Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 08:52 PM

88,869 posts, read 85,323,488 times

Advertisements

I knew Gertrude Ederle when she was in her 90s. She went by Trudy.

Who the heck was SHE, you ask?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_Ederle

I had an Aunt Gertrude, who was called Gertie. Gertrude was actually an Anglicized form of her Dutch name, Gertje.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 09:21 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,337,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
No, you aren't being selfish. It's nice that your mother gave you a name she thought was beautiful, but if it means nothing to you, go ahead and change it.
This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by este914 View Post
I am getting my name changed and my mother does not like it. Ever since I was really young I hated it, the name being Gertrude, yuck (sorry to any Gertrudes out there). My mother has been trying to guilt-trip me from doing it, saying things like "But I picked out that name just for you" "You should be happy with it" "That's selfish thing to do" etc. etc.

I have always hated it and want to change it to something better like Allison, or Samantha. Am I being selfish?
My new philosophy lately is: It's your life, therefore your choice.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:51 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,522,512 times
Your mom is being selfish by making you keep a name that makes you unhappy. It’s just a name, you’ll still be her daughter. What about if you let her have some input? Or do you already have something picked out?

One of my sisters changed her name when she was 6 because she was sick of people not being able to say her name. She used her middle name instead, and it stuck (she’s 28 now). She never changed it legally but has managed to get by just fine.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:55 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,628,267 times
Quote:
I have always hated it and want to change it to something better like Allison, or Samantha. Am I being selfish?
Absolutely not. Sometimes parents make horrible choices when naming their children. You're the one that has to live with it. Pick a nice name and go for it. Personally, I have always loved the name Samantha. In fact, Samantha Rae was on the short list had I had another daughter. Allison is also a very nice name.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:18 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,143,165 times
Can you go by Trudy? Thatsa cute name

Allison is one of my fave names for a girl

Old 12-18-2017, 02:42 AM

513 posts, read 740,030 times
My parents gave me the first name of my grandmother because I was born on her birthday. It's not really ugly, just old fashioned and not many people have ever heard of it. Incidentally, my grandmother wasn't crazy about her first name either and didn't want my parents to name me after her! It's Vara--many people think I'm saying "VEra" especially on the phone.

In addition, I go by a diminutive of my middle name, so all my life I've had to explain. I made up my mind when I grew up, I would name my child or children by the name they would go by and it would be short with little chance of misunderstanding by others.

When I expressed dislike of that name growing up, my mother gave me the same treatment--guilted me about not liking it, saying I should be proud to have my grandmother's name, etc., etc. I've never changed it, but I've been tempted!

Old 12-18-2017, 08:25 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,298,688 times
What have you childhood friends nicknamed you? If you like your nickname, perhaps you can start signing G. "nickname" last name. It would be unique.

Or you could simply sign G and your last name.

But, if you really hate your name and want to change it and you are 18 and can pay for the legal work, then just do it.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:26 AM

350 posts, read 231,273 times
My 91 year old mother is named Gertrude and at 63 I'm older than your mom. I couldn't imagine naming a daughter "Gertrude". BTW, my mom goes by Trudy.

It was a more popular name in the early 1900s but one never hears of a young woman or girl named Gertrude today. If you can't stand it I would change it. Your mother doesn't have to live with it as being part of her identity!

Old 12-18-2017, 09:02 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,174,331 times
Quote:
I am getting my name changed and my mother does not like it. Ever since I was really young I hated it, the name being Gertrude, yuck (sorry to any Gertrudes out there). My mother has been trying to guilt-trip me from doing it, saying things like "But I picked out that name just for you" "You should be happy with it" "That's selfish thing to do" etc. etc.

you mom is going to be hurt, even if you are in your 20s, she still looks at you like her baby. do you not have as middle name? how about using gerty, rudy, troody, or just G? there sure are some ugly names out there, and it makes me think if parents really considered what it would be like dealing with that name on a day to day basis.

look on the bright side, your name is not Gaylord, or Dick, or Becky? This torture of having people make fun of your name, usually ends after HS. No one is really playing those games in adulthood, unless they are immature .

Old 12-18-2017, 09:26 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,965,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I knew Gertrude Ederle when she was in her 90s. She went by Trudy.

Who the heck was SHE, you ask?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_Ederle

I had an Aunt Gertrude, who was called Gertie. Gertrude was actually an Anglicized form of her Dutch name, Gertje.
I like my name. I can't really relate to the situation, but I doubt that the o.p. will be impressed by the achievements of some other Gertrude's. Actually I thought it was Gertrude Bennett who swam the Channel. And what about Gertrude Lawrence? I don't know... I'm not thinking we've changed her mind yet. <shrug> She doesn't like the name. It happens. Personally I'd say mom is getting off easy. Somewhere in the country there is a mother grappling with the fact that their child wants to change their name from Gertrude to Gerard. Or Laura to Leon. Or Maury to Mary. At least in those cases the child 'liked' the name. It just wouldn't be appropriate anymore. Small comfort. <snap!> What about Gina? Or Gwen? Then those monogrammed sweaters wouldn't be a total loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships