Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 11:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
I find myself letting my cell phone die more and more. It's great having a tech break, and a break from people.
I will just turn my phone off sometimes. I agree it's a needed break sometimes. I'll take my dog to a private park area, turn off the phone, take a book, maybe listen to some music.

I also do turn off the ringer on my phone for appointments and then forget to turn it back on, and people know I do this. I do think that's different than hanging up on someone, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Hopefully she remembers to do it back to her.
I'm just not that kind of person. I couldn't do that. I could just not answer the phone, or say I have to go now, or just ignore her phone calls and voicemails, which I did last year. But, I'm more straightforward than that. I'm not just going to deliberately hang up on people, unless we're arguing and I haven't done that in ages, but even back then I'd say, "I'm hanging up now." LOL.

I'm obviously not above giving a consequence, just not in behaving the same way.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:30 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Wow, that's challenging. I saw something about a little device you can attach to anything so you can find it again. But, I suppose you have to charge those, too, lol.
We have one of those in his wallet and another on his keys, but there’s no way to attach it well to the phone, lol.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:47 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
I don't buy it. Does anybody? At least more than once?

I have a friend who will just cut off a conversation when she either is bored or arrives where she's going or whatever. Just, no connection mid-sentence. Then, the next day I get the excuse that so sorry, her phone died.

If it happened once, or maybe twice in a 12 month period, I "might" believe it. But, every other week? Even if it's true, it's unacceptable. Charge your dang phone.

Funny thing, though, is that whenever she needs my help, she doesn't have these issues - or at most, they are instantly resolved. When I need her help? Huh, phone died mid-conversation.

I guess the moral of the story for me, anyway, is to stop being available to this kind of person.

But, have you dealt with the same situation where supposedly someone's phone magically died when you were in the middle of talking, and they didn't get back to you for a day? Hello, can't everyone else just plug their phone in? I know I can.
I will only say that I can TOTALLY relate to this, except that I never ask for anything in return except for her to commit to a time after she says that she is going to see me. She lives about 225 miles away, so if she says that she will be coming to see us "next weekend", I would like her to at least commit to a specific day and within hopefully a two or three hour time frame no later than the day before she plans to arrive! Unfortunately, however, this person is my daughter, so at this point anyway, I cannot cut her from my life. (Yes, there is a lot more going on between us than just this one issue!)

So, the only solution for ME is to not expect anything from her whatsoever. And, to be completely honest, if she were a "friend" or casual acquaintance, I would not have anything to do with her at all -- however, you do have that choice, so it is up to you whether or not you think that friendship is worth the aggravation.

Last edited by katharsis; 10-17-2019 at 07:58 AM..

Old 10-17-2019, 11:53 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
I'm just not that kind of person. I couldn't do that. I could just not answer the phone, or say I have to go now, or just ignore her phone calls and voicemails, which I did last year. But, I'm more straightforward than that. I'm not just going to deliberately hang up on people, unless we're arguing and I haven't done that in ages, but even back then I'd say, "I'm hanging up now." LOL.

I'm obviously not above giving a consequence, just not in behaving the same way.
I'm not that kind of person either but I sure do wish I was at times...

Old 10-17-2019, 09:03 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,560,659 times
Quote:
I will just turn my phone off sometimes. I agree it's a needed break sometimes. I'll take my dog to a private park area, turn off the phone, take a book, maybe listen to some music.

I also do turn off the ringer on my phone for appointments and then forget to turn it back on, and people know I do this. I do think that's different than hanging up on someone, though.
Yeah , definitely. Keeping ringer and/or phone off is much different from cutting the call short.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I will only say that I can TOTALLY relate to this, except that I never ask for anything in return except for her to commit to a time after she says that she is going to see me. She lives about 225 miles away, so if she says that she will be coming to see us "next weekend", I would like her to at least commit to a specific day and within hopefully a two or three hour time frame no later than the day before she plans to arrive! Unfortunately, however, this person is my daughter, so at this point anyway, I cannot cut her from my life. (Yes, there is a lot more going on between us than just this one issue!)

So, the only solution for ME is to not expect anything from her whatsoever. And, to be completely honest, if she were a "friend" or casual acquaintance, I would not have anything to do with her at all -- however, you do have that choice, so it is up to you whether or not you think that friendship is worth the aggravation.
OMG, I also understand this dilemma. I went through a different but similar thing with my daughter. I highly encourage you to also set boundaries with your daughter. At some point we all have to realize we're all adults, even if we're related. We shouldn't have to put up with more from an adult just because we share DNA.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:11 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
OMG, I also understand this dilemma. I went through a different but similar thing with my daughter. I highly encourage you to also set boundaries with your daughter. At some point we all have to realize we're all adults, even if we're related. We shouldn't have to put up with more from an adult just because we share DNA.
Actually, btw, we don't even share DNA because we adopted her when she was six years old! (And thanks for your response.)

Old 10-20-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Actually, btw, we don't even share DNA because we adopted her when she was six years old! (And thanks for your response.)
Goes to show, brats are not necessarily the byproducts of genetics. I think my daughter is a byproduct of the guilt of divorced parents who also competed for her affection. AKA guilt= spoiled brats.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:48 PM

41,969 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
I have a friend who frequently says he did not get the message on the phone or his phone does not work using the same excuse for about 8 years.
Is his carrier Verizon? Verizon is notorious for messages that don't show up on the phone, and then a month later you're listening to your messages and an old message you didn't even know about pops up.

Quote:
There would have been nothing wrong with her just telling me she's falling asleep and maybe we could talk some more tomorrow, or something like that.
Have you told her that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
When I want to end a conversation, I say, "Listen, I'm going to have to let you go now -- there's stuff I have to do." Usually the other person says, "OK, talk to you later." And that's the end.
That's common sense, and common sense isn't allowed in City-Data world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships