Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:19 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,681,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseFlowers View Post
I have major issues with the Catholic Church and I won’t step foot in one. My friend is mad at me because I told her I cannot come to the ceremony. I told her I would like to attend the reception. Now she doesn’t want to come at all. Which is fine. It’s her day.

Is it necessary to go to the ceremony?
I really don't want to read 8 pages of posts, so I'm likely to write something that's already mentioned.

But does your friend know about your reasons towards the church? If not, she may understand your stand a little better. As it is, based on your post, I cannot blame her. But it's hard to go against a personal conviction when it involves others to consider.

This is just a wedding. You do not have to participate in anything, and the priest conducting the ceremony is likely not at all like the one that traumatized your family. I'm a jack-Catholic, and I had to attend the rosary and church service for a family funeral. I was close to this person, and it wouldn't have been worth the damage done with family had I not gone.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:02 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimac View Post
You cannot blame all catholics for the actions of one priest.
It's a lot more than one priest. The catholic church sent all their pedophile priests to Alaska, where they raped their way across the entire state. The death toll, especially among Alaska Natives, from alcoholism and suicide is staggering, largely due to these rapist priests. The Fairbanks unit has already been bankrupted due to all the lawsuits. I hope the others go bankrupt as well. The catholic church has become nothing more than a blight on humanity, especially in Alaska.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:12 PM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So you can show up for the free food and drink but can't watch your friend get married?

It's not about YOU.

Lot's of people have issues with religion and churches, but those who aren't self absorbed put them aside for their friend or family.

If her mother died would you have said "sorry can't make your mom's funeral and be there for you, I have issues with the Catholic church"....sigh.

She already told you to stay away. I don't think you will have to worry about this friend anymore anyway.
Thank you.

When I got married, my now-ex-husband's friend took him aside and said "I would love to attend your wedding (which was in my childhood Protestant church, and my husband was a divorced Catholic) but I cannot in good conscience attend a Protestant wedding."

He was a ridiculous stereotype of an Irish-Catholic drunk, a bar owner, and a few years after my wedding he fathered a child with one of his barmaids, yea though he had a wife and three kids and was Mr. Catholic.

Lost his bar to the bookies after that.

But he had no problem showing up at the reception paid for by my Protestant parents and ate and drank himself stupid.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:16 PM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It's a lot more than one priest. The catholic church sent all their pedophile priests to Alaska, where they raped their way across the entire state. The death toll, especially among Alaska Natives, from alcoholism and suicide is staggering, largely due to these rapist priests. The Fairbanks unit has already been bankrupted due to all the lawsuits. I hope the others go bankrupt as well. The catholic church has become nothing more than a blight on humanity, especially in Alaska.
I never knew that about Alaska, and if it's true, it's horrifying.

Fewer than one percent of Catholic priests were pedophiles, yet the cover-up will long remain a blight on the RCC.

I believe you about Alaska, because it makes sense. Another mistreatment of indigenous people who long have had no voice.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:28 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Ah, wrong thread?
Yep, sorry! Can't delete anymore...

Old 02-24-2018, 10:33 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
I have major issues with the Catholic Church and I won’t step foot in one. My friend is mad at me because I told her I cannot come to the ceremony. I told her I would like to attend the reception. Now she doesn’t want to come at all. Which is fine. It’s her day.

Walking into the church doesn't mean you support their religion.

I'd probably reconsider a friendship with someone who wouldn't attend my wedding or tried to make drama over my choice of wedding venue.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:43 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
My brother was molested by a priest and then the church try to pay off my parents to keep quiet. That’s what this is about. And I’m not going to go.
Okay. Valid. But why do you have any Catholic friends without berating them constantly about allowing that?

Old 02-25-2018, 02:43 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:

Obviously for your friend it is.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:39 AM

4,053 posts, read 2,132,994 times
Quote:
I always learn something from CD. Erik, thanks for opening up my eyes about this. I'd never heard of it. ( It seems priests were also sent to other out of the way places to get rid of them, like Montana reservations, where the abuse also happened).

Sex Abuse in Alaska Church

Yup, it would be impossible for me to support the Catholic church, although I don't see that attending the wedding is supporting the church so much as supporting a friend. If I felt I would be complicit in all the abuse the church has done and condoned/hid for so many years (hopefully still isn't doing), I would just say I was busy.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:29 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
That is terrible. My heart always breaks for those who are mistreated by people who are supposed to be the most trustworthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I always learn something from CD. Erik, thanks for opening up my eyes about this. I'd never heard of it. ( It seems priests were also sent to other out of the way places to get rid of them, like Montana reservations, where the abuse also happened).

Sex Abuse in Alaska Church

Yup, it would be impossible for me to support the Catholic church, although I don't see that attending the wedding is supporting the church so much as supporting a friend. If I felt I would be complicit in all the abuse the church has done and condoned/hid for so many years (hopefully still isn't doing), I would just say I was busy.
Thank you for the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships