Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 05:22 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,314,898 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't donate. I know a lady with a college degree who doesn't work. She is always on FB begging for things. She talks about her children being on Medicaid, and then complains when she is fined for not having insurance. These same children have been to Disney, are active in dance, and dress well. Something is not right when people expect others to pay for their lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 05:32 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,635,920 times
GoFundMe stuff is overused and abused. Now, when ANY thing happens, bam, someone sets up a page. I have seen with a death in the family and a fund was started to help with expenses or maybe funeral expenses. You can be put away on the cheap. My daughter died and I was a sahm at that time. My dh had let the insurance lapse on her. My parents guaranteed the cost (they were not well off but very respected) and we paid it to the funeral home over 18 months. Would never happen in this day and time. I am so glad we never depended on something like a GoFundMe page, even if we had not been able to afford her a decent funeral.

I don't donate to any of them. I do give to students and others who need donations for a worthy cause.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:54 PM

292 posts, read 245,281 times
Boy, I had to respond to this...as I have been too much of a soft touch in the past. But people make these things so obvious, that they are really not in need...that I find it revolting.

I have a distant acquaintance that posted a GoFundMe due to a spousal job loss and a serious health problème. These are life altering emergencies and most people do not mind sparing a few bucks to help out.

The posting shared all the reasons and particulars about the situation. While they did not raise, to the best of my knowledge, their goal amount....they received quite a bit of help.

About a month back I was asking her about the medical condition of which she stated was the reason for needing the funding....well, the doctor decided that she did not have this condition. When I started to ask her some further questions ( since I am in the medical field and actually need and currently use the treatment modality for the last 17 years that her doctor supposably ordered) she could not correctly answer any of my questions.

This was not in an attempt to shush her out....as, at that time, I totally believed in her story and wanted to share a few ideas with her on how to get this treatment. Such as needy medicines, calling the pharmaceutical company, etc.

She is really very knowledgeable about her condition, of which the diagnosis has changed several times just in the current calendar year...quite possible actually.

But the last call let me know in no uncertain terms that she does not have her current condition...due to the fact that none of the current treatment modalities ( and there are not that many) ran a bell with her...complete BS, as this is a genetic condition.

This is a very serious condition that she states that she has.....

And it can kill people....and she is supposedly a support group leader....for the disease.

Yikes.......she is out of my life! I have heard of people faking Cancer in Cancer support groups...now I have experienced this for myself.....SAD!

Old 04-24-2018, 06:51 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
No. The intent of “Go fund accounts” should be to help out financially due to tragedy- not for “extra’s”. It’s narcissitic to ask people to fund you or your family for “extras”.

I agree - I haven't had a vacation in over 10 years but I'm not doing a Go Fund Me to take one.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:16 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,103,423 times
O.P., why is your friend not using her college degree to help her family's finances? Surely there's employment out there for her.
The housewife gig has got to be old by now.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:49 AM

588 posts, read 463,316 times
I shudder at the thought of when these kids hit college age.

Who is going to pay for their educations then. I am sure there has yet to be any funding for retirement nor has there been funding for any kind of college age training.

You have your own kids and responsibilities. Your friend lives 2000 miles away! What kind of friendship is that. I suspect that if she lived right around the block and you got to see first hand their lifestyle your want of feeling petty would fly out the window.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:31 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,264,312 times
Let me just start by saying, if it hasn't already been mentioned, Gofundme is not just for tragedies. it's for all types of fundraising. Kids have always had fundraisers for school trips, sports, etc. Now, we have online platforms to do it and reach more people. I like donorschoose site better if I want to help in that way. It's up to you of course whether you want to contribute to anyone/thing, obviously you aren't required to do so.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:58 PM

133 posts, read 87,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Let me just start by saying, if it hasn't already been mentioned, Gofundme is not just for tragedies. it's for all types of fundraising. Kids have always had fundraisers for school trips, sports, etc. Now, we have online platforms to do it and reach more people. I like donorschoose site better if I want to help in that way. It's up to you of course whether you want to contribute to anyone/thing, obviously you aren't required to do so.
Agreed that it doesn't have to be used for tragedies....I've had several family members use it to get donations for a Walk-a-Thon to raise money for charity or a hit-a-thon for a baseball team to raise money for a travel tournament. Basically an organized fund raising exercise. Not just a request for money so I don't have to do anything on my own, if that makes sense....

Old 04-25-2018, 09:27 AM

581 posts, read 456,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I wouldn't donate. I know a lady with a college degree who doesn't work. She is always on FB begging for things. She talks about her children being on Medicaid, and then complains when she is fined for not having insurance. These same children have been to Disney, are active in dance, and dress well. Something is not right when people expect others to pay for their lifestyle.
I have a friend who used to work at a department store. One Christmas a woman got caught stealing very expensive items and her excuse was she couldn't afford to pay for Christmas gifts because she'd just bought a horse. I think the level of entitlement in our society is so off the charts, people just take care of their wants first and expect everyone else to foot the bill for the rest.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:49 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Nope. They are low income by choice. She has the opportunity to work while the kids are at school, just like everyone else. He has the opportunity to work at a higher paying job, or take extra work, or a second job. They aren't disabled. They need to live within their means, or work more. It's not your job to support their decision to have children they couldn't afford.
My husband and I both worked full time. If we couldn't afford something that was important to our children (like a special trip) they got odd jobs or did fundraisers to earn the money and/or Hubby or I got a second job.

There would be no way in hell I would pay money for a child of a SAHM to go on a trip. Mom needs to get a job. Sheesh.

OP, I can't believe that you have already donated to two other Go-Fund-Me cons for this family..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships