Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 06:39 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Well, in the OP's defense, "older people" and "red-haired people" don't start shrieking at random, loud enough to cut through a rock concert, and then refuse to stop for hours. They also don't get brought to fancy restaurants by self-entitled parents out of blatant carelessness, where they disrupt everyone else's expensive meal. "But, but, but... you don't understand, 'cause you're not a parent."
Other adults have disrupted my vacations and other fun experiences about 50 times more than any children have.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:04 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreysrey View Post
I wasn't rude, I just simply say no. How is that rude? Do I need to have explanation too?
You're not simply saying no. You're going on and on about how you don't like kids. If you don't find it fun to be around kids, that's fine. Lots of people don't think being around kids is fun.

But for some reason, it's perfectly fine to trash the class of humans known as children in a way that you wouldn't with another group, say African-Americans or the disabled.

It's obvious that English is not your first language. How would you like it if I said, "I don't want to hang around people who speak with accents or can't write English properly, and I don't want to waste my money on them if they have a birthday party and you invite that guy with the accent, I'm not coming. I just don't want to be around people like that."

Old 05-21-2018, 07:17 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This.

NEVER a fan of kids, but I was a big fan of supporting my friends and the important things in their lives.
Don't you have kids

Old 05-21-2018, 07:58 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Lighten up a bit and if you can't control yourself to act civil around kids when forced to be near them, then only find friends with your mindset. Then you can hate kids together.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:17 AM

581 posts, read 456,755 times
I don't really like kids either, but I show up for events because I care about supporting my friends. If you dread the thought of spending time with children then by all means don't, but I think it may be your attitude and rudeness that turned your friend off rather than your dislike for children in general.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:26 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,471 times
Hum...makes me wonder how you were brought up as a kid. I wish you the best in life.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:13 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Lighten up a bit and if you can't control yourself to act civil around kids when forced to be near them, then only find friends with your mindset. Then you can hate kids together.
You got it!

It's funny, these sorts of people seem to enjoy posting their vitriol about kids on an anonymous chat board more than they do enjoying the activities that their childfree status allows them to do unfettered.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:29 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreysrey View Post
I never say I don't like their kids, I simply let them know that I don't like kids in general or want any kid of my own. I went to birthday parties, I hung out with their kids, everyone likes me.

I know it's rude to say those stuffs out but this is how I feel and I didn't say it out loud. Also, there are time when I went out with them and the kid just cry and cry and cry. The mother just yelled at the kid to stop crying. I'm just a friend not even a relative to the kid so I can't discipline the kid or say anything. I can't tell her how to raise her kid. How would you feel when your day is ruin because of the kid? I was being patient enough to let them do what they need to do. That is how I get annoyed with kids.

The way we had the conversation was like a joke. My friends know how I am.

IMO, you're being very short sighted.

It's hard enough to maintain friendships with new parents. Their lives are wrapped around their children now, and it'll be that way for a good long while.

Sometimes, being invited to their children's parties is a way for the parents to try and maintain an adult friendship, because they CAN'T go bar hopping with you so much anymore, or go hiking, kayaking...whatever it is you like doing.

If you keep on this trajectory of saying 'no' to your parent friends, you will most likely lose these friends. Maybe it's no big loss on either side.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:22 AM

815 posts, read 709,663 times
Even if you both were committed to remaining friends, it's really tough to maintain friendships with childless friends. Parenting is all-consuming so it often becomes increasingly tough to find the time to maintain friendships and to keep from morphing into a totally unrecognizable person as time goes on.

A lot of times these friendships die a graceful, natural death but with your strong feelings on the subject it would happen faster.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:43 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Even if you both were committed to remaining friends, it's really tough to maintain friendships with childless friends. Parenting is all-consuming so it often becomes increasingly tough to find the time to maintain friendships and to keep from morphing into a totally unrecognizable person as time goes on.

A lot of times these friendships die a graceful, natural death but with your strong feelings on the subject it would happen faster.
Explain to me how it is that as a childless person, most of my friends now have children and I haven’t found them to be morphed into a totally unrecognizable person 5-10 years after they had kids? Some of them have changed, but many of them have actually improved. One was not healthy at all and has since become a fitness instructor and is able to do a lot more than she could when she was obese (when we first met 16-17 years ago). So if that is morphing into someone unrecognizable, then yes... but that is because she improved herself, not because she had kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships