit that's a little outside your casual zone but didn't want to do it. Again, if you were my relative and I cared about you, it wouldn't bother me. But it sounds like your relatives were concerned enough to mention it to you.
Wow! I go away for 8-10 hours of sleep and this thread practically doubles in size without me! Going to read through it all but not sure if I can answer each and every question.

I am getting the impression that others are not grasping the world of the apartments and this really isn't the thread to try to explain it. I will try in BRIEF but I'm afraid that won't do it "justice". A: I lived in the apartments for 25 years. B: Especially after Dad died, I BEGGED for time after each semester to catch up on things but was always told by Mom, "You can always do that later," and to come visit her. C: So it got to a cycle of never being able to catch up, returning from trips to home on a turn around schedule of home, drop things off, take off for work being sleep deprived due to day people believing you can always just take a nap for your night work. D: Hence, I would spend M, T, even W doing work and catching sleep where I could...and this was the pattern for years. E: The buffer system eventually collapsed and then, things just stacked up everywhere. F: When I was told I had to move in 11 weeks, it was not only that but also a state of denial of disassembling where I had lived for 25 years. G: Two moves later, it is an active life of working, dancing, diving, traveling, etc while still unpacking a boxed up life of 25 years. H: The End.

As I said, this is really not the thread to cover it.

Now, as I've said in this thread, it isn't just a quick trip to Target, which, by the way, is about 40 minutes away. It might be if this was a normal week but this is the shortest week of the year. There just isn't time to go clothes shopping with all the other things that have to be done this week in preparation for the trip. Further, this trip is the last of a very busy 7 weeks that have included 3 times of camping, 1 time of being sick (otherwise, it would have been 4 times camping), 1 time of scuba diving, and 1 time of driving to Dallas and back. So for all the suggestions of Goodwill, Thrift Stores, Target, and whatever, those options really don't exist during the week of, this week of Thanksgiving.

However, there is a point I find to all those suggestions. I asked of what does one do with the wrinkled sibling and seeing how that is the common answer, at least I've learned how one side thinks, approaches the problem. Now that I know that they see time (and perhaps money as well) as an endless asset, I will know to be wary of it.

As to the question of details of the duration of the trip, I will discuss that after the fact. I saw the Mayhem commercial about the home auction while the couple were off to New Orleans.

NOW, on with the countdown! (of reading the other posts from page 7 on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Your brother is paying for your hotel room. Is it too much to ask that you dress like a normal adult attending a Holiday event with your family?
He's not paying for it, I am. He set up the reservation for a bill that comes to me at $290.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
.......... We usually only fly with carry on luggage since checked luggage costs too much ......
I am beginning to get the impression that this is the way that most people fly these days. I haven't been thinking of going that way, of checking the hiking back pack. Since it seems most people think this way, it will probably be a very crowded cabin.....starting with us being in a cattle car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I find it perplexing that on the one hand the OP is complaining about money but then she refuses to buy toiletries until her destination, which she plans to throw away before she returns. This is apparently for a one-night trip? Why not keep them to reuse later and save money? Usually I just keep my collection in a container and just replenish items that are running out.
Because spending money under $100, the further the better, is okay to me.

As it is, now that I am learning that people seem to be talking in two languages, carry on and checked, I may have some toiletries after all in my checked bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
+1

Additionally perplexing is that in her carry-on, she is bringing a DLSR, telephoto lens and a short lens. Then in the checked bag, there will be a flash bar. I'm not sure why you'd need ALL that for such a short trip, ...
Because I am a photographer, my DSLR goes with me practically everywhere.

The flash bar, the megaflash, a 430E, may go in my carry bag after all. I am just concerned about the security check of it, of having it without batteries but then wondering if they will want to see it work as it is suppose to.

What about the DSLR? Can that go through security with its batteries? It's a Canon Rebel T6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
........I’m a bit confused about what you mean by homecoming. Are you just going to your parents, or is there a school homecoming that coincides?
Isn't "homecoming" another term for Thanks Giving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
..... How about a sexy new belly dancer outfit in your new svelte size? That'd get them talking for the next decade!
It certainly would and if I did, then it is fortunate my younger brother can't attend.

He wouldn't let me show my belly dance pictures to my step niece and nephew many years ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
........I do hope she pays more attention to the rules for flying these days including an acceptable form of ID, not all licenses qualify, to getting there early enough to make it through security, This is Thanksgiving week we are talking here, Busiest airport time of the year, LOOOOONG lines at security, and short tempers all around.
I am planning to depart the house 3 hours before the flight. An hour to get to the airport for a domestic flight, be there 2 hours before. Is that appropriate or should I put more time in the schedule?

The Texas DL has the star on it. That is the acceptable ID, is it not?

Of course I am going unarmed (another reason for the check bag is that I may need at least an "Ironman" mini tool, maybe, that is under research)..........................so should I put my CHL in my checked luggage, have it completely off my person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
The OP who posed the question has a job, is not looking for a new job right now, and wears what he calls business casual to that job.

The OP did not say he wears sweats, so you're exaggerating.

Although, I don't agree with him that jeans are considered 'business casual' in many workplaces - he says he wears jeans and a tactical shirt - I have NO idea what a tactical shirt is - is it a company shirt with logo on it? Or a shirt with special pockets for the particular tools or instruments used in tasks?

Business casual in many places consists of khakis or cotton pants in other colors such as navy or slacks, sometimes jeans are not allowed.
http://www.511tactical.com/mens/mens-shirts.html

They make them for women, too!

As a point of interest, I am not going to fly wearing one. I don't want to upset anyone appearing that I'm in an armed business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
OP, you have all these tactics and operations. Costumes galore. Why not launch "Operation Dinner Clothes"? You can go undercover disguised as a typical member of your family.

Why not launch this Operation?

Rev her up to 8,500!

Pocketa, pocketa, pocketa...
Well, that's a slight problem I alluded to earlier in the day with "lady of the hacienda". Long story short, I started realizing how such an outfit was making me feel very turned on and was causing an energy boost that could place me rather out of control. Picture Sarah M's "Possession" in reality. Being in the "eat men up" state probably isn't the best for a family gathering.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-21-2017 at 08:44 PM..

Old 11-21-2017, 07:43 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,747,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Hence the "or whatever." Or dressier slacks and a sweater OR WHATEVER, obviously. I didn't feel the need to list every biz cas article of clothing that exists.
I think the point you made was good, however... jeans can be a really difficult (and expensive) item to purchase in terms of finding a good fit. You’re far more likely to find issues like muffin top, the back gap, rips added in for styling, etc. that otherwise make something that might be acceptable completely unacceptable. On the other hand, if you are looking for black pants, most stores (even places like Old Navy and Target) should have a few styles that will fit different body types for women who are of more traditional sizes. I have some extremely versatile knit legging-style pants that I got several years ago from Uniqlo that are dressy enough to be worn as nicer pants but comfy enough to be worn on a plane. Unfortunately I haven’t seen that model again, but they are far better than jeans.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,278,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Wow! I go away for 8-10 hours of sleep and this thread practically doubles in size without me! Going to read through it all but not sure if I can answer each and every question.

I am getting the impression that others are not grasping the world of the apartments and this really isn't the thread to try to explain it. I will try in BRIEF but I'm afraid that won't do it "justice". A: I lived in the apartments for 25 years. B: Especially after Dad died, I BEGGED for time after each semester to catch up on things but was always told by Mom, "You can always do that later," and to come visit her. C: So it got to a cycle of never being able to catch up, returning from trips to home on a turn around schedule of home, drop things off, take off for work being sleep deprived due to day people believing you can always just take a nap for your night work. D: Hence, I would spend M, T, even W doing work and catching sleep where I could...and this was the pattern for years. E: The buffer system eventually collapsed and then, things just stacked up everywhere. F: When I was told I had to move in 11 weeks, it was not only that but also a state of denial of disassembling where I had lived for 25 years. G: Two moves later, it is an active life of working, dancing, diving, traveling, etc while still unpacking a boxed up life of 25 years. H: The End.

Now, as I've said in this thread, it isn't just a quick trip to Target, which, by the way, is about 40 minutes away. It might be if this was a normal week but this is the shortest week of the year. There just isn't time to go clothes shopping with all the other things that have to be done this week in preparation for the trip. Further, this trip is the last of a very busy 7 weeks that have included 3 times of camping, 1 time of being sick (otherwise, it would have been 4 times camping), 1 time of scuba diving, and 1 time of driving to Dallas and back. So for all the suggestions of Goodwill, Thrift Stores, Target, and whatever, those options really don't exist during the week of, this week of Thanksgiving.

However, there is a point I find to all those suggestions. I asked of what does one do with the wrinkled sibling and seeing how that is the common answer, at least I've learned how one side thinks, approaches the problem. Now that I know that they see time (and perhaps money as well) as an endless asset, I will know to be wary of it.

As to the question of details of the duration of the trip, I will discuss that after the fact. I saw the Mayhem commercial about the home auction while the couple were off to New Orleans.

In the time it will take you to catch up on this thread, you could go to Target and buy a cheap outfit. I don't see why it isn't an option. They're open late.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:48 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,286,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
(snip)

BTW, I have an overweight, 70 year old relative who normally wears tight tee shirts and shorts to every holiday party. The rest of the guests would just be happy if she decided to wear a bra once in a while. But, no one comments because it is none of our business what she wants to wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Why isn't it your business if she makes everyone uncomfortable? Are there no standards anymore?
I think that her children and grandchildren don't say anything because they are used to her dressing that way. And, I assume that no one else says anything because the holiday parties/dinners are held at her house. She really isn't the "hostess" as her husband does all of the planning, cooking and cleaning, but it is her house.

Yes, it is pretty awkward, especially for first time guests.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,545,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Believe it or not, the rest of us also have lives, jobs and other commitments. Many of us have lived in less than ideal circumstances from time to time. I understand you think you are uniquely...unique. Newsflash: so is everyone else.

Last edited by maciesmom; 11-21-2017 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Sp

Old 11-21-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Are you saying that you consider jeans and a tactical shirt to be business casual?

You should have asked him to define "formal". It means black tie to me but he may have meant something dressier than your business casual. Maybe he said formal to ensure that you kick it up a notch or two ... no work clothes or circus costumes. It's kind of like telling someone who's always late that an event starts an hour earlier to ensure they make it on time.
Well said!

Old 11-21-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I think that her children and grandchildren don't say anything because they are used to her dressing that way. And, I assume that no one else says anything because the holiday parties/dinners are held at her house. She really isn't the "hostess" as her husband does all of the planning, cooking and cleaning, but it is her house.

Yes, it is pretty awkward, especially for first time guests.
It certainly sounds awkward! I'm assuming her husband can't suggest she wear more normal clothes and underwear. I always wondered why some people want to stand out in such a negative way.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:14 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,747,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Believe it or not, the rest of us also have lives, jobs and other commitments. Many of us have lived in less than idea circumstances from time to time. I understand you think you are uniquely...unique. Newsflash: so is everyone else.
Exactly. Plus, the picture the OP originally painted is not he picture she is painting in this last post. Initially she said she just moved, didn’t have much money available, and didn’t have much time to get any new clothes.

Now she’s telling us she attended 4 camping trips, one scuba trip, and one out-of-town trip in addition to this trip all in the span of seven weeks. She’s also telling us she moved 9 months ago and can’t find the time to unpack, but that seems to be because she’s scheduling something every week. I find it hard to believe that someone who has the financial ability to pay for 7 trips in 7 weeks is so financially strapped as to not be able to afford inexpensive clothing at a goodwill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships