Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 08:51 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times

Advertisements

I don't buy it. Does anybody? At least more than once?

I have a friend who will just cut off a conversation when she either is bored or arrives where she's going or whatever. Just, no connection mid-sentence.

Then, the next day I get the excuse that so sorry, her phone died.

If it happened once, or maybe twice in a 12 month period, I "might" believe it. But, every other week?

Even if it's true, it's unacceptable. Charge your dang phone.

Funny thing, though, is that whenever she needs my help, she doesn't have these issues - or at most, they are instantly resolved.

When I need her help? Huh, phone died mid-conversation.

I guess the moral of the story for me, anyway, is to stop being available to this kind of person.

But, have you dealt with the same situation where supposedly someone's phone magically died when you were in the middle of talking, and they didn't get back to you for a day? Hello, can't everyone else just plug their phone in? I know I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 08:53 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

I guess the moral of the story for me, anyway, is to stop being available to this kind of person.
Yes.

If she's not smart enough to plug her phone in well before it gets to 20%, you don't need her in your life.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:38 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
I tried to respond to this earlier, but my phone...

I was intrigued by your statement that she ends the conversation when she gets bored. How do you know she's bored?

Maybe make your conversations a whole lot shorter. You can be the one who says, "Oops, look at the time. Gotta go!"

Old 10-13-2019, 09:51 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I tried to respond to this earlier, but my phone...

I was intrigued by your statement that she ends the conversation when she gets bored. How do you know she's bored?

Maybe make your conversations a whole lot shorter. You can be the one who says, "Oops, look at the time. Gotta go!"
I get your point, but what about communication skills? How about she says "Opps look at the time, gotta go?"

I happened to be talking about stuff related to my mother dying that day. So, I would think this time, she might put up with a little extra ranting. I can't believe she just cut me off.

Well, actually, I can. She's very self-centered and pretty much only wants me in her life when she wants me to do something for her.

But, no, I don't think it's on the recipient to sense when the other party is considering faking a phone dying. I think it's on an adult being able to communicate that they want to go to bed now, etc. I mean, that just precipitates the idea that their discomfort is always someone else's fault and that they should never have to deal with discomfort with regards to anyone else's needs.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:21 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
I don't know anyone who lies about their phone dying to end a boring conversation. I must have inadvertently weeded that type out of my life.

Why are you friends with this person again?

Old 10-14-2019, 08:40 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
OP, you're smart enough and experienced enough to know you can't change anyone else, only yourself. I think most of the rest of us know that, too.

So what do you want us to tell you?

Old 10-14-2019, 08:40 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,214,784 times
Turn it around on her and start clicking off before she does. Make up a more fantastic excuse than hers like, "my phone caught on fire". She should get the point. In all honesty, I've used the "dropped call" excuse before to end a conversation.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:42 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,933,539 times
I haven't dealt with this particular issue and it would drive me crazy. It's so rude.

I have a problem with people who say interrupt me to say, "sorry, but I really have to go" and then proceed to talk for 5 minutes about themselves. There's one family member who does this and it drives us all nuts.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:49 AM

12,061 posts, read 10,266,099 times
I know several people that do this or either just forget their phones.

People with spouses on hospice, people with kids and grandkids that they say they would do anything for them - except answer the phone - lol

I used to be on call 24/7 back in the day - so i guess old habits die hard and my source of communication is ready to go! I even have a solar charger in case we lose power. Crazy right?

I just figure they have other things more important in their lives besides their kids and sick spouses

Old 10-14-2019, 09:56 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
If you want to cut someone off in a conversation and have them believe it was inadvertent, launch into a story of your own and then hang up while you're the one talking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships