Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 02:10 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,261,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I have a friend that I absolutely adore. We have known each other for 30 years.

She and her husband both have college degrees. They have four kids and she is a SAHM. He has a job that doesn't pay very well, but it's very fulfilling and helps the community.

Her dad helps them out a lot, flying them out for visits, buying them a car, etc.

I have now received the third GoFundMe for something to do with their kids. It is a fundraiser so one of their kids can go on a school trip.

I feel bad thinking this way, but I have always had a full time job and paid for this kind of thing with my own money for my kids. I kind of feel resentful that she feels like it's okay to stay home and basically beg friends and family for anything she wants.

I know I shouldn't be petty like this and I should just donate as it's for her kids and they didn't ask for this situation.

Am I wrong for this feeling of resentment?
You have no reason to feel bad about not wanting to support this. I would not support anything that was not of an emergency type of situation. But that’s just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 04:26 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,674,107 times
I have contributed to a total of two go fund me accounts:

1) A guy from high school's baby boy was born with congenital heart defects. He had a crazy amount of surgery, but it wasn't until *right* before the last required surgery at age 3 that he suffered a major stroke that developmentally sent him back to infancy. The health care was covered, but not the vehicle they needed for the wheel chair.

2) My brother-in-law's younger brother in Houston got flooded with the hurricane last year. He had been safe and dry, except the army corp of engineers released one of the dams. They didn't have flood insurance and weren't considered in a flood plain. They suffered $50k worth of damage and were expected to get $35k from the govt. We helped make up the difference.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:36 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:

She and her husband both have college degrees. They have four kids and she is a SAHM. He has a job that doesn't pay very well, but it's very fulfilling and helps the community.

Her dad helps them out a lot, flying them out for visits, buying them a car, etc.

I have now received the third GoFundMe for something to do with their kids. It is a fundraiser so one of their kids can go on a school trip.

I feel bad thinking this way, but I have always had a full time job and paid for this kind of thing with my own money for my kids. I kind of feel resentful that she feels like it's okay to stay home and basically beg friends and family for anything she wants.

I know I shouldn't be petty like this and I should just donate as it's for her kids and they didn't ask for this situation.

You should not be feeling resentment, and you should also not be paying if you don't want to.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:34 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
It's not a should, it's a can or will you. By the likes of it you are better off declining based on what you consider worthy of giving.

I gave to my nephew since my sister is a sahm. She has a rare heart disease so I have no qualms in giving my nephew some normal activity. He is having to see his mom whither away...

Most folks have limits. I do understand your limitation given that you have shown generosity in the past.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:44 AM

77 posts, read 53,113 times
Asking isn’t the same as demanding, but also asking isn’t getting.

I wouldn’t contribute to that student’s school trip, which is far from necessary. This “friend” should learn to live with the consequences of the choices she makes. She decided to be a stay-at-home mom, and that’s fantastic. She gets more time to enjoy her children, and take great care of them. Families with two working parents give up 80 hours of their lives every week in order to be financially stable, and often their kids have a house key in their pockets because mom and dad are both away when they come back from school. You can’t have a cake and eat it.

Repeated requests for money in non-emergency situations are unacceptable. I’d downgrade this fake friend to the status of annoying acquaintance.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:38 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:

The kids also don't need to learn that they can get something just by begging for it.
Question, BookLover. Are you afraid your friend will know you did not donate and think you should just to avoid that potential conflict?

Old 04-23-2018, 06:12 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:

Not wrong at all.

If you don't want to fund her kids' activities, then don't.

Does she send you notices for the GoFundMe?

Old 04-23-2018, 06:23 AM

We've received GoFundMe notices to help out someone we barely know buy a mobile home so she can quit renting, to help the daughter of a friend attend an event in another state, to help a neighbor attend a yoga certification class, to help the son of an acquaintance pay off his debts, to provide startup funds for a tarot card reading business, to help fund a student trip to Ireland, ...

The list goes on of those who want us to help pay for something they are unwilling to work and save for.

I'm amazed that so many of these actually get funded.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:29 AM

When I feel a strong need to support learning, I go to https://www.donorschoose.org and pick a classroom project.

Usually select something to do with literacy or science. I just did this for Mothers' Day in honor of all the teachers who helped mother me.

But contribute to class trip for a friend's child? I don't think so.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:05 AM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
No don't donate. You have been more than generous with this person. There is a problem with your friend, and only she can fix it. It is not your problem. She has developed a lifestyle of depending on others. Continually providing to her requests is enabling here. Don't be an Enabler for your friend. Or things will never change, and only get worse. It would be better to flat out stop all the giving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships