Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 12:39 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You honestly believe there isn't anyone 24 years old named Gertrude? There's probably several hundred and most were probably named after a family member.

What's next? Doubting there's s 13 year old named Hazel? Oh byyythere is! Julia Roberts named her daughter Hazel 13 years ago.
There were exactly eight Gertrudes born in the US in 1993, according to the US Social Security Administration. Even if you consider that a small percentage of babies are not assigned social security numbers at birth, there are still nowhere near "hundreds" of 24-year-old Gertrudes. Our OP here is a rare bird. I would seriously doubt she's met another Gertrude within 5 years of her age either way. Or more. Heck, I'm 48 and I can't recall ever meeting a living Gertrude.

On the other hand, there were 404 Hazels born in 2004 (and 4634 in 2016, so that is a name that has really exploded and is still rising). We're not talking about the same level of "unpopularity" at all. Hazel is just fine in her age group and getting better all the time, Gertrude is really not. I'd want to change it, too.

Last edited by saibot; 12-23-2017 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 12:57 PM

494 posts, read 500,935 times
Tell your mother that if she likes Gertrude, the she can change he name. As one who wold have preferred a better first name, I understand how you feel. Change your name if you're not feeling the one that you have.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:18 PM

983 posts, read 2,772,988 times
Your mom is being selfish, not you. Your mom should want you to be happy and stop thinking about her own selfish desire for you to keep the name she gave you.

Your mom reminds me of the moms on the t.v. show "Say Yes to the Dress" who insist on putting their daughters in gigantic, formal ball gowns, even though their daughters hate them and want a sleek look. News flash, mom: it your DAUGHTER'S wedding, not YOURS!

Old 12-23-2017, 02:53 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
Your mom is being selfish, not you. Your mom should want you to be happy and stop thinking about her own selfish desire for you to keep the name she gave you.

Your mom reminds me of the moms on the t.v. show "Say Yes to the Dress" who insist on putting their daughters in gigantic, formal ball gowns, even though their daughters hate them and want a sleek look. News flash, mom: it your DAUGHTER'S wedding, not YOURS!
This type of mom is called a "momzilla". Typically, they want a big wedding, even though their daughter and her groom may want a small, intimate one, because mom wants to invite all the relatives and friends, and have a big show and blow-out. It's the momzillas of the world who result in some couples opting to elope, instead of having a any wedding at all.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:36 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Your mother sounds like some piece of work. Tell Mom to get a cocker spaniel and name it Gertrude, but you are changing your name.
This might be the best piece of advise yet!

Old 12-23-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
There were exactly eight Gertrudes born in the US in 1993, according to the US Social Security Administration. Even if you consider that a small percentage of babies are not assigned social security numbers at birth, there are still nowhere near "hundreds" of 24-year-old Gertrudes. Our OP here is a rare bird. I would seriously doubt she's met another Gertrude within 5 years of her age either way. Or more. Heck, I'm 48 and I can't recall ever meeting a living Gertrude.

On the other hand, there were 404 Hazels born in 2004 (and 4634 in 2016, so that is a name that has really exploded and is still rising). We're not talking about the same level of "unpopularity" at all. Hazel is just fine in her age group and getting better all the time, Gertrude is really not. I'd want to change it, too.
Where did you look up this info? I want to look up my name. I KNOW there is no one else with it. Same with my sister.

Oh and if you read all of what I wrote, I said there are probably hundreds of ladies named Gertrude. I didn't say that there actually are. I was also thinking of ladies around the same age. It's definitely an old fashioned name. It's been used in movies a few times since 1993. One girl's poor nickname comes to mind....Gertie....why on earth would you EVER call someone Gertie? Just duct tape a kick me sign on the poor kid.

Hazel still isn't that common. And how many babies were born in 2004 and 2016?

Old 12-23-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This type of mom is called a "momzilla". Typically, they want a big wedding, even though their daughter and her groom may want a small, intimate one, because mom wants to invite all the relatives and friends, and have a big show and blow-out. It's the momzillas of the world who result in some couples opting to elope, instead of having a any wedding at all.
So that's what my mother was! Woman from hell is what I called her when I was getting married. I ended up keeping everything from her because she was such a nightmare. One of the perks of paying for your own wedding! She never even got to go dress shopping. I went with my matron of honor and was done in 10 minutes. I picked my gown out from a bridal magazine and the shop had it. I tried it on and said order it in ivory in my size and we're all set. Momzilla never even saw it until I walked down the aisle. Eloping was a serious discussion......many times! I KNOW why the Justice of the Peace is so darn popular!

Old 12-23-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Oh and if you read all of what I wrote, I said there are probably hundreds of ladies named Gertrude. I didn't say that there actually are. I was also thinking of ladies around the same age.
Sorry if I misunderstood. What you wrote sounded like you thought there were several hundred 24-year-olds named Gertrude:

Quote:
You honestly believe there isn't anyone 24 years old named Gertrude? There's probably several hundred and most were probably named after a family member.
Quote:
Hazel still isn't that common. And how many babies were born in 2004 and 2016?
Hazel was the 52nd most popular girl's name in 2016 and almost certainly went higher in 2017; it's been on an upward trajectory since 2000 at least. I guess whether it's "that common" is relative; it certainly isn't at all uncommon. More girls were named Hazel than Sarah or Caroline.

As for the info, you can look it up by name or by year at https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi . They only include names that appear five or more times per year, so your name not showing up doesn't necessarily mean no one else has it, just that fewer than five people born that year do.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Sorry if I misunderstood. What you wrote sounded like you thought there were several hundred 24-year-olds named Gertrude:

Hazel was the 52nd most popular girl's name in 2016 and almost certainly went higher in 2017; it's been on an upward trajectory since 2000 at least. I guess whether it's "that common" is relative; it certainly isn't at all uncommon. More girls were named Hazel than Sarah or Caroline.

As for the info, you can look it up by name or by year at https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi . They only include names that appear five or more times per year, so your name not showing up doesn't necessarily mean no one else has it, just that fewer than five people born that year do.
Comparing 2016 to 2003 isn't the same.

Where did you get the numbers for 1993? This link only shows from 2000 forward. And nope. My sister and I are not included. My name is a word in the bible spelled incorrectly and my sister's name was made up. She's the second person to have it.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Comparing 2016 to 2003 isn't the same.
I don't understand what you are saying. I used 1993 for Gertrude because the OP said she was 24, and 2004 for Hazel because you said a celebrity baby named Hazel was born that year. 2016 was just for comparison to show how Hazel has become steadily more popular since then. So while a Hazel born in 2004 was somewhat unusual, there are lots and lots (thousands) of Hazels younger than that, so it comes across as kind of trendy and many younger people will say they really like it. Not at all like Gertrude, which is the opposite. It wouldn't be all that fun to be a young person with a name that usually belongs only to people over 80.

Quote:
Where did you get the numbers for 1993? This link only shows from 2000 forward. And nope. My sister and I are not included. My name is a word in the bible spelled incorrectly and my sister's name was made up. She's the second person to have it.
Try this link. https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/ . Scroll down and there are lots of options for choosing names and years. Names beyond the top 1000 are in "Background Information."

There's actually no way to say for sure that a person is the only one with a certain name, or the second, or whatever. It might be the case, or it might not--there's no way to prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships