Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 07:04 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,645,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
This is a joke, right? No 24 year old is named “Gertrude.” If so, I agree that you should change it.
You honestly believe there isn't anyone 24 years old named Gertrude? There's probably several hundred and most were probably named after a family member.

What's next? Doubting there's s 13 year old named Hazel? Oh byyythere is! Julia Roberts named her daughter Hazel 13 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 07:23 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,496,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by este914 View Post
I am getting my name changed and my mother does not like it. Ever since I was really young I hated it, the name being Gertrude, yuck (sorry to any Gertrudes out there). My mother has been trying to guilt-trip me from doing it, saying things like "But I picked out that name just for you" "You should be happy with it" "That's selfish thing to do" etc. etc.

I have always hated it and want to change it to something better like Allison, or Samantha. Am I being selfish?
Changing your name is selfish, that is the point of changing your name. If it were not personal you would not do it.

My only concern is the money it may cost you or other unforeseen problems. If you can wait until you get married (if that is something you would do) and change first and last name at the same time.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:45 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,645,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Changing your name is selfish, that is the point of changing your name. If it were not personal you would not do it.

My only concern is the money it may cost you or other unforeseen problems. If you can wait until you get married (if that is something you would do) and change first and last name at the same time.
I completely disagree that it's selfish to change your name. When you get married, you can only change your last name. Why wait until you get married? If you ever get married.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:47 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,212,852 times
Why not just give yourself a nickname.

Like Gert or Trudy.

I like the sound of Gert

Old 12-22-2017, 07:19 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,528,814 times
I can't judge if the mother is selfish or not, but I am glad my name is not Gertrude.

When I picked names for my children I did it with much thought, and one that would be easy for them to learn to write when they started first grade. I chose common short names for them that sounded good and they never had any problem liking their names.

If any of my 3 girls had wanted to change their names when they became adults, I would have fully supported their decision. I love them that much to want them to be satisfied and happy with their name.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:04 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,866,660 times
Quote:
I am getting my name changed and my mother does not like it. Ever since I was really young I hated it, the name being Gertrude, yuck (sorry to any Gertrudes out there). My mother has been trying to guilt-trip me from doing it, saying things like "But I picked out that name just for you" "You should be happy with it" "That's selfish thing to do" etc. etc.

I have always hated it and want to change it to something better like Allison, or Samantha. Am I being selfish?

Its your life so if changing your name makes you happy, do it!

Old 12-22-2017, 11:27 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,471,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
I like the sound of Gert
Imagine if Rocky Balboa were to call out "Yo, Gert!"

Old 12-23-2017, 01:55 AM

3,080 posts, read 1,687,441 times
Quote:

You're an adult, you can be called anything you want and rightfully insist on it. But I think it'd be easier to just pick an alternative name to be called (I have a friend named Christian who is known as Ernie, which is NOT a middle name ~ just something he chose to go by). Chances are your mother will insist on calling you Gertrude, at least at first, but it may be less shocking to just keep the name.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:21 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,207,589 times
Just want to mention that tge OP has not posted since the original query.

Not sure why this is so contentious. But the OP does not appear to be invested in the discussion. Just sayin’.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:07 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,214,712 times
Quote:

Your mother sounds like some piece of work. Tell Mom to get a cocker spaniel and name it Gertrude, but you are changing your name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships