Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 07:16 PM

983 posts, read 2,774,883 times

Advertisements

I am childfree by choice and don't really want to hang around kids either. However, being a good friend means being supportive of your friend and sometimes doing things that make them happy because you love them and it makes them happy. My best friend has 2 boys and I take them out on their birthdays and go to some of their concerts because I love my friend and it makes her happy. I love the boys too and consider them my nephews, but it's not like I FEEL like hanging out with them or going to their shows. It's part of being a good, caring friend. My friend treats me like gold and tells me I am like a sister to her, and you cannot put a price on that.

Good friends are important in life and hard to come by. They should be treasured and treated with love and care.

Your problem isn't that you don't like kids. It's your attitude as expressed in your original post. It has a ring of "my way or the highway" which will not endear you to people or help you to foster meaningful friendships.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:23 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,204,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreysrey View Post
I never say I don't like their kids, I simply let them know that I don't like kids in general or want any kid of my own. I went to birthday parties, I hung out with their kids, everyone likes me.

I know it's rude to say those stuffs out but this is how I feel and I didn't say it out loud. Also, there are time when I went out with them and the kid just cry and cry and cry. The mother just yelled at the kid to stop crying. I'm just a friend not even a relative to the kid so I can't discipline the kid or say anything. I can't tell her how to raise her kid. How would you feel when your day is ruin because of the kid? I was being patient enough to let them do what they need to do. That is how I get annoyed with kids.

The way we had the conversation was like a joke. My friends know how I am.
You don't have to give reasons. Just say you are not available. Duh. It's not hard. They are not asking you to adopt them (God forbid).

Old 05-19-2018, 08:03 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
How about when you were a kid? Did you like kids then? Did anyone even tell you that you were a kid? Was that traumatic? Have you ever tried another species? Maybe you're identifying as another species that doesn't start off as a young human.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:16 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,405,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
How about when you were a kid? Did you like kids then? Did anyone even tell you that you were a kid? Was that traumatic? Have you ever tried another species? Maybe you're identifying as another species that doesn't start off as a young human.
I was born old.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:07 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,984,194 times
I’ll be back in 2 years when op posts about her pregnancy. God speed!

Old 05-19-2018, 09:37 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Kids are cute, adorable, but I just can't stand kids.
What a weird thing to say.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:52 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,145,154 times
Quote:
So I don't like kids, all my friends know this. I told them too if they have kids and invite me to birthday, don't be surprise I'm not going. Kids are cute, adorable, but I just can't stand kids. I'm not going to fake and pretend to be nice and happy being surrounded by their kids. Also, I don't want to waste my money on any of them haha.

Maybe I don't have neices and nephew so I don't understand them. A friend invited me over to her daughter's pre K graduation ceremony, I said NO. Then I told another friend what happened and she said she doesn't know how we are going to be friend if I don't like kids. I told her if she want to cut me off because of this fine with me. This friend is not married and no kids yet so the cutting off won't happen until she does lol.
Turn down the invitation and do not go.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:15 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,109,437 times
I think your friends are weird for inviting you.

I never invited MY friends to my kids milestones, parties or events. I invited grandparents, aunts, cousins, godparents, their friends from school & my friends with kids, who they were familiar with.

I mean, why do thy want you there? Emotional support?

Now, if it’s an event of theirs, that their kids will be there for; then suck it up & go for a few at least.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:29 AM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
So I don't like kids, all my friends know this. I told them too if they have kids and invite me to birthday, don't be surprise I'm not going. Kids are cute, adorable, but I just can't stand kids. I'm not going to fake and pretend to be nice and happy being surrounded by their kids. Also, I don't want to waste my money on any of them haha.

Maybe I don't have neices and nephew so I don't understand them. A friend invited me over to her daughter's pre K graduation ceremony, I said NO. Then I told another friend what happened and she said she doesn't know how we are going to be friend if I don't like kids. I told her if she want to cut me off because of this fine with me. This friend is not married and no kids yet so the cutting off won't happen until she does lol.
If the delivery you use is anything like the delivery of your thoughts on the forum, I can sure see why you have misunderstandings with your friends. The way you write comes across as rude, sarcastic, and judgmental. There is a thing called tolerance, and a thing called patience. Might give them a try if you want to stay in contact with your friends as their families grow. You don't have to "like" kids but there is no excuse to be a sourpuss about it. I don't have kids, never wanted any, but I treat my friends' kids kindly. Funny thing is, other people's kids love being around me...their parents tell me. Maybe because I don't know how to talk down to them or treat them like children. Maybe it's because I overcompensate, being anxious about kids that start acting out so am quick to distract them with stories, nature facts, and questions. Next thing I know I am surrounded and can't escape.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-20-2018 at 12:38 AM..

Old 05-20-2018, 08:06 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Quote:

It's curious that you find this funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships