Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 02:31 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I would feel the same way about Gertrude. But if I had that name, I would opt to be called True.

My mom would accept it and it would be more distinctive than some of the up-to-date names.

I was a young teen, I thought I would like to be called Lisle. By the time everyone got used to using that name, I decided it was silly and went back to my birth name.

My eldest son decided that while we had called him Will, he wanted to be called Bill. We struggled with it but before long he decided to go back to Will. He said, "I didn't realize that every Tom, Dick and Harry is named Bill."
True is different, and very cool.

Your son is quite a wit, it seems!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 03:10 PM

808 posts, read 710,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I like my name. I can't really relate to the situation, but I doubt that the o.p. will be impressed by the achievements of some other Gertrude's. Actually I thought it was Gertrude Bennett who swam the Channel. And what about Gertrude Lawrence? I don't know... I'm not thinking we've changed her mind yet. <shrug> She doesn't like the name. It happens. Personally I'd say mom is getting off easy. Somewhere in the country there is a mother grappling with the fact that their child wants to change their name from Gertrude to Gerard. Or Laura to Leon. Or Maury to Mary. At least in those cases the child 'liked' the name. It just wouldn't be appropriate anymore. Small comfort. <snap!> What about Gina? Or Gwen? Then those monogrammed sweaters wouldn't be a total loss.
And don't forget Gertrude Weaver (1898-2015), who was the oldest living person for the last five days of her life at the age of 116.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
If the OP. Has always hated her name, then she isn’t going to change her mind by hearing about famous Gertrudes,

My name is now old fashioned, although once popular. I used to wish for a more distinctive name, but became reconciled to it. The OP has not become reconciled. IMO, she should not go through life hating her name, if she is willing to go the trouble to change it.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:48 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,526,149 times
What is your middle name? What do your friends & family call you? Will they start calling you something new?

I'd keep the Gertrude but add a new first name. Some people have two or three middle names.

And then be certain to go through the legal procedures to change your name by retaining an attorney & filing proper paperwork.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:55 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,850 times
I am a woman, my mother named me Michal, which is the name of King David's first wife, King Saul's daughter in the Bible. It is supposed to be pronounced like McCall except with a Hebrew sound to the prenunciation .
I would be happy if people would just used McCall. But first I get called Michael, then after I tell someone it is pronounced McCall, I get Mccale or some other butchering of the name.
In school every year they would call out Michael and then when I came up they told me, "No dear not you" and be looking around for a little boy.
I have had nothing but trouble with this name all my life, I think my Mother was very selfish when she named me that, BTW, my mother was Catholic when I was born, no one was Jewish in my family she just liked the name.
It surprises me that people don't bother to think about their child's life with an odd or out of date name.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:32 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,364,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Absolutely not. Sometimes parents make horrible choices when naming their children.
Did someone say "Sarah Palin"? No, that was "Frank Zappa" I heard.

But I wouldn't quite put Gertrude in that category.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:39 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Gerty was very hip, in 1925. Just imagine the nicknames - "Dirty Gerty" is only the most obvious one.
Hannah, Emma, and like twenty-five years ago were old fashioned and not hip. Forward five years and up to today. Gazillions of them!

Gerty is far better than Gertrude, and is nice and cute enough to catch on. "Dirty Gerty" could be a problem and possibility if OP was twelve or younger...

Adult OP will not have that problem. Adults will like it .

Old 12-18-2017, 06:13 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,603 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Your mother is my age. She knows Gertrude is an awful name. No one used that name, in our lifetimes, to describe someone attractive or lovely. 50 years prior to her birth maybe, but by the time your mom came along Gertrude was a joke name.

I'd say change your name, and call her Gertrude.

Parents who don't make an effort to give their children names they believe will give them a good start in life deserve the comeuppance of a child changing their name.

Has your mother tried to sabotage you in other ways, or was this more a one-off thing?

Old 12-18-2017, 06:23 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Your mother is my age. She knows Gertrude is an awful name. No one used that name, in our lifetimes, to describe someone attractive or lovely. 50 years prior to her birth maybe, but by the time your mom came along Gertrude was a joke name.

I'd say change your name, and call her Gertrude.

Parents who don't make an effort to give their children names they believe will give them a good start in life deserve the comeuppance of a child changing their name.

Has your mother tried to sabotage you in other ways, or was this more a one-off thing?
This is pretty harsh. Most parents put a lot of thought into naming their children, and the OP's mother gave her a name that was meaningful in some way. Gertrude may be an old-fashioned name, but it's not a liability or sabotage (are you kidding?) any more than naming a kid Brooklyn or Jayden.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:37 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by este914 View Post
I am getting my name changed and my mother does not like it. Ever since I was really young I hated it, the name being Gertrude, yuck (sorry to any Gertrudes out there). My mother has been trying to guilt-trip me from doing it, saying things like "But I picked out that name just for you" "You should be happy with it" "That's selfish thing to do" etc. etc.

I have always hated it and want to change it to something better like Allison, or Samantha. Am I being selfish?

I will be very honest. I am probably as old as your mom,(or older) and Gertrude was considered an "ugly name" when I grew up.

Yes. Names do go in cycles. However, I do not see "Gertrude" ever making a comeback.

Heavy sounding names that are not biblical or classical are probably gone for good. In that group, I would include "Bertha" "Mildred" "Maude" "Muriel" "Gladys" "Edna" "Hilda" and others are not poised for a return anytime soon.

Gertrude enjoyed some popularity in the 1900s through 1930s. I really do not think that this name was bestowed upon many baby girls born after WWII.

I think that your mother either did not think deeply about your name - or mindlessly gave it to you to honor an older relative. She didn't think this through.

In my opinion, she was careless or selfish or both. "Gertrude" pretty much is the "Gold Standard" of ugly names. That goes for "Gertie" and "Trudy" also.

If your mom had named you consciously,with thought to how OTHERS will perceive the name, I doubt "Gertrude" would be your name.

If she was looking for a timeless classic - "Gertrude" does not deliver. I understand old fashioned and classic names - they are timeless for a reason.

Katherine and Elizabeth are in that group of names. There are also several diminutives for both names that wax and wane in popularity.

When I was growing up, most "Katherines" (and varying spellings) opted to be called "Kathy".
Today, "Kate" is more popular, as is using the whole name with no diminutive.

In my generation, many people's moms (and my aunt) were named "Elizabeth". In general, most chose "Betty" as a nickname, followed by "Betsy" or "Bess".

Today, "Liz" "Libby" "Liza" would be preferred, but many "Elizabeths" like to be called by their full, real, name.

When I named my children, I researched the names fairly thoroughly. With girls names I wanted it to pass the "Doctor or Cheerleader" test. Could the name suit either profession or avocation? If so, I deemed it a good name.

Gertrude just sounds heavy and dated.

I would also check for negative associations. "Gertrude" has one - Gertrude Banisewski - a child torturer and murderer.

After 9-11, you just can't go around using another name. You need to change it legally.

People have asked you about your middle name. I didn't see a response. If it's a name that you can live with, that is the easiest way to go.

Between "Gertrude" and "Brandi" lie a whole plethora of names that can be taken seriously, but are not unattractive or ugly.

Let us know what you decide. For what it's worth, I am with you.

ETA - I am not in love with my given name, but I can live with it. If I couldn't I wouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships