Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 10:44 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,204,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Well, in the OP's defense, "older people" and "red-haired people" don't start shrieking at random, loud enough to cut through a rock concert, and then refuse to stop for hours. They also don't get brought to fancy restaurants by self-entitled parents out of blatant carelessness, where they disrupt everyone else's expensive meal. "But, but, but... you don't understand, 'cause you're not a parent."
OP, Mr Millennial Urbanist over there would like to invite you to his grownups-only birthday celebration re-do. How do you feel about Dave & Buster's?

Old 05-21-2018, 10:46 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Explain to me how it is that as a childless person, most of my friends now have children and I haven’t found them to be morphed into a totally unrecognizable person 5-10 years after they had kids? Some of them have changed, but many of them have actually improved. One was not healthy at all and has since become a fitness instructor and is able to do a lot more than she could when she was obese (when we first met 16-17 years ago). So if that is morphing into someone unrecognizable, then yes... but that is because she improved herself, not because she had kids.
WHat's buried in all this is that ideally EVERYONE should be morphing into something else as they get older, wiser, more experienced. The notion of some not morphing (or call it evolving) as the grow up, children or not, is depressing and unattractive.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:53 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
WHat's buried in all this is that ideally EVERYONE should be morphing into something else as they get older, wiser, more experienced. The notion of some not morphing (or call it evolving) as the grow up, children or not, is depressing and unattractive.
Yes, people evolve, but not into some nameless “ParentPerson” who only have interests related to their children. Many adults have interests that are unrelated to their children and continue to have adult time when they have kids. This idea that once you have children, you can’t do anything other than child-related stuff or be with friends who have kids is silly. If you are interested in running marathons, that interest isn’t suddenly going to end just because you have kids.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:03 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Someone stick a pin in this over-blown hot air balloon.
Why? I think he's right. People in the USA are ridiculous when it comes to their special little snowflake children. Gone are the days when kids were afraid to act out around adults - now they know they can do it because mummzies and daddums will come sailing to their rescue if anyone dares to correct them.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:05 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Your "wedding party"? You mean your wedding? Or your reception?

Did your printed invitations indicate that the event is adults only? That's what most people do and it tends to solve the problem.

FYI the "wedding party" traditionally refers to members of the wedding: the couple, bridesmaids, groomsmen, parents of the bride and groom, designated ushers, etc.
Doesn't matter the details of the event. She tried to strongarm me to let her bring her kids, it was a hard pass. I don't feel the need to spend money on overpriced wedding invitations in hopes that people will take a hint.

FYI a wedding party can mean many things.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:08 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,443 times
Marriage changes friendships, kids change friendships, etc. It doesn't have to end them, though.

Life is always changing and some friendships can withstand changes, while some cannot. It's normal

Old 05-21-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yes, people evolve, but not into some nameless “ParentPerson” who only have interests related to their children. Many adults have interests that are unrelated to their children and continue to have adult time when they have kids. This idea that once you have children, you can’t do anything other than child-related stuff or be with friends who have kids is silly. If you are interested in running marathons, that interest isn’t suddenly going to end just because you have kids.
I think we're kinda saying the same thing. What I don't buy is how some posters here believe that the moment a kid pops out the parent is immediately and irretrievably changed.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Doesn't matter the details of the event. She tried to strongarm me to let her bring her kids, it was a hard pass. I don't feel the need to spend money on overpriced wedding invitations in hopes that people will take a hint.

I'm sure she missed a hoot!

Old 05-21-2018, 12:09 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:

So....misunderstandings all the way around because you were too...I don't know, to follow wedding protocol. Got it.

So...you didn't send out invitations at all?

Old 05-21-2018, 12:10 PM

581 posts, read 456,755 times
Quote:
Why? I think he's right. People in the USA are ridiculous when it comes to their special little snowflake children. Gone are the days when kids were afraid to act out around adults - now they know they can do it because mummzies and daddums will come sailing to their rescue if anyone dares to correct them.

My mother recently retired as a youth sports instructor for the YMCA and she had one parent call her at home and yell at her because his child didn't get a participation medal in the tennis tournament she ran. My mother explained she only awarded prizes to the top three finishers and his response was "If every kid doesn't get a medal, then NOBODY should get a metal." And we wonder why so many kids are entitled and out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships