Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:12 AM

34 posts, read 253,244 times

Advertisements

In my office at work we have hundreds of people who come from a very similar background. Few are friends. Most people seem to keep to themselves and have lunch at their desk. On the street where we live people seem to share a common age and demographic but when we have social events at the end of the block most people seem to struggle to make any connection with each other. I teach classes at a local Community College and the people who have sat next to each other for months make no effort to make conversation before or after class. Why is it so hard for people to find others they share any personal chemistry with? Our relationships with the people we interact with seem so distant and forced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 08:24 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,348,336 times
They have a fear of rejection and of being hurt so as long as they mind there own business, they don't have to deal with it.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:29 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,239,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
They have a fear of rejection and of being hurt so as long as they mind there own business, they don't have to deal with it.
that sounds about right. at least that's how I've gotten, sadly.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:35 AM

30 posts, read 71,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Teacher View Post
Why is it so hard for people to find others they share any personal chemistry with?
Did you take chemistry? That was HARD. I guess the real life application works the same way.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:09 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,838,232 times
Quote:
Or it could be that they just don't want to bother with a bunch of self involved, energy draining morons who get in their way.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:30 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,710,775 times
Quote:
This is my problem, the rejection. I have tried and have been hurt too many times to count. I am just not going to try so hard anymore. It also seems that people have "enough" friends already they don't want to bring anyone new into their circle........

Old 04-10-2008, 09:57 AM

545 posts, read 2,044,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Teacher View Post
In my office at work we have hundreds of people who come from a very similar background. Few are friends. Most people seem to keep to themselves and have lunch at their desk. On the street where we live people seem to share a common age and demographic but when we have social events at the end of the block most people seem to struggle to make any connection with each other. I teach classes at a local Community College and the people who have sat next to each other for months make no effort to make conversation before or after class. Why is it so hard for people to find others they share any personal chemistry with? Our relationships with the people we interact with seem so distant and forced.
e

REPLY: I have a theory on your question . I find many people to be protective of themselves , somewhat withdrawn, very cautious, not very assertive in revealing themselves in conversation or establishing conversation...because of past trust-busting events thats happened in thier lives. Some people have experienced alot of betrayal, been used, been gossiped about, been targetted by cliques at work , been thru difficult marriages/divorces...and i think it all adds up to what degree others are willing to let themselves be known . Of course some people may be just shy but i think the majority of people in society fall into what ive mentioned above. What ive found more and more, are people not willing to take the risk at meeting new people and putting forth the effort at deepening friendships. Can you relate at all to what im saying by this ?? Thanks.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:14 AM

8,957 posts, read 20,385,036 times
One answer that I seem to always come up with, "It's just the day-and-age we are living in". "So much crime, so much fear" can be another answer.
Actually, my wife and I have the same problem. We are 59 and 60 years old and have an extremely hard time making friends. Eight years ago, we use to Squaredance and had some friends then, but all they ever wanted to do was Squaredance.....more to life than Squaredancing every weekend. We got interested in an "older age" church group, but these folks literally had no interest in the things we liked to do....they were "to old" for us.
I find that people in general (all across the US) just aren't as friendly as they use to be years ago. About the only place you can find this "friendliness" anymore is in that "small town" environment. Statements like,
"Good Morning" "Hey, Joe, has that mare of yours had her foal yet", "How are your crops doing, Don". This is what I was use to hearing 45 years ago in my old farming town in Indiana. But, today, in the "big city" and "suburb" areas it's a very different thing.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:18 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,492,023 times
Here's another angle. People ,especially the younger ones, dont know how to communicate face to face any more! Email-facebook-texting. Always some form of non personal way to communicate. Conversation is a dying art in my opinion. Sad too!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:25 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,239,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
About the only place you can find this "friendliness" anymore is in that "small town" environment. Statements like,
"Good Morning" "Hey, Joe, has that mare of yours had her foal yet", "How are your crops doing, Don". This is what I was use to hearing 45 years ago in my old farming town in Indiana.
Then everybody knows ALL of your business. I'm not cool with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships