Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 12:07 PM

51 posts, read 40,788 times

Advertisements

I am getting my name changed and my mother does not like it. Ever since I was really young I hated it, the name being Gertrude, yuck (sorry to any Gertrudes out there). My mother has been trying to guilt-trip me from doing it, saying things like "But I picked out that name just for you" "You should be happy with it" "That's selfish thing to do" etc. etc.

I have always hated it and want to change it to something better like Allison, or Samantha. Am I being selfish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 12:14 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
I'm not sure on this yet... How old are you, and how old is your mother?

Old 12-17-2017, 12:43 PM

51 posts, read 40,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I'm not sure on this yet... How old are you, and how old is your mother?
I am 24, my mother is 56.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:11 PM

3,297 posts, read 3,022,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by este914 View Post
I am getting my name changed and my mother does not like it. Ever since I was really young I hated it, the name being Gertrude, yuck (sorry to any Gertrudes out there). My mother has been trying to guilt-trip me from doing it, saying things like "But I picked out that name just for you" "You should be happy with it" "That's selfish thing to do" etc. etc.

I have always hated it and want to change it to something better like Allison, or Samantha. Am I being selfish?
A great many people use the accusation, "That's selfish!" in order to guilt others. I think your mom is the selfish one here. She is only thinking of herself. What kind, loving mom would want their child to go through life with a name that doesn't suit them? (Also, as I was once told, it's a good idea to be a bit wary of anyone who tries to "should" on you.)

If you take your mom's accusations and claims of hurt feelings out of the equation, is there any other reason not to change your name? I had a first name that made me cringe whenever anyone used it out loud. I thought it was ugly and didn't fit my personality at all. I finally got up the nerve to change it when I was 45 years old. I chose a name that made me feel good about myself. My mom was more like, "Oh, I'm so sorry you never liked your name!" which didn't make me feel great, but at least she didn't try to manipulate me into keeping it. I was so happy after I changed my name, I wished I had done it a couple of decades earlier.

My only caveat would be, don't do it impulsively. Make sure you really like your new name before you go to the trouble and expense of changing it. (Personally, I love both your choices.)

Old 12-17-2017, 01:13 PM

130,046 posts, read 12,078,224 times
I would just use a nick name for the time being, use Samantha or whatever appeals to you. Only do the legal change once you are usre you like it, it can be costly.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:16 PM

There are actually very few situations where you can't use an alias. I would use a new name in all your dealings for a couple of years before actually changing it. See how your feelings evolve on it... and your mother's.

I don't think it needs to be a battle that seems rushed or hurts feelings. Let it be an evolution.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:21 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,901,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
There are actually very few situations where you can't use an alias. I would use a new name in all your dealings for a couple of years before actually changing it. See how your feelings evolve on it... and your mother's.

I don't think it needs to be a battle that seems rushed or hurts feelings. Let it be an evolution.
No, no, no. Do NOT use an alias on any sort of document. It will come back to haunt you when you want a loan or credit or just about any legal matter.

I do agree that you could 'try out' names by asking friends to call you Sally or Sue or Whatever, but never put it on a document of any sort.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:26 PM

I didn't say use an alias on important legal documents.

I said there were only a few situations where you need to use your legal name.

Most other casual situations, a 'go by' would be fine.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:28 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
No, you aren't being selfish. It's nice that your mother gave you a name she thought was beautiful, but if it means nothing to you, go ahead and change it.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:30 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,192,051 times
Your mother isn't being selfish and neither are you. She is hurt and it feels like a slight, but you can pick a compromise and keep it as your middle name and add a new first name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships