Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 01:57 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,865,754 times

Advertisements

OP: They are his friends and YOU are his blood brother. Be the best man and let things go as your brother is planning things.

My brother and sister (she is gone) were my blood but friends were OFTEN more important in my life, there were there for me so so so much more. We all have our family issues but do the wedding as it's your brother's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 01:58 PM

45 posts, read 35,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And if the OP feels that way about his brother's really good friends, I can't imagine how he must feel about his brother's soon-to-be wife. Yikes.

Their whole "band of brothers" deal doesn't have anything at all to do with the wedding. They'll be close regardless of whether or not the OP is in the wedding. That's just the nature of their bond. OP flouncing off to sulk wouldn't change anything (except disappointing his family on what should be a unifying day.)
I like his fiancee a lot and I have no issues with her.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:59 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,708,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I find it interesting -- and a bit disturbing -- that you're leading the parade that's telling the OP he has no right to feel the way he feels.

That's wrong. People ALWAYS have a right to their feelings. You may not agree with his feelings but they have the right to feel that way.

He asked our opinion. Are we not allowed to give an honest answer ?

Old 02-04-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: They are his friends and YOU are his blood brother. Be the best man and let things go as your brother is planning things.

My brother and sister (she is gone) were my blood but friends were OFTEN more important in my life, there were there for me so so so much more. We all have our family issues but do the wedding as it's your brother's.
I am always there for my brother and so don't accuse me of not being there for my brother. I just don't want his work friends to be more important to him than me.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:01 PM

48,636 posts, read 35,115,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanb1181 View Post
I am always there for my brother and so don't accuse me of not being there for my brother. I just don't want his work friends to be more important to him than me.
Some of them may be, you can't control who is the "most" important to him.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-04-2018, 02:02 PM

15,254 posts, read 13,053,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
The OP might benefit from talking to a third party such as a professional counselor or psychologist [...] This sounds like it is more about the OP's oversensitivity about what he feels is his "disadvantaged" position due to disability and current lack of funds.
I agree with your suggestion about talking with a therapist, someone who is non-judgmental and can offer some insights. None of us are in his position, I'd wager. If we were, we might very well be having a difficult time coping and need someone to vent to.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
The OP might benefit from talking to a third party such as a professional counselor or psychologist to figure out why he appears to be seeking offense where it is very likely none is offered or intended. This sounds like it is more about the OP's oversensitivity about what he feels is his "disadvantaged" position due to disability and current lack of funds.

Again, OP, as many others have said, the wedding is not about you. Throwing a tantrum about the "mean boys" and refusing to be a part of the wedding will not achieve the goal you think it will. You will hurt him and possibly embarrass him, and while he might forgive you, he won't forget that you tried to make his wedding all about you. It will very likely have a significant effect on your relationship with him in the future, and not a good one.

He asked you to be his best man. He did not ask any of his firefighter or police officer friends to be his best man. That should tell you everything you need to know about your place in his life.
I was injured in a skiing accident last year and ended up with a spinal cord injury and I'm stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of my life so yeah I'm a little pissed about things.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:08 PM

1,913 posts, read 2,255,655 times
Quote:
I was injured in a skiing accident last year and ended up with a spinal cord injury and I'm stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of my life so yeah I'm a little pissed about things.
Since you are self-aware enough to understand that that might be the source of your discontent, it is very possible that discussing your feelings and your reaction to your brother's friends with a counselor might help you gain some perspective and allow you to enjoy the experience of participating in your brother's wedding along with his friends.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:12 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,615,473 times
Quote:
I know that wedding isn't about me. My real issue is those guys trying to shove me out of my brother's life.

Stand your ground and stay in the wedding. It will change and be more reasonable when they all get married and have families.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:14 PM

166 posts, read 117,544 times
Quote:
My older brother is getting married in July. I'm the best man in the wedding. I felt honored to be asked to do so. Anyway, my brother is a firefighter and has been one for close to ten years now. He is close friends with his fellow firefighters and a few cops. To be frank, I'm sick and tired of their "brotherhood" attitudes and the firefighter friends that are in the wedding almost act as if they are important to my brother than I am. It pisses me off and I can't stand their "brother" bull. I have been in my brother's life for 31 years now and I feel like being shafted out by people that aren't related to us and also people who we didn't grow up with. Lately with planning the bachelor party and other pre wedding events, I'm tired of his firefighter friends trying to act like they are more important than me.
I would decline and not stress over it one bit. Don't let them guilt you, sounds as if he has very egotistical friends who are quite manipulative. Sorry but he is attracted to them for a reason. Not the best crowd and life is short. Enjoy it. If you feel like passing on the reception, do that too. Attend the wedding for sure though

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-05-2018 at 04:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships