Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 07:07 AM

16,604 posts, read 8,622,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseFlowers View Post
I have major issues with the Catholic Church and I won’t step foot in one. My friend is mad at me because I told her I cannot come to the ceremony. I told her I would like to attend the reception. Now she doesn’t want to come at all. Which is fine. It’s her day.

Is it necessary to go to the ceremony?
Your question should be is it necessary for people to allow their personal feelings to damage a friendship and affect "her day".

I am not a Jew or a Muslim, but if a friend invited me to go to a wedding in one of those places, I'd certainly go. I of course would not be participating in any religious ceremonies/customs of theirs, but that is not to be expected anyway.

As to different denominations within the same faith, I have no clue what your problem is. I have gone to services of different denominations when invited by friends.
So whether it be Lutheran, Catholic, Baptist or any of the others that worship Jesus, their customs hardly matter.
Heck I hear the Pentecostal's shake live rattlesnakes around during their ceremonies. While I would not get up and shake one with them, it would be educational/interesting to say the least.

The bottom line is you are the one at fault here, and should try to make amends by apologizing and attending the ceremony on her special day, if you are truly her friend.
Remember her one special day is not about you, it is about her.

`

Old 02-24-2018, 07:23 AM

9,102 posts, read 6,324,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I only set foot in churches for wedding and funerals. My presence there doesn't support the churches, just the people I'm there for. It's just a building.
This is my personal policy too. Attending a wedding or funeral in a church does not support the church organization because no one is paying to attend a wedding or funeral. It is just the act of sitting in a building for an hour or two. No big deal.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:31 AM

16,604 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
My brother was molested by a priest and then the church try to pay off my parents to keep quiet. That’s what this is about. And I’m not going to go.
This is starting to sound like a troll post from a newbie.
Even if your story is genuine, that would hardly be a reason to shun an entire institution over a bad apple. Every profession has bad apples, even the ones charged with greater respect/authority.
Heck we recently all found out that an Olympic MD was molesting young girls while in his exam office over a long period of time.
It was allegedly covered up or at least ignored. That individual is getting his just rewards, but I am not going to blame the entire organization for it.
So whether it be cops, Rabbi's, MD, school counselors, etc. the institution is not to blame as a whole.

Now that you have divulged the supposed reason, it is more absurd than I thought. You need to check yourself and quick (assuming this is real). As I said in my last post, this event is not about you, it is about your supposed friend.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:50 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It's very tacky to not go to the ceremony if you were invited.
I am aware. My point was about weddings where only family members attend the ceremony and then friends, neighbors, co-workers are invited to the reception.

This isn't one of those times, but I was answering the OP's question.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:53 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,750,870 times
Quote:
My brother was molested by a priest and then the church try to pay off my parents to keep quiet. That’s what this is about. And I’m not going to go.
Which is your right. What you should have done was send a note saying your regret that you will be unable to attend the wedding and reception. Then send a gift and card closer to the wedding.

Insulting the bride and her faith was exceptionally poor manners.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:08 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,847 times
Unless it was that priest, at that specific church, you're just punishing your friend and pretending it's because you have some moral superiority.

Like someone said upthread, it's like hating all people of a certain colour because one of that colour did you wrong. I have my own issues with the Catholic church, and have no use for religion. Like it would be measured in the negative numbers if possible. But I've been to more than one family wedding in Catholic churches, because I wanted to share the joy of my relatives' days. It's about them, not me.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:23 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Your friend is better off without you in her life frankly, and in future don’t make friends with Catholics lest you face this conundrum again at a christening or woe betide you are asked to be a godmother.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:24 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
I don't think the OP is getting the responses she wanted.

Oopsie.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:27 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,222,483 times
Quote:
Well, if you had started with that, it all makes a LOT more sense!

Old 02-24-2018, 08:29 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Well, if you had started with that, it all makes a LOT more sense!
What doesn't make sense is posting on CD expecting someone to fix a problem she created herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships